• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Hour Record Rules Revisted/Revised

Page 12 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
I don't think anyone considers rominger's efforts as anything, except Dr. Ferrari.

Anyway, here's Brad last week.

1wigb.bmp

Shame said:
And, without entering into the discussion/argument
of the last few posts, I think it might be that Sir Brad's
first 15 km interval (documented above) was as much
about his 10 mile tt next week as it was about his Hour
attempt in June. But I could be wrong, my friends. :)

Of course he is. Thanks for joining my discussion. I guess some people only feel good about themselves when they trolll, argue, and proclaim their 'abilities'. He doesn't get why Wiggins rode at 55 kph, and he's a coach? Wig has done a lot at 54 this week and appears he could ride 54 tomorrow if he wanted. Who really cares what his third interval was after such a display? first he says he must have used an illegal bike to ride at 55 (what?), then he says Wig should be embarrassed that he didn't do two of those efforts in a row at 55. I think this demonstrates how hard it is to find a coach who really knows how to train. I guess the mess is partly my fault for not being able to ignore something stupid. I always have to correct it.

I have a name, it's disrespectful to ignore it.

I have not trolled. I addressed the specifics of information provided in this thread, discussed its merits and added context.

You provided a comment that was ambiguous about which bike he rode and I sought to clarify that, which you did while at the same time questioning my English comprehension skills. I made no claim about the bike he used, I posed a question in order to clarify your ambiguous statement.

It's unfortunate you seem perhaps a little affronted by this and have resorted to personal attack and strawman statements rather than focus on the content of what I've said. Not sure why. Ad hominem is a lame logical fallacy in any case.

I have done nothing but discuss the information provided and supply some context. My comments and contribution are made from the point of view of someone who has actually coached multiple successful hour records, who is a successful professional coach, and a pioneer in track aerodynamics field testing, has analysed the impact of different track geometry on rider's lines and performance, provided public information about the issues of hour records and altitude, and has a deep understanding of pacing strategies for both track and road time trialling (and triathon), including development of sophisticated modelling tested on riders at all levels of performance (pro-tour to club riders). I wrote about it last decade. Discussion paper is probably online somewhere. People can PM me if interested.

I have not made a personal remark about you at any time, nor have I sought to question your experience, knowledge, understanding or professionalism. So who is doing the trolling?

Sep 30, 2009
Visit site
Shame said:
And, without entering into the discussion/argument
of the last few posts, I think it might be that Sir Brad's
first 15 km interval (documented above) was as much
about his 10 mile tt next week as it was about his Hour
attempt in June. But I could be wrong, my friends. :)

Of course he is. Thanks for joining my discussion.

This made me laugh. Since when has this thread been "YOUR" discussion?

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
Today, Wiggins finished his 10 miler at 17:58. (Alex posted that now he can relax, for a little while.)
Wiggins was quoted as saying he may try the course again Thursday, as apparently it was quite windy, even delaying the race almost an hour.
Still in great form for next month. Dowsett looked pretty fast in his time trial (not the same race) doing 26 k in 31 minutes.

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
Anyone think that Wiggins is setting the bar too high?
55.25. Obviously, he only wants to do this once in his lifetime.
My advice, have an ice bath track side.

May 11, 2009
Visit site
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/air-pressure-and-track-skills-will-be-vital-for-wiggins-hour-record

Brad: “I’m not a weather man, but if you have really low pressure, under 1,000 [grams per cubic metre], you will travel a lot further on the day – anything up to one kilometre for the same power. The weather forecast for the first week in June is abnormally low pressure for London for that time of year, which is fantastic.”

Me: "grams/cubic metre" is density not pressure. Pressure is measured on Pascals (N/m^3). Brad, I hope you and your team use the correct units when setting your ride schedule.

Re:

avanti said:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/air-pressure-and-track-skills-will-be-vital-for-wiggins-hour-record

Brad: “I’m not a weather man, but if you have really low pressure, under 1,000 [grams per cubic metre], you will travel a lot further on the day – anything up to one kilometre for the same power. The weather forecast for the first week in June is abnormally low pressure for London for that time of year, which is fantastic.”

Me: "grams/cubic metre" is density not pressure. Pressure is measured on Pascals (N/m^3). Brad, I hope you and your team use the correct units when setting your ride schedule.
Well he may not be a physicist and has his terms mixed up, but he's partly right in that barometric pressure has a direct influence on air density, which is the parameter that matters.

He is quoting air density values, although we typically report those as kg/m^3.

For the same air temperature and at the same power output, the difference in distance attainable between a low pressure 990hPa day and a high pressure 1030hPa day is approx 700 metres.

