Hour Record Official Discussion Thread

Page 28 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Ryo Hazuki said:
damian13ster said:
jaylew said:
Going to be hilarious if he doesn't get it.
He will just go to higher attitude next time (and anyone who wants to beat his record).
Air pressure makes a huge difference. Look at speed-skating for example. Its influence is massive.
yes. I can't believe how idiotic cyclists are. look at the track in aguascalientes. latin american guys there are breaking world records. like narvaez in 3 km pursuit. a 17 year old breaking the world record. the difference is HUGE. also look at thomas dekker. he nearly broke the record despite clocking on sea level just above 50 km/h in training. they calculated he gained more than 80 watts over the altitude.
I dunno about being idiotic. They pulled £200-250,000 in ticket sales in under 10-minutes. That won't happen in Aguascalientes no matter how much further he'd have ridden.

To do this in Mexico would require spending a lot of time in Mexico in preparation. It's no small logistical feat, and given the revenue foregone, a loss of several hundred thousand pounds.
 
Re:

Pippo_San said:
Dowsett has absolutely ZERO chances to break this record.
Dumoulin all the same.

Malori? Don't think so.
Martin? Maybe, but he really should switch focus. And he's got everything to lose.
Seriously, don;'t underestimate track conditions in Mexico etc.

If Dekker can go 52.25.. with all the respect for him, but Dumoulin,. Malori, Martin, Dowsett could, no, should, go much faster
 
Re:

Alex Simmons/RST said:
BTW at the temperature and air pressure values I have seen quoted this morning, I estimate his power to CdA ratio would be in the vicinity of 2500-2550W/m^2, and with an estimated power of ~450W, it means he was able to get very slippery on that rig. The sort of CdA number I've seen for one other rider of similar body mass (a masters age group pursuiter).
I did make some assumptions as listed in my blog item here:
http://alex-cycle.blogspot.com.au/2015/06/wiggos-hour.html

With drivetrain efficiency at 99% and Crr to 0.0020, the we get power to CdA ratio of around 2200-2220 W/m^2.

IOW say 450W that gives a CdA ofaround 0.203 to 0.205m^2.
 
Re:

Pippo_San said:
Dowsett has absolutely ZERO chances to break this record.
Dumoulin all the same.

Malori? Don't think so.
Martin? Maybe, but he really should switch focus. And he's got everything to lose.
I think Dowsett and Dennis will have another shot in the future. Martin is the only one that might challenge it if he is interested, at the moment. I think this one might stand for a while yet.
 
so many ?

SeriousSam said:
Congratulations Rominger! Retained the record like a champ
asking again.............would rominger's position / bike be legal today and was advantage gained?

if legal the obvious question is.............why does tony not trump brad?

cheers! Mark L

ps the rider i think that would beat brad's mark with good preparation is tony m.......cance would have been able to at his best........i feel that time has passed...........
 
Aug 4, 2011
3,647
0
0
Its all over the news .its on the front of newspapers, yet when Dowsett broke the record it was hardly mentioned.
media bullsh55 for the chosen really irks me.
 
Re:

Netserk said:
His wheels were not of equal size and he wore shoe covers. Other than that I think his set-up was legit. Of course he would likely ride at least as fast, or faster, on a modern set-up.
Rominger's frame would not pass current regulations either, some of the tubing is too narrow.
 

Singer01

BANNED
Nov 18, 2013
2,043
2
5,485
ray j willings said:
Its all over the news .its on the front of newspapers, yet when Dowsett broke the record it was hardly mentioned.
media bullsh55 for the chosen really irks me.
while it irks me as well, its hardly surprising that this is the case, if dowsett rode for Sky he would have been heavily covered.
 
Mar 13, 2015
179
0
0
Alex Simmons/RST said:
Shame said:


Who can blame him for a bit of fading at the end? Crushed it.
His pacing was near perfect. A very slight fade over the course of an hour. I call that bang on the money.

I had him at 450 watts too.
So, no one is comparing Boardman to Wiggins yet?

There's no need for any rider nonsense here, except Martin.
Face it, he would have to go to altitude anyway.
 
Re: Re:

Alex Simmons/RST said:
Netserk said:
His wheels were not of equal size and he wore shoe covers. Other than that I think his set-up was legit. Of course he would likely ride at least as fast, or faster, on a modern set-up.
Rominger's frame would not pass current regulations either, some of the tubing is too narrow.
tubing too narrow? Can you specify? You mean the 5 square centimeters of material between top tube and down tube?
He rode a bike that was the norm in pursuits at that time, and his position was the same (i.e. no superman or other awkard positions). Shoe covers were allowed at that time. Music wasn't allowed like they allow it now.

So still the very best of the TT position riders: Tony Rominger.
http://www.nytimes.com/1994/11/07/sports/07iht-bike.html
 
Mar 31, 2010
18,137
1
0
Re: Re:

Alex Simmons/RST said:
Ryo Hazuki said:
damian13ster said:
jaylew said:
Going to be hilarious if he doesn't get it.
He will just go to higher attitude next time (and anyone who wants to beat his record).
Air pressure makes a huge difference. Look at speed-skating for example. Its influence is massive.
yes. I can't believe how idiotic cyclists are. look at the track in aguascalientes. latin american guys there are breaking world records. like narvaez in 3 km pursuit. a 17 year old breaking the world record. the difference is HUGE. also look at thomas dekker. he nearly broke the record despite clocking on sea level just above 50 km/h in training. they calculated he gained more than 80 watts over the altitude.
I dunno about being idiotic. They pulled £200-250,000 in ticket sales in under 10-minutes. That won't happen in Aguascalientes no matter how much further he'd have ridden.

