• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

How did Contador win the 2011 Giro ?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Which way did Contador win the 2011 Giro ?

• He's never doped. He's just very talented.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Jul 3, 2009
Visit site
hrotha said:
I'm not sure clen is part of his standard program, just something he and others would take if all is not well with his weight. I imagine whatever he did last year, he did this year too, but he's seemingly back at 2009 levels (last year he wasn't so strong), and that might be because of Riis, but on the other hand I always thought he had his own people so not much would have changed this year.
+1. But In my opinion, he wasn't stronger or weaker than at last year's tour... A. Schleck just wasn't there. Scarponi never really was a GT-top-rider until the last year (no idea how he made this step) and Nibali could have been stronger, I guess.

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
ManInFull said:
So does that mean that Lance was not doping in 2003? He certainly suffered during that first ITT.

I always wondered about his 2003 Tour, Here is my theory based on real facts.
His marriage was falling apart, because I believe Kik found out the true story behind the myth. I believe he had to cut his doping down in a feeble attemtp to save his marriage. After the struggle during the tour, he tells her on their vacation, NFW, he rides the tour again with the 2003 protocol. End of marriage, and hello Cheryl (and Dr Ferrari).

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
red_flanders said:
Is there a "he's doped just like all the other top GT men and crushed them anyway" option?
hrotha said:
I thought there was no level playing field?

I'd love to believe in a level playing field. but I don't.
A level playing field would not be able to explain Spanish dominance in so many sports disciplines. I think over there in Spain they are willing to take the extra risk and go for the special sauce. Doping in Spain, IMO, is at a different level still.

sniper said:
I'd love to believe in a level playing field. but I don't.
A level playing field would not be able to explain Spanish dominance in so many sports disciplines. I think over there in Spain they are willing to take the extra risk and go for the special sauce. Doping in Spain, IMO, is at a different level still.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_Summer_Olympics_medal_table

Particularly relevant here: the 2010 European Athletics Championships in Barcelona
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_European_Athletics_Championships#Medal_table

I guess Spanish genes are just very inferior.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
hrotha said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_Summer_Olympics_medal_table

Particularly relevant here: the 2010 European Athletics Championships in Barcelona
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_European_Athletics_Championships#Medal_table

I guess Spanish genes are just very inferior.

ok, good points.
but that doesn't keep me from firmly believing that AC's dominance is not a mere matter of superior talent in a level playing field.

this guy's got the words "juiced to the gills" written all over his face.
I think he's been on HGH for some years now, accompanied by a state-of-the-art bloodprogram.

Apr 29, 2009
Visit site
are you blind?

sniper said:
I think it's HGH, testosterone and bloodtransfusions.
masking agents for breakfast.

What a major fraud this guy is.
I liked LA much better. He frauded with class. AC only gets on my nerves.
If Christmas were in July, i'd ask Santaclaus to give AC a four year ban and strip him of all his 2010/11 titels.

FFS I would say the playing field is pretty even out there, I mean comon, Scarponi as a worthy winner?, Liquigas? In case you havent been following things for the past 15 years but there is a trend going. Enjoy it for what it is is all that can be done.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
595RED said:
FFS I would say the playing field is pretty even out there, I mean comon, Scarponi as a worthy winner?, Liquigas? In case you havent been following things for the past 15 years but there is a trend going. Enjoy it for what it is is all that can be done.

ok. but don't come back saying i was right all along after AC wins this years TdF with surprising superiority.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
I don't know the answer to the op's question, but I do think that:
a) It would have been an incredibly exciting race without Contador
b) If I was doping and I didn't think everyone else was, I wouldn't have attacked at completely ott and unnecessary moments like several occasions during this Giro.

May 26, 2009
Visit site
Berzin said:
Ah, just in time for the Alberto Contador Appreciation thread.

Your premise is off by much. The most ridiculous performances in cycling history took place during "The Cyclism 1999-2005". Please go back and check those races and tell me what the definition of "ridiculous" is again.

