• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Hopefully a new young sprinter...

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
jazzcyclist said:
I don't think Zabel, McEwen, Cipollini or Abdoujaparov could have dealt with Cavendish, since I never saw any of them ride other top sprinters off their wheel the way Cavendish routinely does.

I think you are being a bit blinkered when looking back there. True, I think Zable was a bit more like Thor in that he would win but with smaller margins. Both Mario and Robbie did that on numerous ocassions. They were both sprinters that were capable of creating enough spare road to be able to look over their shoulders at the field with their hands in the air.

One thing I hope to see is for people to start copying Cavendish's aerodynamic sprinting style. It's so clear every time you see a sprint from the front that he has a far superior position on the bike that gets him lower over the handlebars giving him a much smaller profile into the wind. If other sprinters could work on the same things there is a chance someone can close the gap that Cav has buildt up.

hrotha said:
Theo Bos is two years older than Cavendish. Okay, so he's new to the road and all that, but I don't see it.

The worst part is there's no reason to think Cavendish won't get better, as long as he remains focused.
For Theo Bos, this is his first year as a pro road cyclist. And he was actually a sprinter on the track, Cavendish wasn't. Bos's top speed is higher, but he needs to learn to position himself (he's a bit like EBH in that way), and of course he needs to find a way to translate that top speed to the road, after having 200 km in his legs.

They'll both do the Vuelta, so we'll know a little more by then... although probably Cav is still by far the strongest. Theo Bos did beat him earlier this year, though. But that was before Cav learned to sprint again.

Oh, and about the class: Theo Bos has shown far more class in his short road career than Cav has. Fact.

No way Sagan is gonna compete with Cav (as he shouldn't, would love to see him develop skills like Bettini).

My pick would be Michael Matthews, even though I've never actually seen him sprint. But he's young, wins consistently and is part of the Australian track program, should be interesting to see.

Of the current sprinters I would say Farrar (looking good this season when not injured), Bos (has to have more exp) and Chicchi (too inconsistent).
But gotta give Cav that he looked far superior than the other sprinters this tour...

Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Kazistuta said:
No way Sagan is gonna compete with Cav (as he shouldn't, would love to see him develop skills like Bettini).
Personally I hope he may become a GC contender. The guy is fun to watch and has much talent.

SpartacusRox

BANNED
May 6, 2010
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Theo Bos is the best hope there is.

Not only does he has mad track speed. He also has the skills to throw Cavendish into the barriers when Cavendish starts head barging.

Theo doesn't need to wait that long to start throwing people into barriers. Personally I think he has no show against Cav 9 times out of 10.

Feb 28, 2010
Visit site
goggalor said:
The UCI accusing anyone of undermining the image of cycling is just laughable.

And Bos is a class rider. Class isn't something that's lost in a split second.

Have you seen the video of what he did?

SpartacusRox

BANNED
May 6, 2010
Visit site
riobonito92 said:
If Cav and Bos both started side by side at walking pace with 200 to go, I would tip Bos. Otherwise, I don't see he has the positional sense or the high end endurance to beat the manx missile.

I agree, Haussler on form is the only one likely to beat Cav at the moment. Possibly Farrar if Cav stuffs up but all things being equal, no.

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
Theo Boss is a mug. What on earth possessed him to do that?!?! He will never match Cav.

It is good that this new wave of sprinters seemes to be appearing. Tyler, EBH, Sagan, Bole, Greipel, Cav, Ciolek. Could have some good races next year. Personally I'm really excited about the 3-way battle between Greipel, Farrar and Cav next year.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
unsheath said:
Hopefully the rumours of Ciolek moving back to HTC are not true. Huge backward step in my opinion and you can't have 2 alpha males in the same team.

Im not sure OPL is the best fit for Griepel since they have now uncovered a new GT rider in JVDB. There was always an undercurrent of discontent when there were split motives of Evans and McEwan.

what do you mean?? Ciolek has failed as a sprinter and will now try to be like an erik zabel in his older days or hushovd now. focus on harder races and stages.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Denkoff said:
Denis Galymzyanov has good potential, 2-3 years and he beat Cavendish, and Sahca Modolo too good young talent

galimzyanov has the speed but doesn't have the the capcity to do well after even 150 km. he can't get over the smallest hill and is very limited rider. he's like stroetinga.

