• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Hour Record Official Discussion Thread

Page 34 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Also triple crown world record for Ganna now, Hour, IP and TP world record holder at the same time.
That said, I always get the impression that Ganna cares about winning and not records, according to him "records are there to be broken by someone later".
I get the impression that the Hour record was more important to the team and Pinarello and they really wanted to do it before the rule changes kick in next year and they have to change up a lot.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
How often does Ganna do the IP? There's no reference for Top Ganna in an IP basically.
Not sure that matters. Ganna broke the world hour record comfortably. Soon after he has now broken the IP record comfortably.

Sure technology plays a part but I'd say its safe to assume he's in good shape? Anyhow, I hope he can push the hour record further at altitude beyond 57km really would be something.

How often does Ganna do the IP? There's no reference for Top Ganna in an IP basically.
FWIW, I agree. Based on the splits he was doing in the TP at Tokyo, although it's nowhere near perfect, comparing what he has done in other TP comps where he's done fast IP times after, I'd estimated back then he'd be in the 3:57 range in that shape with the aero setup he had there (different bike, bars, skinsuit and helmet today). Maybe 3:56 with the current setup. That was probably a fair bit faster of a track though.

Even if he doesn't peak for it, if he attends I'd guess Ganna will break this record at February's european champs, can be much fresher there and it's at a bit of altitude (~450m)

How long until our local guy Bianchi becomes the first man on the Italian IP team instead of Lamon? He set jet another Italian 1KM record.
Ganna vs Milan in the IP final is a nice one.

IMO Ganna should go for the record again, but at altitute, so that nobody can get it by getting an advantage there. At the same altitude I only see guys with a legit track background who are top TTers like Bissegger and Küng having a legit shot at beating his record. All the other top TTers would have to work some time to get the track experience needed and I doubt that their teams would be too happy about that.
I don't think they'll bring in Bianchi to do TP for a while as it would essentially be saying to the sprint project guys that they are preemptively giving up. If Italy doesn't qualify for the Olympics in the team sprint I could see them adding him though. Really a much more important change would be the national team getting someone other than Villa to produce the turn strategies.

Them running 4 guys into the finish like it's 2016 and then losing by 0.2s is an embarrassment (especially after Milan and Ganna now become the two fastest IP'ers ever at sea level the day after). He's consistently had Lamon take his final turn far too long and dropping a tonne of time in doing so, but that was next-level incompetence.

It's something that makes more sense in other sports. Beating records is for rowing and swimming and whatever.
Beating records is also for events like IP and especially the hour. Cycling isn’t just bunch road racing and neither are Grand Tours with time trial stages.

Sure the hour hasn’t been recently popular as it was in the 90s but I do find it an intriguing event. I think it’s easy to respect anyone who attempts one hour straight of purgatory even if it is boring to watch.

Wow, just read the news. Didn't someone write after Ganna broke the hour record that he wasn't in top form? I think that can be put to rest. But I am still intrigued to know how Dan Bingham did what he did for the old hour record.
I suspect that Dan Bigham had every possible legal aero benefit he could get his hands on, as well as making the hour his 1st, 2nd and 3rd priority for the year, even over the Commonwealth Games/Worlds