• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

How Dirty Do You Think The Peloton Is ?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

How Dirty Do You Think The Peloton Is?

• 90 - 100%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
May 6, 2011
Visit site
Lanark said:
I'd say about 20% in the entire peloton, and a lot higher among the top ranks.

Are more talented riders more likely to dope, or do they appear more talented because they dope?

Also, we see a lot of low level doping in the positive tests - are they doping to keep up, or just cant afford a lower probability of detection?

Interesting puzzles.

Oct 16, 2009
Visit site
Voted 50-60%, but thinking about it, if the peloton was split evenly into dopers and non-dopers, you'd expect there'd be friction between the two. I don't think clean riders are in the majority, as there's really nothing that points to there being a significant anti-doping culture in the peloton, so I guess a less optimistic estimate is 70-80%.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Every poll is a good poll, there are no pointless polls just pointless pollsters.

mattghg said:
I disagree with people saying that this poll is pointless. It's good to know the general mindset of the Clinic, if nothing else.

FWIW I voted 40-50%, but this is a real stab in the dark of course.

I definitely like the broad spectrum, will need to do a plot soon.

Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au
Richie Porte is clean. He said so. So everyone racing in that race is clean. Clearly. Froome is clean, Michelle Cound said so. So everyone in that race is clean.

How many other riders are there? The Sky crew at Tenerife. Well there's no drugs available out there, so they must all be clean.

I think you'd be lucky to find 2 dopers in all of them.

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
Been following this since you posted it, Net.

One question, what is doped? Like, doped, doped? Or "only" using questionable/banned stuff? Or grey area stuff? Or stuff that's not even listed yet (which is a bullsh*t excuse because under WADA it's "any method to attempt...")?

For all of the above, which is what should be counted since it's all cheating, I'm going with the 70-80 percent.

That's tragic...

And it's a really conservative number...

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
New drugs available are oral, tests don't work, passport allows up to 50% Hct. Top riders are clearly on the juice again, so unless you have a huge moral/ethical backbone and are a masochist to try and keep up with the cheaters day after day, why would you not dope?

80-90%. Most of the ones that don't dope simply don't last beyond a season. Darwinism at it's most primitive keeps the numbers up.

I voted 80-90%

And I think its on the high end there - closer to 85-87%.

I think as riders enter the pro ranks they are clean (for the most part) but to get along they have to go along. Or hang it up.

If someone wants to excel and make cycling a lucrative career, they have to level the playing field and so they join the biggest club in pro cycling.

Unfortunately it's the same pattern over and over again. Riders are busted. The sport then claims that this new generation is cleaner and more moral but then the vicious cycle repeats itself.

Unfortunately doping is ingrained in the sport and will not go away.

There is nothing really fans can do besides stop watching.

Its harder to judge taking in all 500+ ProTour riders. And I believe there are cabals within teams that are on systematic programs. But its professional, they are riding for income, its their job. If they dont perform to the satisfaction of the manager they are out. Thats a big incentive to dope when they cannot keep up with the ones that are doping

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Plot of standings so far:

pelotondirtypercent2013.jpg

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Have voted 80-90 %, because everywhere there are still upright people. Even in dirty businesses like politics and economy.
Cycling is not more bad than all the other $h.it around us. But at least you need some kind of talent and dedication in pro sports. You can survive pretty good without it in any other areas in life.

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
FoxxyBrown1111 said:
Have voted 80-90 %, because everywhere there are still upright people. Even in dirty businesses like politics and economy.
Cycling is not more bad than all the other $h.it around us. But at least you need some kind of talent and dedication in pro sports. You can survive pretty good without it in any other areas in life.

The problem here is elite sport is about money and politics. You appear to be justifiying it?

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
In my opinion I think 95% will have doped at some time or another... probably when they were young and got roped into it by unscrupulous DS', team Docs or even a soigneur…

But now, with the expulsion and removal of L#nce Armstr#ng (supposedly) from the history of cycling that they now see an opportunity to get clean.

I don’t know the forums view on T&R, but I hope it happens, independently of Phat Pat, and there is an amnesty… then we would see where it goes.

Also, may bring to light the truth behind Zero Tolerance part 2 of UKPS sorry, team GB… sorry Sky

At the moment I voted 60– 70%.. I believe FDJ, OPQS, even Garmin are trying to eradicate the doping… I need to believe someone is trying.

But this brings me to…. I think there is a view amongst the angry, that there should be no forgiveness, yes some of the people trying have a history, yet the only folks that seem to be forgiven are JV and Miller (who was getting a bit big for his boots recently)

Marc Madiot at FDJ, for example and yes, even RIIS – they have a history, but they also have the experience and we need to move forward as fans or we will all be so bitter and twisted by the end.

W#nderboy has gone, lets move on and assist the teams to move on rather than block every move with – oh I remember in 1962 his distant cousin smoked a doobie!!

Rant over.... thank you

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
martinvickers said:
Quantification based on hunches is a fools errand; trying to give pure suspicions a number just seems pointless.

We can be relatively sure of two things.

1. The pool of possible dopers is broadly the same, because people are people, and a certain proportion are always gonna be tempted to cheat. That ain't ever gonna change.

2. The quality of the dope in current use, if its about, has significantly reduced from the EPO/Blood bag heyday - the evidence in reduced times and power outputs is practically undeniable.

That's not limited to cycling either. Female athletics in the 70's and 80's was as crooked and doped as the golden years of EPo in cycling - we still have lots of cheats - but the times from back then from 100 - 800 have never been seriously challenged - a strong sign that while the new dope may be less easy to detect, and readily used, the payoff is that it's not nearly as good either...

I don't think athletes dope to break world record times...I think they just dope to win/earn lots of money.

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
Netserk said:
More like the new British fans of team Sky ;)

Take a look at who voted where. Martinvickers and Fearless Greg voted for the same percentile. I wouldn't have thought that.

Admittedly I voted too low, but off the top of my head I'd only have gone one bracket higher. If it's across a cyclists entire career I'd vote the top peg. But at any given time I don't think everyone is doing something. Over the course of a year I think well over 50% touch something at a minimum in training. Even if it is just a does of testosterone and HGH for recovery. Hence why I voted where I did.

Take a look at who voted 90-100%. Not who I'd pick. Only one name there I expected.

JMBeaushrimp said:
Been following this since you posted it, Net.

One question, what is doped? Like, doped, doped? Or "only" using questionable/banned stuff? Or grey area stuff? Or stuff that's not even listed yet (which is a bullsh*t excuse because under WADA it's "any method to attempt...")?

For all of the above, which is what should be counted since it's all cheating, I'm going with the 70-80 percent.

That's tragic...

And it's a really conservative number...
Anything illegal (against the rules) within the last year. Tried to make the definition as clear as possible :)

TRENDING THREADS