• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Hot racing coming up in Australia

Page 70 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
It seems that it feels good to dont have a big leader like Cancellara or Contador at Trek. Last year they had the same number of victories like they have now (6) in July after NC

How can a selective part of a stage be neutralised when the weather and road are exactly as anyone would have predicted?

The teams knew what the road map was when they selected their riders and their equipment, so what reason have they to complain?

If the organisers don't want the gravel roads to be selective, why did they include them in the parcours?

Jan 21, 2018
Visit site
Re: Re:

Armchair cyclist said:
RedheadDane said:
They didn't. They weren't originally supposed to go on the gravel, roadwork happened.

Fair enough, thanks for the correction.

Might make for an interesting stage next year if they decide to make it deliberate though.

Would need to include a few sectors to have any huge impact. Speaking of which anyone care to make a design of the 2nd Stage of This Years Sun Tour(I'm just putting this idea out for curiosity sake)....... except with gravel sectors?(Depends on if it would be fully appropriate for this thread or the race design thread?)

Chaves wins the stage comfortably

1. 4 Jhoan Esteban CHAVES RUBIO (MTS) 5h53:55
2. 83 Alexander EVANS* (MBL) +42
3. 15 Ruben GUERREIRO (TFS) +1:09
4. 7 Cameron MEYER (MTS) +1:09
5. 1 Damien HOWSON (MTS) +1:09
6. 22 Nathan EARLE (ICA) +1:09
7. 127 Freddy OVETT (ACA) +1:09
8. 25 Krists NEILANDS (ICA) +1:09
9. 143 James WHELAN* (AUS) +1:09

It's that time of year again, with Bay Crits back starting tomorrow. A deeper field than usual too, with Nathan Haas bringing Marco Haller and Alex Dowsett to race as Katusha and Caleb Ewan will be leading Lotto Soudal with Roger Kluge along with all of the usual suspects.

Word is Brenton Jones is flying ATM and wants to have a good start at Delko, while Jay McCarthy has been scalped a couple of times up here in Brisbane by the likes of Mal Rudolph and Jordan Kerby. Should be interesting.

The most surprising thing is Mitchelton Scott is not riding the Bay Crits.Ryan has been the long term sponsor of this race. Has something changed ? Anyway i suspect the criterium and RR at the Nationals will be the number one target for MS in this Australian summer, as they will find the TDU and Herald Sun Tour to be challenging

Re:

yaco said:
The most surprising thing is Mitchelton Scott is not riding the Bay Crits.Ryan has been the long term sponsor of this race. Has something changed ? Anyway i suspect the criterium and RR at the Nationals will be the number one target for MS in this Australian summer, as they will find the TDU and Herald Sun Tour to be challenging
Their riders are still racing though, just not as the trade team. Durbridge is being listed as one of the major names.

As for TDU, I'm sure Impey will be keen to defend his title. MS may not have a sprinter for it this year, but I doubt it's not a major target for them.

Re:

Just going to shamelessly quote myself here.

RedheadDane said:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/races/jayco-herald-sun-tour-2018/stage-2/results/

The Danes are on fire! :eek:

I'd actually been sorta joking with myself; "Haha... could be rather funny if (M) Pedersen takes the second stage. Never gonna happen though..."

LoL… and I thought a couple of stages in the Herald Sun Tour were impressive… :rolleyes:

Re: Re:

42x16ss said:
yaco said:
Their riders are still racing though, just not as the trade team. Durbridge is being listed as one of the major names.

As for TDU, I'm sure Impey will be keen to defend his title. MS may not have a sprinter for it this year, but I doubt it's not a major target for them.

Checked and Gerry is still a secondary sponsor of the Bay Crits so it's a puzzling decision - The Bay Crits actually has a good field with Ewan,Kluge, Hansen, McCarthy, DEKort, Durbridge, Jones, Haussler, C.Scotson, Howard, Dowsett, Haas and Haller.

It will be tough for MS to sneak a stage win at the TDU, while it's possible Impey could get a podium - Sun Tour will be challenging with Porte and Sky being present - Is Heppy riding the TDU or Sun Tour

Criterium result at the Road Nats in Ballarat

1. 93 Brenton JONES 1h01:13
2. 27 Tristan WARD +0
3. 75 Jay MCCARTHY +0
4. 64 Cameron IVORY +0
5. 50 Theodore YATES +0
6. 10 Robert STANNARD +0
7. 99 Ben HILL +0
8. 104 Shannon JOHNSON +0
9. 116 Mathew ROSS +0
10. 11 Chris HAMILTON +0
11. 33 Sam WELSFORD +0