• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

How do you watch cycling?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

How do you usually watch cycling?

• On TV - Eurosport with English commentary

Votes: 11 14.7%
  • On TV - Eurosport with non-English commentary

Votes: 9 12.0%
  • On TV - Sporza, Danish TV...

Votes: 8 10.7%
  • GCN

Votes: 11 14.7%
  • Eurosport player, English

• Eurosport player, non-English

Votes: 7 9.3%
  • Tiz and other free streams

Votes: 9 12.0%
  • I'm paying for different streams and TV channels

• Other means, explained in post

Votes: 4 5.3%

• Total voters
My order of preference is (I don't bother if I can't watch it live):

Tv2 Play > Eurosport Player (non-ad feeds) > other means.
However, if I'm at my parents', I sometimes just watch on the telly, which means putting up with the ads every five minutes on Eurosport.

Yeah, I just thought that then tiz would probably end up with the most votes since we all watch it now and then... but most probably don't have it as their first source.
I watched Flanders on Tiz because GCN+ didn’t have rights in the US. GCN has been great so far, the signal is solid and the security of knowing your signal won’t cut out due to a copyright violation at a crucial point in the race is reassuring.

I’ve watched a lot of sports on various sources over the 20ish years I’ve been an expat, and the available options these days, while far from perfect, are night and day from how we had to watch rugby in 2004. Literally creating mental pictures based on forum threads at times.

In my head, by creating live images based on this forum posts.
It's beautiful.

This is how I usually do it, although even in regards to that I have been slack this season. Still, I sometimes go back over the forum posts the next day in the race thread, for entertainment.

In Australia it can be difficult because of the time zone. And we don't get the Italian races on free to air television.

I don't watch cycling religiously and probably like the sport and the forum equally. This year I watched Flanders live and a few stages of Paris-Nice and Cataluyna (on replay). I usually end up watching most of the main TDF stages live.

Now days on TV in US just a couple of races live like TDF or Veulta but DVR-ed for later consumption also NBC Gold, Flobikes but would have gone with GCN+ but they won't make their web page which allows me to join their free services but won't properly format a subscribe page for my laptop, they even on a question on their FB page said I can only subscrbe by downloading the App but don't have a smartphone and don't plan to get one. The GCN+ response on their help page and on their FB page suggested I put my personal info on someone else's device (smartphone) where I could subscribe. UGH It's not hard to have, their join and register page, also allow payment from laptop there, it's a stupid decision to require both a relatively expensive monthly fee be paid to access their site on a smartphone from a monthly or prepaid phone plan and also pay for a separate device, when I can if if they made their subscribe web page work so I could subscribed to watch on my laptop. So instead they make me wait for it to upload to THAT site to watch what I am willing to pay for on their site. :mad: I would be able to watch on my laptop why can't I subscribe on it.

P.S. There are literally hundreds of thousands of sites that billing works on probably more like millions of web sites which I can use, there is no excuse not to make it work on their site.

Now days on TV in US just a couple of races live like TDF or Veulta but DVR-ed for later consumption also NBC Gold, Flobikes but would have gone with GCN+ but they won't make their web page which allows me to join their free services but won't properly format a subscribe page for my laptop, they even on a question on their FB page said I can only subscrbe by downloading the App but don't have a smartphone and don't plan to get one. The GCN+ response on their help page and on their FB page suggested I put my personal info on someone else's device (smartphone) where I could subscribe. UGH It's not hard to have, their join and register page, also allow payment from laptop there, it's a stupid decision to require both a relatively expensive monthly fee be paid to access their site on a smartphone from a monthly or prepaid phone plan and also pay for a separate device, when I can if if they made their subscribe web page work so I could subscribed to watch on my laptop. So instead they make me wait for it to upload to THAT site to watch what I am willing to pay for on their site. :mad: I would be able to watch on my laptop why can't I subscribe on it.

P.S. There are literally hundreds of thousands of sites that billing works on probably more like millions of web sites which I can use, there is no excuse not to make it work on their site.

Yeah, that seems pretty stupid on their part. I did wonder why I had to use my phone to get going with them but didn't really consider it much as I thought everyone had smartphones. But it is a really good service, otherwise.

Reactions: Sandisfan
This year I only watched Kuurne-Brussels-Kuurne, LBL and Montalcino, Zoncolan and Sega di Ala stages in Giro. ( Couldn't watch Giau stage because Giro couldn't show the race ). When my semester finishes I watch cycling more and be way more active in the forum though.
Oh, I also watched the final stage of Pais Vasco and the muro stage that VDP won in Tirreno.

Reactions: Sandisfan
At $9.99 per month :( I'm tired of being jerked around when all I want to do is watch cycling in the USA!
If you have xfinity X1, it is free according to the e-mail I received today

I have a medium package with Com(Crap) DVR a US sports package which is actually the only reasonably priced add on, with a cable phone landline and cable modem and it too expensive already and I don't want the remote with the microphone, in the home, for searching for TV listing and pay through the Nose. UGH With GCN+ not letting me pay on my laptop older one with Win7+ and three different browsers. GCN+ requiring the use of an App like on a smartphone/Ipad(newer than we have)(in order to access the billing page and have it format properly) which I don't want and can't afford the monthly charge or the phone itself it makes me crazy. UGH

For the bigger races if you're really stuck, get a VPN (even just for the period of time you're viewing) and watch the Aussie feed on SBS. They don't cover the whole calendar, but should help in a lot of big races including the current Giro (I'm not sure everything they cover but probably easy to find out).

If we were true traditionalists of the sport, it would be by reading the following day's newspapers: if that had been our method, Monday's stage would have been great.

In terms of the method: either while on my turbo trainer (Rouvy on laptop one side of me, Eurosport on Chromebook the other) or on a small screen flipping between race stream, CN forum and (if I have been away from the screen for a while or am catching up and want to know if I can safely fast forward) PCS livedata. And sometimes twitter as well. Plus whatever I am meant to be doing. And wearing headphones so as not to disturb Mrs Armchair.

Until this year, Eurosport via a BT TV package; this year, Eurosport player; next year, probably GCN Pass, because I really don't see myself ever watching the other sports on ES.

Reactions: gregrowlerson
Sporza if it's on there, otherwise Eurosport. Sporza has good commentators. On Eurosport I sometimes turn off the sound when I'm tired of the commentators.

I also check the live reports on this website, to know when it becomes interesting and I need to turn on the tele.

Sometimes I try to see a race along the road, but not that often, and corona has made that impossible for a while.

TRENDING THREADS