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
Thing is, most of those mentioned are older than Cav!

It's all in Cav's hands for the next couple of seasons at least if you ask me. IF (and in sport it's always a big if) he stays healthy and focused those guys aren't going to catch him.

Someone will though eventually, or Cav will pursue other goals at the expense of his outright sprinting or bad luck/bad decisions will give the others a chance.

Will he beat Merckx 34 TdF stage wins?

He has one more than Merckx at the same age although EM had only done two TdFs at 25. Merckx only did 7 TdFs in total but then he cheated by winning mountainstages and TTs as well!:D

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
bos is 26. but only started on road sicne last year. So you can disregard he's older than cavendish it isn't as if you are 26 you stop growing. and with such a lack of experience in road the progression curve is inmense with bos. Look at the difference with him this year and last year. Just look at paris-roubaix for instance how well he did, despite flatting before forret arenberg

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
Bobby G said:
Agreed. Would be like trying to get Hoy to have a go on the road!

He is big i give you that, Not huge though. 13 stone or something about the same or slightly heavier than Greiple.

Hoy is gigantic and miles bigger..

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
unsheath said:
Hopefully the rumours of Ciolek moving back to HTC are not true. Huge backward step in my opinion and you can't have 2 alpha males in the same team.

Im not sure OPL is the best fit for Griepel since they have now uncovered a new GT rider in JVDB. There was always an undercurrent of discontent when there were split motives of Evans and McEwan.

I'm not sure Ciolek is an alpha-male... he very well may be okay leading out Cav in the Tour if he gets the Vuelta for himself. Anyway... isn't the other team mentioned Cervelo... who already have Haussler and Hushovd?

El Pistolero said:
Well, Cavendish also comes from track, no?
But from an endurance number.

Theo Bos comes from track sprinting. Huge difference.
On the track, Cavendish couldn't even come close to Bos in terms of sprinting. Because in pure speed Theo Bos is far superior.

After a 200km race however, sprinting is completely different and ofcourse Cavendish has the upper hand. He doesn't lose speed after a hard race. Guys like Theo Bos, or for instance Juan Jose Haedo, do lose speed.

A

Anonymous

jazzcyclist said:
I don't think Zabel, McEwen, Cipollini or Abdoujaparov could have dealt with Cavendish, since I never saw any of them ride other top sprinters off their wheel the way Cavendish routinely does. Currently, even Farrar can't hold his wheel. How can you beat a guy when you can't even hold his wheel?

Wow, well, that is not reflective of the actual sprints those men did. Cav is also sprinting against much inferior competition by comparison.

Anyway, I composed a list of young sprinters who might one day be able to threaten Cavendish. Ofcourse, most are a long shot, but have shown promising things already.
The first 2 are obvious ones but look like not enough of a pure sprinter. The rest of the list are all wild guesses really. They are all fast, but will they ever make it?

-Edvald Boasson Hagen (Sky)
-Gerald Ciolek (Milram)
-Matthew Goss (Team HTC-Columbia)
-Jens Keukeleire (Cofidis)
-Kris Boeckmans (Topsport Vlaanderen)
-Jacopo Guarnieri (Liquigas)
-Fabio Sabatini (Liquigas)
-Kristof Goddaert (AG2R)
-Ben Swift (Katusha)
-Michael Matthews (Jayco)
-Sacha Modolo (Colnago)
-Boy van Poppel (Rabobank CT)

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Anyway, I composed a list of young sprinters who might one day be able to threaten Cavendish. Ofcourse, most are a long shot, but have shown promising things already.
The first 2 are obvious ones but look like not enough of a pure sprinter. The rest of the list are all wild guesses really. They are all fast, but will they ever make it?

-Edvald Boasson Hagen (Sky)
-Gerald Ciolek (Milram)
-Matthew Goss (Team HTC-Columbia)
-Jens Keukeleire (Cofidis)
-Kris Boeckmans (Topsport Vlaanderen)
-Jacopo Guarnieri (Liquigas)
-Fabio Sabatini (Liquigas)
-Kristof Goddaert (AG2R)
-Ben Swift (Katusha)
-Michael Matthews (Jayco)
-Sacha Modolo (Colnago)
-Boy van Poppel (Rabobank CT)

Swift rides for sky now but he is fast, Jurgen Roelandts is another to look out for, he had a decent tour and was improving as it went on.