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
One weather site (metcheck.com) is predicting 1032mb air pressure, which doesn't look good for 55km.

Anyway, a rather basic question. How do they calculate the final distance? The only attempt I have watched was Sarah Storey's, and I expected a gun after an hour. Instead she did a final lap, which would mean they calculate the distance based on an average speed over that last lap. Is that right?

Re:

Morbius said:
One weather site (metcheck.com) is predicting 1032mb air pressure, which doesn't look good for 55km.

Anyway, a rather basic question. How do they calculate the final distance? The only attempt I have watched was Sarah Storey's, and I expected a gun after an hour. Instead she did a final lap, which would mean they calculate the distance based on an average speed over that last lap. Is that right?

The distance = (number of complete laps x lap distance) +
(lap distance x time remaining at start of incomplete lap / time taken for final completed lap)

e.g. say rider on a 250m track crossed line at 59:50 elapsed and could not complete another full lap before 60-min had expired, and their final fully complete lap was completed in 16.000 seconds and that was their 200th complete lap.

Their distance would be 0.250km/lap x (200 laps + 10sec/16sec) = 50.156km

Distances are calculated to the nearest metre.

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Re: Re:

Alex Simmons/RST said:
The distance = (number of complete laps x lap distance) +
(lap distance x time remaining at start of incomplete lap / time taken for final completed lap)

e.g. say rider on a 250m track crossed line at 59:50 elapsed and could not complete another full lap before 60-min had expired, and their final fully complete lap was completed in 16.000 seconds and that was their 200th complete lap.

Their distance would be 0.250km/lap x (200 laps + 10sec/16sec) = 50.156km

Distances are calculated to the nearest metre.

Thanks Alex - as I thought, the precise distance is based on commpleted laps plus a calculation based on average speed over the last lap.

One follow up question: Do they fire a gun to indicate the last lap, and what happens if the rider is approaching the line with say 15 seconds to go, when there would be doubt over whether the lap would be the last one or whether the rider might cross the line once more before the hour is up.

May 11, 2009
Visit site
Here are the UCI rules applicable to the final laps (http://www.uci.ch/mm/Document/News/NewsGeneral/16/55/10/Timekeeperguide-ENG_English.PDF)

The distance travelled is rounded down to the nearest metre. The record cannot be beaten by less than one metre.
As a function of the average time per lap of the track by the candidate attempting the record, the timekeeper must be
ready to trigger the bell announcing the last lap when the time still to run is less than the average time achieved for a
lap of the track.
The end of the attempt is announced by two pistol shots when the rider crosses the finish line after the time envisaged
has expired.
If, between the expiry of the time indicating the end of the attempt and the end of the last lap, an unforeseen incident,
puncture, fall, etc. does not enable the complete lap to be finished, it is the time for the previous lap that would be used
to calculate the additional distance travelled.
For any record attempt, the blue-band part must be rendered unusable by means of the fitting of beading 0.50 m long
and 0.08 m thick placed at the bends, every 5 metres.
A record broken on the same day (by the same rider) is not ratified.
A record cannot be broken by a distance of under one metre.

Re: Re:

Morbius said:
One follow up question: Do they fire a gun to indicate the last lap, and what happens if the rider is approaching the line with say 15 seconds to go, when there would be doubt over whether the lap would be the last one or whether the rider might cross the line once more before the hour is up.
The commissaire should only fire the gun once 60-minutes has elapsed. The bell should be rung only when it's clear a rider cannot complete another full lap although it really doesn't matter since based on the UCI's rules, the speed of the final incomplete lap doesn't matter. It's the speed of final completed lap that matters.

IOW the reality is that hour records take less than an hour to complete. It's a fun bet to guess the time a rider crosses the line on his final complete lap.

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
Here's results from the World Championships 4K Pursuit:

1 Bobridge avg. 56.201
2 Kueng avg 55.991
3 Serov avg 55.537
4 Morice avg 55.452
5 Tennat avg 55.228
6 Thiele avg 55.019

55 K is 4:21.818 every 4k.

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
Re:

Shame said:
Here's results from the World Championships 4K Pursuit:

1 Bobridge avg. 56.201
2 Kueng avg 55.991
3 Serov avg 55.537

WIGGINS avg 55.526 (60 minutes instead of 4)

4 Morice avg 55.452
5 Tennat avg 55.228
6 Thiele avg 55.019

55 K is 4:21.818 every 4k.

When you go all out, you can't lift the pace at the end.
I was hoping for a blast on the last lap.

TRENDING THREADS