No surprise to me he's dominating the way he does. Contador has been an excellent time trialer and climber since he's been riding. If you want to think he's doping just to be a hater, that's your right. But to call his performances ridiculous is out of line given his talents.

Besides, since when have Nibali and Scarponi been grand tour juggernaughts the likes of whom were able to challenge Contador?

This is another false premise based on the overestimation of the riders he competed against. Look at that top-20 list again and tell me who had the talent to compete against him. Not one.

If everyone dopes from the age 15 how do you know who's talented and who's just a good responder?
Or is being a good responder the same as being talented nowadays?

roundabout said:
How does one measure talent?

Especially in a ****ed up sport like this one...

I'd say Andy could be a talent since he was great as a young rider (second place in the 2007 Giro) but that could also be because he got "juice'ed" early as ****. I mean let's face it, Basso (CSC) + Riis = Mega doping (2005). Andy joined in 2005...

That's exactly the problem.

People mature at different rates as juniors where they are more likely to be clean and some (many?) start doping at U23 to distort any possible comparisons.

Someone like Contador is very likely to be talented but to make it the main reason for his dominance requires a leap of faith that I'm unwilling to take (especially given his, erm, record and associations during pretty much the last 9 or so years).

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
I really do believe Contador when he said that this year's Giro would be won in the hotel room, but perhaps not in the way that he was trying to explain it. One thing I've learned about life in general and cycling in particular is that if something looks too good to be true it usually is.

Oct 30, 2010
Visit site
Who's he trying to kid? I mean honestly. Does he think we've all just fallen out of a tree? Contador is the latest in a 20 year line of doped cyclists who spin the 'for the good of the sport' line if ever conforted with doping accusations. He's tested positive for clen, he's leaving doped cyclists for dead and he's been imperious all 3 weeks.

Ask yourself this... if he did this clean would he not be talking about how he wants all his blood samples tested to prove he's clen, whoops typo, I mean clean - wouldn't he want independent witnesses in the hotel with him, wouldn't he want to shout and crow about the fact that he was served an injustice last year and he's proved clean winning is possible?

No. He just smiles and points that skinny finger while on the podium. He's standing there, pointing at us mugs for watching this shambles. We know you're doped, pal. Just b*gger off. This sport is a joke, it's just a massive game of "pretend". Kids play pretend, not grown-ups.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Markyboyzx6r said:
Who's he trying to kid? I mean honestly. Does he think we've all just fallen out of a tree? Contador is the latest in a 20 year line of doped cyclists who spin the 'for the good of the sport' line if ever conforted with doping accusations. He's tested positive for clen, he's leaving doped cyclists for dead and he's been imperious all 3 weeks.

Ask yourself this... if he did this clean would he not be talking about how he wants all his blood samples tested to prove he's clen, whoops typo, I mean clean - wouldn't he want independent witnesses in the hotel with him, wouldn't he want to shout and crow about the fact that he was served an injustice last year and he's proved clean winning is possible?

No. He just smiles and points that skinny finger while on the podium. He's standing there, pointing at us mugs for watching this shambles. We know you're doped, pal. Just b*gger off. This sport is a joke, it's just a massive game of "pretend". Kids play pretend, not grown-ups.

That part in bold is brilliant.

It seems though that (barring one or two posters) the people posting in this thread agree with one another that AC is doped to the gills. The question remains: is he on a better program than others or is he winning in a level playing field?

Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
sniper said:
That part in bold is brilliant.

No it's not! If he does that he will literally dig his own grave. He can't easily just trust people to say or 'witness' the truth. Why would he even feel the need to show transparency when he's not doing anything wrong. Doped riders might give it a try, place corrupted witnesses and pretend doing nothing wrong.

And yes I don't believe he uses ped's, if you think about it you will see that it's extremely unlikely and almost impossible in his case. If he still managed to do that I'd congratulate him cuz that's simply genius.

Btw, shouting and crowing in the cycling world is an extremely dangerous thing to do, it won't do you any good. He better keep his mouth shut and hope/pray they won't damage him any more than they already did.

TRENDING THREADS