• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

How Dirty is Spanish Cycling

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Well, Valverde's case is everything except recent. And I think it's just a coincidence that Mosquera and Contador test positif that close after each other.

Might as well call every country dirty in the cycling world.

Descender said:
Wait until Contador and Mosquera's cases are properly dealt with.

I am sure that after Judge Serrano gets through with everything that will be a okay. Nothing to see here. Move along.

To answer the titular question, Spanish cycling is like dragging your tongue through the sewer after The Great Flush during half time of the Super Bowl.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
I think spanish cycling is dirtier than others.
Germany was one of the 1st countries to test athletes during training when other countries couldn´t even spell "test".
France has a very strict anti doping law.
Italy has raids every month or so.

And who has the most Top-10 riders compared to overall population? Spain...

I will never say the countries named above are clean, but at least they are trying. And no cover up like the most unspeakable Puerto-Affair.

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
It's terribly unlikely that all countries are equally dirty. The problem will obviously be greater in some and lesser in others. Evidence suggests that Spain is among the worst.

A

Anonymous

auscyclefan94 said:
Who dirty is spanish cycling?
A: It is clean as my arsehole is after ust having a **** in the toilet.

You are meant to wipe!

A

Anonymous

this dirty
1918929524_715f4edefa.jpg

OneRaceWonder said:
What else do you need? A and B positive: BANG!

Mosquera is not suspended and Contador will possibly be acquitted of doping charges... if that happens I'll drag this simplistic moronic post of yours up again.

Not saying Spain isn't the worse big nation doping-wise, which they are. I don't think their riders dope more than, say, Italian or American riders. It's just their authorities play along.

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Descender said:
Mosquera is not suspended.

Don't worry: he will be very soon.
Speaking about Spain, it is not necessarily dirtier than other countries. Belgium and the Netherlands are pretty dirty to, and so are the Italians and the Germans. The Portugese are dirty :p
Just not so sure about the French, they seem to be quite clean.

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
i think most big cycling nations are obviously dirty, the worst reputations are as follows:

USA - have had more than their fair share of "winners" in the last 20 years, especially considering the weak domestic scene. i can't think of one such winner who doesn't now have a big cloud of suspicion over them though. also has lax authorities, other big US sports are all drug-riddled, and weak testing regime.

Spain - lax regulations, lots of +ves, big scandals, organised team doping regimes. but as mentioned above they may well have many of the best riders anyway. and at least they launched operation puerto, even if they didn't have the guts to follow it up very effectively.

Italy - dodgy doctors, corruption, lots of big cases in the '90s (probably not so bad now??), legal wrangling that takes forever, and one or two dodgy teams remain. they have caught and sanctioned a lot of riders, to their credit.

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
Vonn Brinkman said:
Belgium and the Netherlands are pretty dirty to,

i suspect the culture of doping is strong in these countries, even at amateur level. the reason they aren't front and centre stage is the performances of their top pros has been so awful recently. quite encouraging?!

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
Vonn Brinkman said:
Don't worry: he will be very soon.
Speaking about Spain, it is not necessarily dirtier than other countries. Belgium and the Netherlands are pretty dirty to, and so are the Italians and the Germans. The Portugese are dirty :p
Just not so sure about the French, they seem to be quite clean.

I think the germans have gone the way of the french in the last couple of years. I believe they are now the second cleanest big nation. The HTC boys keep them from being level with France.

May 8, 2009
Visit site
And more are more generalizations about the people of a whole country.....

Spanish doping regulations are ashaming. It means that Spanish cyclists, in case they are caught, are not dismissed and considered as what they are, cheaters. The spanish government(s) should feel ashamed of that.

The cyclists in spain are most likely as dirty as the rest in europe (this is, much) since there is wide availability of PEDs in all Europe, lots of medical expertise, and lots of rewards for the cheaters if they are not caught. I insist, all Europe, there are no borders here, anyone can go to any country or professional expert taking a train or a short flight.

I like what they do in France and Germany, but they are exceptions. It does not mean that they have more ethics as a country, but surely their federations and governments are doing much more than in Spain.

Does it mean low ethics in the whole country in all fields? For Gods sake, it´s pathetic, we are not in the War of the 30 years and all that nationalistic BS.

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
khardung la said:
It means that Spanish cyclists, in case they are caught, are not dismissed and considered as what they are, cheaters. The spanish government(s) should feel ashamed of that.

you say this on a day when at least 2 spanish cyclists have in fact been caught cheating.

Clemson Cycling said:
First Valverde, Contador, and now Mosquera. What is this country doing to their cyclists and is it worse then what other cycling federations are doing?

At the rider level, no worse than anybody else.

At the federation level, no worse than the Italians (the Italian Olympic authority - CONI - masks how weak the Italian cycling authority has been on cases, can't be much better than RFEC).

At the official level, that's where the problem lies. Even Portugal had the police and judicial system step in (LA-MSS raids).