• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Hour Record Rules Revisted/Revised

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 11, 2009
Visit site
Shame said:
Converted to track bike. A one-off is not the same. even though the main difference is just to make the rear narrow enough for a track hub. .........................

Trek modified a road bike for Jens Voigt but I believe they did not modify the rear spacing much, if at all, because he used a specially machined off-set rear cog.

Sep 30, 2009
Visit site
avanti said:
Shame said:
Converted to track bike. A one-off is not the same. even though the main difference is just to make the rear narrow enough for a track hub. .........................

Trek modified a road bike for Jens Voigt but I believe they did not modify the rear spacing much, if at all, because he used a specially machined off-set rear cog.

Bobridge's Cervelo was a stock model (T4) you can buy. Rohan's bike is a a BMC TrackMachine TR01 that you can also buy. His bike had a modified cog so that he could use the road crankset that he's used to, which also housed an SRM unit, along with a custom cockpit. Both track bikes, not converted.

Sep 30, 2009
Visit site
Yes. The only structural modification to the frameset is that they modified the front fork/handlebar cockpit. The 3T handlebars were carbon wrapped to the stem/fork that comes standard on the bike. This is what was done to "improve aerodynamics and stiffness". You can see it here - http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/article/rohan-dennis-hour-record-bmc-trackmachine-tr01-updated-43546/. The other non-stock/custom piece was the custom machined rear cog. This was done to keep a perfect chainline with the Shimano Dura-Ace Road SRM crank. Still a stock track frame.

Some relevant UCI rules for hour record, complete with holes large enough to drive a truck through:

Records must be set on a UCI-approved track.
Only bicycles admitted by the Track Race Regulations may be used.
A starting block shall be used in all specialities with a standing start, including the hour record.

The bicycle shall be submitted to the Equipment Commission for approval 15 days before the date of the attempt.

EQUIPMENT
<snip>
A licence holder is not authorised to modify, in any way, the equipment given by the manufacturer used in competition.

Principles
Definition
The bicycle is a vehicle with two wheels of equal diameter. The front wheel shall be steerable; the rear wheel shall be driven through a system comprising pedals and a chain.
Type
Bicycles and their accessories shall be of a type that is sold for use by anyone practising cycling as a sport.
As a result of production imperatives (time constraints), an exception may be requested from the UCI for equipment that is a final product and that will be marketed in the nine months after its first use in competition. The manufacturer must however publish information on the equipment in question in advance and announce the date of its market launch.
The use of equipment designed especially for the attainment of a particular performance (record or other) shall be not authorised.

Sep 30, 2009
Visit site
And this is what gets me so mad about these pros riding one offs. I mentioned it before in the thread and think that they should enforce rules if they're going to bother making them.

Sep 30, 2009
Visit site
The only workaround I can see is with Rohan's fork/stem/bar combo. If they were all stock components that were "glassed" together, then it's just like taking a carbon stem and carbon bars to someone like Calfee or VeloZephyr and having them glassed together. My guess is that those options are legal, so glassing together his cockpit should be as well if that's the case. The custom cog could have been sourced out and purchased if a suitable option exists, as there are cogs that make for differing chainlines.

Sep 30, 2009
Visit site
The only workaround I can see is with Rohan's fork/stem/bar combo. If they were all stock components that were "glassed" together, then it's just like taking a carbon stem and carbon bars to someone like Calfee or VeloZephyr and having them glassed together. My guess is that those options are legal, so glassing together his cockpit should be as well if that's the case. The custom cog could have been sourced out and purchased if a suitable option exists, as there are cogs that make for differing chainlines.

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
The one off doesn't bother me. I just think it would be good if any rider in any country can purchase the same quality of frame. If I were Bobridge, I think I would have asked Cervelo if they could produce a one off T5 frame. Cervelo brags the drag is 2056 on its P5. (Also, the numbers may have been measured with the non-legal fork.)They claim a savings of "6-11 watts" or "24 to 44 seconds over 40 km" over super- bikes.

I just found their 'launch' information pdf:
P5 2056 grams 33 seconds faster over 50km or 458 meters further.

P4 2122 grams

May 11, 2009
Visit site
Re:

Alex Simmons/RST said:
EQUIPMENT
<snip>
A licence holder is not authorised to modify, in any way, the equipment given by the manufacturer used in competition.

Appears that someone other than a licence holder can modify equipment??????????

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
Just watching Alex a bit. He did a long slow ride on saturday, presumably recovery or after a track workout. Roughly 50 miles at 200 watts and fairly flat. Sunday he did 10 half-mile hill sprints. Avg watts: 470, 420, 450, 445, 340, 450, 430, 440, 425, 345.
Looking forward to next week.

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
I don't know who's carrying it.
I'll check for streams in the morning.
I'm not even sure what time it will run.
I can always watch the replay, it isn't like trying not to hear who won the Super Bowl.
Personally, I don't think he'll do it. I just hope he gets his pace right.
Better slow than dead for 59 minutes. (Right Bobridge?)

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
Alex at minute15 52.27
at minute 20 52.39
painting the lines well too.
He is 4 seconds behind, but Rohan went a little too fast at 52.8 then sliding down to 52.5
He's on schedule to reach Rohan at the 30 mark.

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
He's ahead (112 meters) at the 40 mark.
Seems the announcers keep looking at Rohan's pace rather than his distance.
He's not behind at all. 52.687 at 45 minute mark.

TRENDING THREADS