• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Horner's Tour: Video Diary Links

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Apr 11, 2009
Visit site
Look at that: 15th place overall, and he wasn't even going to be taken to the Tour. :D

Four minutes ahead of Menchov, 6 mins. ahead of Valverde, 8 mins. ahead of Scarponi, etc. That said there might be latent health issues. Not sure how risky this is for a guy who was on blood thinners earlier in the year, and whether the team was concerned about that.

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Parrot23 said:
Look at that: 15th place overall, and he wasn't even going to be taken to the Tour. :D

Four minutes ahead of Menchov, 6 mins. ahead of Valverde, 8 mins. ahead of Scarponi, etc. That said there might be latent health issues. Not sure how risky this is for a guy who was on blood thinners earlier in the year, and whether the team was concerned about that.

He says he just didn't drink enough. I know what he is talking about... when you climb for an hour and then a long descent. Usually you can ride through it, but it can almost stop you.

I think it makes sense with the descents so technical that it would be very difficult to drink enough. Others may not have stopped but certainly suffered the effects. Not something you see often and maybe some old-guy wisdom on Horner's part.

Apr 11, 2009
Visit site
"That said there might be latent health issues. Not sure how risky this is for a guy who was on blood thinners earlier in the year, and whether the team was concerned about that."

Billy, by this I meant why he may not have been considered for the Tour in the first place, or why RS had cold feet.

Looks like we are just talking about other things.

Oct 16, 2009
Visit site
BillytheKid said:
Stage 11:Cramping in both legs and forced to stop.

A direct link and not the general video page, no I guess not Froome and others too.
http://bcove.me/20ageh8r
Froome seems like a great guy and I love watching him climb. Him vs. Cobo on Peña Cabarga was so epic. I don't mind Wiggo either, but I'd love it if Froome won this thing. Funny to see Andreu complimented at the end there also. :)

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Parrot23 said:
"That said there might be latent health issues. Not sure how risky this is for a guy who was on blood thinners earlier in the year, and whether the team was concerned about that."

Billy, by this I meant why he may not have been considered for the Tour in the first place, or why RS had cold feet.

Looks like we are just talking about other things.

You know bicycle racing is dangerous and not only from crashes. Chris Horner has race a long career, and I am sure he would not be out there if he had a serious health risk. I live at the foot of a 10,600 foot moutain which from where I live is about 5000 feet of climbing. The actual main climb is about 3500 (step climbs to get to that point) feet of climbing. The point is if ride 70 miles before that and then do a 14-mile climb (under an hour isafairly good), then descend, I can tell you when facing the first 400 meter hill I have experience bad cramping. (even when I felt I had been drinking enough) I never had a case while riding were I actually has to stop, but I can remember considering it. Bad cramps can happen hours after a ride as well.

Horner was not the only rider that had cramps I'll warrent, but apparently his, in both legs, took him off the bike for a breif period to down a bottle. When he said "I blew it, I think he was really disapointed that it was a fundemental error that took away a chance to place even better.

I think you, wether you know or not, are implying that he is unfit to race. I look at it as unusual to stop, but perhaps really smart in that he did not loose more time in the end. Horner's middle name is "unconventional."

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Parrot23 said:
+1. And a good TV commentator or analyst. Would sort out what's what on the road.

+1 Nissan is sponsoring his training program, I have not looked at it yet, but I take it as sign one of his sponsors is on board. I think Horner could "brand" himself for multiple post racing options.

I don't think he could find a home with NBC, but it would be interesting if Eurosport picked him up for some races. Harmon, Kelly and Horner. That might be lively.