• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Hour Record Official Discussion Thread

Page 35 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Ganna didn't even want to start on the day of the race because he wasn't feeling well. Back pain and he has had a nasty cold for a few days. Marco Villa and the other riders had to convinve him to still race.
Thanks, good to know. I still don't know what was disrespectful about my assumption that a top form Ganna would go much faster with his improvement as a rider and the improvement in his bike setup.

Meanwhile I didn't know until now that Milan and some other current road riders used to race the kilo. I always assumed it was too short for endurance to matter much. But maybe I also underestimate the aerobic fitness of track sprinters.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Thanks, good to know. I still don't know what was disrespectful about my assumption that a top form Ganna would go much faster with his improvement as a rider and the improvement in his bike setup.

Meanwhile I didn't know until now that Milan and some other current road riders used to race the kilo. I always assumed it was too short for endurance to matter much. But maybe I also underestimate the aerobic fitness of track sprinters.

There's a big difference between doing a 200m and a kilo...

I do like your comparison with track sprinters to weightlifters for comedic value and also use it myself but I don't think it's completely true.

Lamon was also a decentish u23 rider, pretty rare for a km rider. The freaky thing about him is that he isn't a big guy, he's similar sized as Ala.

Reactions: Lui98 and Red Rick
Here's a fresh take: Brian Walton, an extremely talented rider from BC (that's Canada) had great junior credentials and a pro career that was probably limited by his clean habits and serious allergies. He was a good stage racer and showed mature humor racing with amateurs while on US based GT teams that didn't necessarily share his puritan habits regarding supplements. He was definitely a hero of mine even though he was a bit younger.
He got the silver at 96 track Worlds in the points race which is not an easy thing for a climber physique. His Mom was a Master's worlds champ as well.
His son just broke the Junior hour record and, according to CN's article didn't start riding until 2020 when he suffered from running based injuries. He rode on a velodrome 3 times before his effort in Mexico of over 50 k per hours. There is something to be said for genes and good parents. Congratulation to all of them!

Here's a fresh take: Brian Walton, an extremely talented rider from BC (that's Canada) had great junior credentials and a pro career that was probably limited by his clean habits and serious allergies. He was a good stage racer and showed mature humor racing with amateurs while on US based GT teams that didn't necessarily share his puritan habits regarding supplements. He was definitely a hero of mine even though he was a bit younger.
He got the silver at 96 track Worlds in the points race which is not an easy thing for a climber physique. His Mom was a Master's worlds champ as well.
His son just broke the Junior hour record and, according to CN's article didn't start riding until 2020 when he suffered from running based injuries. He rode on a velodrome 3 times before his effort in Mexico of over 50 k per hours. There is something to be said for genes and good parents. Congratulation to all of them!
I remember meeting him at the Milk race, won it in 88 or 89 I think.
Quick chat at the start in Gloucester.