To do this in Mexico would require spending a lot of time in Mexico in preparation. It's no small logistical feat, and given the revenue foregone, a loss of several hundred thousand pounds.
I'm sure wiggins is bailing on that 200k :rolleyes:
 
Mar 31, 2010
18,137
1
0
Re: Re:

Volderke said:
Alex Simmons/RST said:
Netserk said:
His wheels were not of equal size and he wore shoe covers. Other than that I think his set-up was legit. Of course he would likely ride at least as fast, or faster, on a modern set-up.
Rominger's frame would not pass current regulations either, some of the tubing is too narrow.
tubing too narrow? Can you specify? You mean the 5 square centimeters of material between top tube and down tube?
He rode a bike that was the norm in pursuits at that time, and his position was the same (i.e. no superman or other awkard positions). Shoe covers were allowed at that time. Music wasn't allowed like they allow it now.

So still the very best of the TT position riders: Tony Rominger.
http://www.nytimes.com/1994/11/07/sports/07iht-bike.html
hilarious how somehow you think rominger is or was a great rider.
 
Aug 31, 2012
7,550
1
0
Wiggins wasn't ignorant about how altitude etc affect expected distance for a given sustained power. The fact that he chose London anyway implies that going as far as possible didn't dominate other criteria important to him, wrt which the London velodrome scores better. I imagine basking in the rabid adulation of the London fans is one of them.
 
Singer01 said:
ray j willings said:
Its all over the news .its on the front of newspapers, yet when Dowsett broke the record it was hardly mentioned.
media bullsh55 for the chosen really irks me.
while it irks me as well, its hardly surprising that this is the case, if dowsett rode for Sky he would have been heavily covered.
Nah nothing to do with riding for sky (unless you think Ben Swift, Luke Rowe, Pk or Ian Stannard would get the same media attention for an attempt) thing, more to do with status after Olympic medals and TDF victory, not that I think it is right.
 
ginger minge

ray j willings said:
Its all over the news .its on the front of newspapers, yet when Dowsett broke the record it was hardly mentioned.
media bullsh55 for the chosen really irks me.
.............and the woman i love hardly mention the beautiful illustrated letter i wrote.........it was all

brad this ...............brad that

Mark L

i should be proud to be ginger..............?
 
Jul 27, 2014
376
0
0
Re: Re:

Ryo Hazuki said:
Volderke said:
Alex Simmons/RST said:
Netserk said:
His wheels were not of equal size and he wore shoe covers. Other than that I think his set-up was legit. Of course he would likely ride at least as fast, or faster, on a modern set-up.
Rominger's frame would not pass current regulations either, some of the tubing is too narrow.
tubing too narrow? Can you specify? You mean the 5 square centimeters of material between top tube and down tube?
He rode a bike that was the norm in pursuits at that time, and his position was the same (i.e. no superman or other awkard positions). Shoe covers were allowed at that time. Music wasn't allowed like they allow it now.

So still the very best of the TT position riders: Tony Rominger.
http://www.nytimes.com/1994/11/07/sports/07iht-bike.html
hilarious how somehow you think rominger is or was a great rider.
He's won more gts than Wiggins, and went further in an hour
 
Singer01 said:
ray j willings said:
Its all over the news .its on the front of newspapers, yet when Dowsett broke the record it was hardly mentioned.
media bullsh55 for the chosen really irks me.
while it irks me as well, its hardly surprising that this is the case, if dowsett rode for Sky he would have been heavily covered.
Disagree, love it or hate it Wiggins is absolute box office to the majority of the British sporting public, especially the part time cycling fans. As has been said I believe one of the reasons he held it in London was to get as many fans in as possible who would be cheering him on.
 
Re: Re:

Ryo Hazuki said:
hilarious how somehow you think rominger is or was a great rider.
Rominger was not great because Ketchup Tony couldn't even follow a clean rider like Indurain, so he must be bad! :D
Ryo Hazuki said:
what a load of **** did you think indurain was epoing in 1990? he was the best climber there as well and in 1 week race sin 80s too. he was just brought carefully into the gt's. indurain was a superhuman talent the likes of only pantani and ullrich
:D :D :D

But this is not about Rominger or Wiggins. It's about the hype around the current series of record attempts, trying to break a record that is most definitely not broken yet:
It was only stolen from the ones that held it in the '90s (Rominger and Boardman) by some unknown UCI bobo's in a dark cave in Switzerland.
I even consider Sosenka to be a more important record holder than Wiggins, Voigt, Brandle, Dowsett or whoever claims to hold the current record... Current records are artificial: They don't dare to repeat the Merckx-style record, and for the pursuit style bike record, they claim they broke it, but they still refer to Indurain and Rominger...

The UCI can change their bespoke rules as long as they have the right guy on the number one spot.
 
Mar 13, 2015
179
0
0
Everyone knows Rominger was a fraud. Ferrari described him as the perfect lab rat for his "treatments".
Gotta let that go, guys. It's so comical, it is hard to tell if you are serious or just trolling.
Boardman's bike was so aero, it still can not be duplicated.
I believe Boarman had more watts per kilogram as well.
I really can't calculate what Boarman would have done on a modern bike(no single fork) and without the superman position.
I'm thinking, probably at 55.0 or a hair higher.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY