• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

horse steroids allowed out of competition?

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
well.. maybe this is common knowledge, but seems like a huge loophole to me. So basically everyone can go to Teide, load up on these and then come back down and race cleans? So maybe the Dawg took a bit too much and didn't have time to get it out of his system and hence the emergency TUE?

So here’s something interesting…chatting to Dr Jeroen Swart, respected sports physician & coach, and he points out that the use of corticosteroids (like prednisone that Galen Rupp is alleged to have used) is prohibited ONLY IN-COMPETITION, with TUEs for certain cases.

The glucocorticoids are not listed as “Prohibited at all times” (see screen grabs from the WADA prohibited list below – the list of prohibited at all times list is on the left, and in-competition is on the right), which means out-of-competition, you don’t even need a TUE, there’s no restriction.

In other words, athletes can use corticosteroids, with all their benefits, until about a week before competition, and they wouldn’t even need a TUE for it.

http://sportsscientists.com/2015/06/a-no-good-week-for-doping-in-sport/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+blogspot%2FcJKs+%28The+Science+of+Sport%29

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
the brief answer is yes.
i remember raising this issue a couple of times, and got pretty detailed and clarifying answers from Cathwoorg and King Boonen. Don't remember in which thread(s) though and in the current forum format looking for it is not as easy as it used to be.

Oct 21, 2014
Visit site
Well that's unbelievable..I didn't know that..so you can jet off to Columbia for 6 weeks..probably never get tested for anything while you are there..stack up on legal out of competition corticoids and come back like ten men but riding clean..Wonder if there have been any out of competition tests done in Columbia recently...!

If you get a low Cortizol reading before a big Tour like the Giro because you have been hammering the Corticoids you can either pull a TUE out for an inhaler if you need to proove inocence to the MPCC..or just fall out with the MPCC before the start of the race and ride anyway! The UCI doesn't stop a rider for low Cortizol anyway.

Only thing I don't get is I thought the MPCC pulled riders from competition for 8 days if they need a TUE?..

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Re:

cnc-it said:
Well that's unbelievable..I didn't know that..so you can jet off to Columbia for 6 weeks..probably never get tested for anything while you are there..stack up on legal out of competition corticoids and come back like ten men but riding clean..Wonder if there have been any out of competition tests done in Columbia recently...!

If you get a low Cortizol reading before a big Tour like the Giro because you have been hammering the Corticoids you can either pull a TUE out for an inhaler if you need to proove inocence to the MPCC..or just fall out with the MPCC before the start of the race and ride anyway! The UCI doesn't stop a rider for low Cortizol anyway.

Only thing I don't get is I thought the MPCC pulled riders from competition for 8 days if they need a TUE?..
To the bald:

Correct, thats why from the GC guys you can only trust the Astana's.

Re:

sniper said:
the brief answer is yes.
i remember raising this issue a couple of times, and got pretty detailed and clarifying answers from Cathwoorg and King Boonen. Don't remember in which thread(s) though and in the current forum format looking for it is not as easy as it used to be.

Had a quick search, all I could find was a discussion of Froome's TUE so I won't bring all that back again! :D

I'm guessing any detail was related to the questions you asked as there's not much more info than a simple yes, they are allowed, that I could give to The Sceptic's first post.

They are on the watched list for 2015:

https://wada-main-prod.s3.amazonaws.com/resources/files/wada-2015-monitoring-program-en.pdf

So an event like this might force WADA to ban them.

Re: Re:

Fearless Greg Lemond said:
cnc-it said:

To the bald:

Unless they have changed the rules recently that is not correct. Only Intra-articular corticosteroid injections result in riders being pulled from competition for 8 days.

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Boonen, injections are prohibited even by UCI rules, so, Astana is still the most believable team out there. But perhaps you can show me the document - link me up Scotty as would doc Maerati tell us - of my misinterpretation.

Or, are we talking about saddlesorecreams?

Okay, then all is allowed.

;)

cnc-it said:

To the bald:

That's hilarious!...because truth in comedy is what makes something funny.

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site

cnc-it said:

To the bald:

looks like they misread it and thought it was "Movement For Incredible Cycling"

Re:

Boonen, injections are prohibited even by UCI rules, so, Astana is still the most believable team out there. But perhaps you can show me the document - link me up Scotty as would doc Maerati tell us - of my misinterpretation.

Or, are we talking about saddlesorecreams?

Okay, then all is allowed.

;)

http://www.mpcc.fr/index.php/en/mpcc-uk

There's the rules, it's number 4 that's relevant. It specifies intra-articular injections, so intra-muscular would be allowed, tablets, creams etc. etc.

Oct 21, 2014
Visit site
Don't forget the Colombian resurrection...now cycling is clean in Europe they can compete at a good level once more and follow in the foot steps of the great Lucho Herrera, there only vice being the large amounts of Cafe De Columbia they consume every day :D Just try repeating it over and over and eventually it starts to sound convincing!

the sceptic said:
well.. maybe this is common knowledge, but seems like a huge loophole to me. So basically everyone can go to Teide, load up on these and then come back down and race cleans? So maybe the Dawg took a bit too much and didn't have time to get it out of his system and hence the emergency TUE?

So here’s something interesting…chatting to Dr Jeroen Swart, respected sports physician & coach, and he points out that the use of corticosteroids (like prednisone that Galen Rupp is alleged to have used) is prohibited ONLY IN-COMPETITION, with TUEs for certain cases.

The glucocorticoids are not listed as “Prohibited at all times” (see screen grabs from the WADA prohibited list below – the list of prohibited at all times list is on the left, and in-competition is on the right), which means out-of-competition, you don’t even need a TUE, there’s no restriction.

In other words, athletes can use corticosteroids, with all their benefits, until about a week before competition, and they wouldn’t even need a TUE for it.

http://sportsscientists.com/2015/06/a-no-good-week-for-doping-in-sport/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+blogspot%2FcJKs+%28The+Science+of+Sport%29

This was covered last year ad infinitum wasn't it? Its the well known loophole, and of course cortico's can help with weight loss whilst maintaining power.

Jun 26, 2012
Visit site
the sceptic said:
took a bit too much and didn't have time to get it out of his system and hence the emergency TUE?

Problem with prolonged use of corticosteroids is that you can't just stop taking them, because they suppress adrenal gland and after stopping, it can't return them to normal levels, which can lead to health complications, especially in stressful environment.

Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au
nogav1ca said:
the sceptic said:
took a bit too much and didn't have time to get it out of his system and hence the emergency TUE?

Problem with prolonged use of corticosteroids is that you can't just stop taking them, because they suppress adrenal gland and after stopping, it can't return them to normal levels, which can lead to health complications, especially in stressful environment.

Like hypothyroid issues...now where have we heard that problem before...

TRENDING THREADS