• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

How dirty is SaxoBank-Tinkoff?

Moose McKnuckles said:
Anyone have confidence in this team?

Riis refuses to admit to knowing Fuentes, per Hamilton's testimony.
Oleg Tinkov is now backing the team.
Their lead rider is formerly banned dope cheat Alberto Contador, who worked with Pepe Marti, until the latter's ban.

I have confidence in the team currently being clean. Or rather if someone is doping, it is without the consent of management.

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I have full confidence.

Full confidence that they are doping and that Riis knows about it, backed by Tinkoff who wants results, but without the details so he has plausible deniability.

In relation to Riis:

The first rule of lie club is do not talk about the lie.
The second rule of lie club is deny, deny, deny.

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
What do you mean by confidence in the team?

I'm fairly confident that they never had an organized doping program that systematically administered epo/blood to all team members.

I'm fairly confident that most of their present riders are clean.

I'm fairly confident that Riis (at least at some level) knew about Hamilton doping.

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
cineteq said:
'I do not care what you do, just do not get caught'.

I'm aware of what the man (accordingly to Hamilton, who doesn't seem to be on Christmas cards with Oleg) said. But I don't consider Tinkoff to be part of the management of SBTB.

indian_sewer_man.jpg

Fidolix

BANNED
Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
Totally and utterly worthless thread!

Truth is you can´t say no other team did different, they were part of a culture, every single one were involved and part of it, and in fact I believe there were teams with more organized programs than Saxo who as it looks like only doped their top riders, Hamilton, Basso and Schleck, Zabriskie and VDV both stated they doped without the teams knowing or blessing.

USPS, Festina, TVM, Rabo etc. everybody is involved, nobody is more credible than another, whatever things have changed today... I do believe Saxo is clean today, their results suggest that by a mile, something you can´t say about a couple of other teams.

The evidence that we have about Riis paints a much more complex picture that what people have assumed. Riis appears to have pointed his riders to outside resources so they can dope on their own outside the team, but he and his staff were not actively involved beyond monitoring blood values and the usual medical shenanigans with TUEs for things like cortisone. This is different than managers like Bruyneel and Saiz.

A lot of time has passed since Hamilton and Jaksche worked with Riis. It may be reasonable to assume that a manager who was already doing less than the top fuel teams may have cut back even further, especially since the bio passport has made doping more difficult and reduced the effectiveness of the doping.

My read on Riis is that he wants his team to survive long term. Doping scandals are bad for survival.

TRENDING THREADS