• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Horse racing, Sir Herny Cecil's wilderness years

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Pulpstar said:
Doping clearly does go on in racing - Al Zarooni is obviously clear evidence of that. In addition different substances are legal in different juristictions.
As well as the fact you can use substances like bute on domestic horses but not racing stock.

Sir Henry though ? Doubt it but hey ho you never know.

One thing about the heart attack, horses heart rates go from ~ 30 at rest to ~ 240 at full exertion. Thats a HUGE range ( > Human athletes - 30 bpm - 200 tops maybe) and their hearts are obviously larger than human hearts so I'd think their risk of a heart attack are probably far higher than a human after a race. Not really evidence of doping.

Didnt say it was, just asking was it suspicious.

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
Carols said:
None of you folks have a clue about horses or racing...that is obvious. EPO will kill a horse standing in it's stall; 'nuff said.

Really?

I've read various things talking about Horses and EPO, Trainers alleging use etc none said it kills them dead.

Could you provide a link to something that says it kills them in the stalls, thanks.

Cyivel said:
Really?

I've read various things talking about Horses and EPO, Trainers alleging use etc none said it kills them dead.

Could you provide a link to something that says it kills them in the stalls, thanks.

Just like the cyclists that died in their sleep, horses kept inactive with thickened blood can die in their stall. There was a spate of deaths back in 2001-2002 I think, before a test was developed (in 2003).

Trying to find something back that far as they got smarter and walked the horses much more often to keep the blood moving.

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
Carols said:
Just like the cyclists that died in their sleep, horses kept inactive with thickened blood can die in their stall. There was a spate of deaths back in 2001-2002 I think, before a test was developed (in 2003).

Trying to find something back that far as they got smarter and walked the horses much more often to keep the blood moving.

OK, maybe I misunderstood what you were saying, I thought you were suggesting nobody would give horses EPO as they would definitely die, I don't disagree with the opinion that EPO can be dangerous for horses, it's just that horses have been given EPO to enhance performance and not died.

Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au
Cyivel said:
OK, maybe I misunderstood what you were saying, I thought you were suggesting nobody would give horses EPO as they would definitely die, I don't disagree with the opinion that EPO can be dangerous for horses, it's just that horses have been given EPO to enhance performance and not died.

Carols said:
None of you folks have a clue about horses or racing...that is obvious. EPO will kill a horse standing in it's stall; 'nuff said.

It's pretty much what she said.