Hot racing coming up in Australia

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Two fully GB teams have been entered and one NZ team, which interestingly doesn't include Henderson, who is riding for Degani.

Is Oram from N.Z related to the big hitting cricketer Jacob Oram?
 
Dec 30, 2009
85
0
0
Mens big guns look like being Howard and Docker from OGE, Von Hoff, Palmer, Henderson and the Bikebug pair of Cantwell and Ewan. Anyone with other picks or inside info?
Davidson, Giacoppo, Law, Rogers will also be in contention of the win.
 
I have been spruiking Ewan since watching him last year at the Bay Crits. I can't recall who it was but an ex rider commentating on SBS said that he could climb "all day" when being asked about him. He may well turn out to be the next Cadel rather than McEwan.

Going by that interview he may not get the chance to sprint, especially being a teamate of Cantwell but lets hope he does and we can watch him with interest at Portarlington which is the toughest of the 3 days.

Great summer weather for the 3 days of Bay Crits, with the really warm weather arriving for the final day and the first day of the Sun Tour.
 
Jun 16, 2009
19,657
0
0
Wilba60 said:
I have been spruiking Ewan since watching him last year at the Bay Crits. I can't recall who it was but an ex rider commentating on SBS said that he could climb "all day" when being asked about him. He may well turn out to be the next Cadel rather than McEwan.

Going by that interview he may not get the chance to sprint, especially being a teamate of Cantwell but lets hope he does and we can watch him with interest at Portarlington which is the toughest of the 3 days.

Great summer weather for the 3 days of Bay Crits, with the really warm weather arriving for the final day and the first day of the Sun Tour.
I would say he is more a sprinter. The speed he has in the sprints at this young age would indicate that he should pursue that.
 
auscyclefan94 said:
I would say he is more a sprinter. The speed he has in the sprints at this young age would indicate that he should pursue that.
ACF, no doubt you are right at this stage and I think he will start his career as a sprinter but I just have this feeling about him. Any moves to a more Cadel type rider wouldn't happen for a number of years. Will have to reflect on this in about 8-10 years time, can you remind me in 2020 to review :)

Beautiful day for the first of the Bay Crits. Work for me today, so will have to rely on SBS highlights tonight.
 
Jun 11, 2011
473
0
0
even better racing coming up in northern Europe, Rotterdam 6 starts in a couple of days, the cylcocross season is going strong, Berlin & Coppenhagen 6's, then Het Volk!




 
Bye Bye Bicycle said:
New Year's Day Criterium Gold Coast / Daniel Bennett Memorial Race



1st Robbie McEwen
2nd Michael Hepburn
3rd Ian Richards
4th Peter Thompson
Prime 1 Michael Hepburn
Prime 2 Nicholas Woods
Prime 3 Nicholas Schultz
Robbie keeps cleaning up. Wonder if he had bike cam going again?

Well done to Caleb Ewan, lets see how he goes on the tougher Portarlington circuit.
 
Wilba60 said:
ACF, no doubt you are right at this stage and I think he will start his career as a sprinter but I just have this feeling about him. Any moves to a more Cadel type rider wouldn't happen for a number of years. Will have to reflect on this in about 8-10 years time, can you remind me in 2020 to review :)

t.
I think he'll be a sprinter who can get over a hill. The Oscar Freire type !
 
Jan 30, 2011
802
0
0
Michele said:
Glad that Caleb Ewan confirmed himself this year as well.
What a promising kid!
Yeah. he's a huge talent on the road or the track. Whether he's climbing, riding track enduro or sprints, he has it all.

I hope he continues to develop over the coming years because he has a nice, relaxed temperament as well.

The way he beat Renshaw and Graeme Brown recently at the Clarence Street Cyclery Cup and has then beat other big names on the road - he certainly has a bright future.

Regards,

Peter
 
Didn't realize that Ewan's coach is Brad McGee. Wonder if he will direct Ewan to Orica GreenEdge? Would be a real pity if the Aussie OGE team misses out on him. Can anyone help with the qualification rules re. age on world tour teams, is Ewan too young yet to be signed? Matt Goss may not want him at OGE, he looks to be quicker than Docker, Howard and Kroupis....not sure how he would go against a fit and ready to ride Goss.

OGE must be looking at replacing Julian Dean who has retired. If Ewan is too young, any ideas on who they might sign?
 
May 27, 2010
868
0
0
Wilba60 said:
Didn't realize that Ewan's coach is Brad McGee. Wonder if he will direct Ewan to Orica GreenEdge? Would be a real pity if the Aussie OGE team misses out on him. Can anyone help with the qualification rules re. age on world tour teams, is Ewan too young yet to be signed? Matt Goss may not want him at OGE, he looks to be quicker than Docker, Howard and Kroupis....not sure how he would go against a fit and ready to ride Goss.

OGE must be looking at replacing Julian Dean who has retired. If Ewan is too young, any ideas on who they might sign?
Being a first year U23 they could sign him but I think he's going to spend a year with the feeder team (Jayco-AIS) first. He was riding a Scott yesterday
 
Jul 4, 2011
1,899
0
0
woodie said:
Being a first year U23 they could sign him but I think he's going to spend a year with the feeder team (Jayco-AIS) first. He was riding a Scott yesterday
Jayco AIS has ceased to exist. The whole AIS programme has been revamped and it should be national team like (as they did with Eclipse's Jayco Honey Shotz team in Singkarak and other Asian races this year) and will not be a full fledged continental team.

Jane Aubrey (one of CN's best imo) reported on it extensively around the start of October. Search 2 retain will now take over from Eclipse in Asia for the young uns' development, which looks to be Cam Bayly and maybe even Van Der Ploeg.

Ewan may still need to find a club.
 
Apr 14, 2010
727
0
0
Ferminal said:
Ewan will surely be one of those racing out of Varese though?
Correct.

There were a number of teams sniffing around looking for him (Im sure one of which was Brad's old team Saxo with Brad now being his coach), he has/had a number of options including going straight up to seniors, however he has been given some good advice not to rush and looks set for at least 1 year in the u23s
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS