• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

How do YOU spell the French word for platoon?

How do you spell it?

• Peloton

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Ninety5rpm said:
How do YOU spell the French word for platoon, the one used in English to refer to a large group of riders?

EDIT: just trying to bring attention to the most misspelled word on this forum.

Being that it is a French word, my first inclination is to spell it as they do: peloton.

Ninety5rpm said:
How do YOU spell the French word for platoon, the one used in English to refer to a large group of riders?

You mean peloton?
I had never thought of it as linked to the word platoon, although it is : a platoon (military) is a peloton.

In my mind the word peloton, when refering to cycling, is linked with the word pelote
Une pelote is a ball. Like a ball of wool.

The sport pelote basque = jaï alaï
Cheers

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
Ninety5rpm said:

EDIT: just trying to bring attention to the most misspelled word on this forum.[/QUOTE

I guess it is peloton.

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Seriously if you understand what the poster is saying what does it matter , why are some of the people on here so pedantic over the most minute things, its an internet forum , does it make you feel like your important cause you can correct someone"s spelling

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
Slightly off topic but still amusing: "The problem with the French is that they don't have a word for entrepreneur." -George W. Bush, discussing the decline of the French economy ...
He really had his way with words:rolleyes:

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
It's not just a case of missspelling here in the forum, everytime i here the word in the german eurosport i'd like to swich off the TV. In real french it is pronounced more like plööto

Le breton said:
The sport pelote basque = jaï alaï
Cheers

Not quite. Pelote Basque (Basque pelota) is a blanket name for a range of very similar sports played on the same or mostly similar forms of two- or three-walled courts. Jaï Alaï is the most well known of these, but there are versions with racquets, bats and also human hand (pelota mano) used to strike the ball. Most versions outside of Jaï Alaï consider catching the pelota to be a foul, while obviously in Jaï Alaï it is acceptable, though I believe there is a limit on how long you can hold it for.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
In Spanish, the word peloton can certainly refer to a platoon, and also can translate to firing squad. It is used in that meaning in the folk ballad "El preso numero nueve" ("Prisoner Number Nine"), where the hero faces "el peloton" rather than admit he was committing adultery with his best friend's wife.

Sydney Sider said:
Seriously if you understand what the poster is saying what does it matter , why are some of the people on here so pedantic over the most minute things, its an internet forum , does it make you feel like your important cause you can correct someone"s spelling
Typos and people with chronic spelling difficulties aside, misspellings often indicate ignorance. That is, if one is well-read in bicycle racing, he or she is likely to know how to spell peloton correctly.

I'd like to think most members of this forum are relatively well-read on bicycle racing, and so should know how to spell peloton. Now, if most of that reading is on this forum, and that term is often misspelled here, then that's not going to work. I'm just trying to address that.

ulrikmm said:
Slightly off topic but still amusing: "The problem with the French is that they don't have a word for entrepreneur." -George W. Bush, discussing the decline of the French economy ...
He really had his way with words:rolleyes:

It is a funny joke, but not true. Bush never said that.

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
krebs303 said:
no I think the most misspelled word here and on the interwebs is lose most often misspelled as loose.;)

Yeah, I tend to do that sometimes. I think the problem is that, unless I mispronounce it too (or is it to? *Look it up on the internet and settles for "too"*), the o is pronounced like in "look" or similar not as in "close", so it sounds like it should be a double o. English pronunciation sucks!

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
ozymandias said:
It is a funny joke, but not true. Bush never said that.
I searched the internet - and actually you are right. This is one funny thing he did not say. (snopes.com). I probably was convinced he said it, because it seemed so plausible. End of OT from me.:rolleyes:

TRENDING THREADS