• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Hot racing coming up in Australia

Page 20 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I have a feeling Gerrans will win this race again, he's ageing but knows how to win this race plus I think an early season win is important as I doubt he will get the same chances to be a leader in the bigger races as he has in previous seasons, personally I'd be happy if he doesn't win this race. Porte could win just to give false hope to his fanboys that this is the year he finishes on the podium in a GT, always love reading the Porte thread on this forum as it's good for a laugh. I think McCarthy, Ulissi are good chances and it wouldn't surprise to see Morton and Haas do well.

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
Over the years, I said it million times, but year after year, you can tell it's a mandatory race as the riders are not even interested being in the break ... it a shame they are required to participate as there are tons of smaller teams that would love to race here

Edit: The organizers just realized the race sucks ... because it's too hot and the race has been shortened ... good move by the organizers

Re:

Jancouver said:
Over the years, I said it million times, but year after year, you can tell it's a mandatory race as the riders are not even interested being in the break ... it a shame they are required to participate as there are tons of smaller teams that would love to race here

Edit: The organizers just realized the race sucks ... because it's too hot and the race has been shortened ... good move by the organizers

I actually think the teams and riders enjoy racing down here but from reading the posts you've made about the TDU over the years this is a useless argument to have with you :D

It was a good move shortening today's stage, 41c with the winds is damn tough conditions.

Re:

vedrafjord said:
I've noticed I'm starting to follow the growing Australian mini-season more and more every year. I'm sure there'll always be traditionalists that say the season starts with Paris-Nice, but it's nice to have meaningful racing in January with a decent field, decent crowds, and some nice balanced stages that give a lot of riders the chance of victory. If you want to grow the sport, this is the way to do it, not racing in pan-flat oil-rich dictatorships with no spectators.

Now, if someone could bring pro racing back to Ireland...

I thought the traditionalists said the season started with Omloop. Or are you talking the Stage-race season?

Jancouver said:

You sometimes see (flat) stages in the Tour where (next to) nobody is interested in being in the break.

It's actually interesting that no media are allowed to ask the Orica rider's their GC schedule for 2017 - The team is keeping their cards close to their chest.

TDU is Porte's too lose - Sergio Henao is a big chance - Ullisi is an outside chance as is Gesink and Woods.

Re:

greenedge said:
If everyone is assuming Gerrans is dropped will Haas and McCarthy be too (they share the same qualities, although McCarthy is probably the best climber of them all)?

Can't see why McCarthy can't hold on tomorrow and the same goes for Haas, it's a difficult finish but that all depends on how hard they race it after descending Norton's, it's also not a certainty that Gerrans gets dropped.

Re: Re:

StryderHells said:
Jancouver said:

I actually think the teams and riders enjoy racing down here but from reading the posts you've made about the TDU over the years this is a useless argument to have with you :D

It was a good move shortening today's stage, 41c with the winds is damn tough conditions.
Don't worry about Jancouver. January is the only month that he posts now, just to remind us all how much he dislikes the TDU. He's been doing it for a few years now.

:surprised:

Okay, I'd heard that he'd been replaced by Ellisonde because of illness, but I thought it was simply a stomach bug or something like that.

TMP402 said:
Also striking again was Phil Liggett, who merged two riders to create "Danny Boy van Poppel".

Wonder what would happen if they one day were to sprint against each other...

TRENDING THREADS