• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

How does Champion Systems not get a Beijing WC?

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
theyoungest said:
Not good enough? Also, how many Chinese riders are there on that team? Not many, I think.
Four. Kun Jiang, Jiao Pengda, Liu Biao, and Xu Gang. I'll grant that they aren't very good, of course, but is a Chinese national team all that much better?

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
SetonHallPirate said:
See above.

yes and those 4 riders don't exactly set the world on fire. chinese are proud and want to be really good in a sport or nothing. hey don't want their chinese riders getting humiliated in a wt race.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
theyoungest said:
I don't know if you're right about that, Ryo. Fuyu Li supposedly was some kind of national star in China, and he sucks as well.

he was definitely not a national star. you are maybe mistaking with beppu

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
theyoungest said:
I said "some kind of star", I don't think you can become a true star as a cyclist in China, because the sport is too small.

Of course I didn't mean Beppu, he isn't even Chinese.

well fuyi li wasn't and isn't a star at all in china. beppu was in japan for a bit when he was with discovery. in china there are no cycling stars. only basketball, ping pong, badminton, gaming and football basically.

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
Li Fuyu was a hit in China when he won the Tour of Thailand and Westfalen Preis(despite a NE) in 2006.
Now Ji Cheng obviously gets the most attention. MSR and Vuelta finisher, combativity award winner. Don't be stunned but they are results beyond expectation for Chinese fans.
Jiao Pengda was the best of the 4 CS China riders I think. He is an all-rounder and capable of some stage races in Asia. Xu Gang just won the national RR. But now they just don't have the calibre to make impression on high level races.

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
now they got a wildcard by accident, but to be honest the whole team hasn't the quality to compete in those races.
At the beginning of this year they applied for all RCS races in Italy but failed to get a wildcard, even for the one stage classics, due to to the lack of quality.

Besides did they ever made a result in europe this year on continental niveau (1.1...HC) ?

theyoungest said:
Well d0h, maltiv asked a question about this race so he must be ;)
Turns out he must have ridden the Vuelta as well then, since I wrote like 300 posts then :p

I actually just wondered because I had noticed there was no time trial, and with no stage that is bound to be very selective the race could be an utter joke without bonus seconds, i.e decided by stage placements (such as Catalonya was from 2nd to whatever).

May 25, 2009
Visit site
maltiv said:
Turns out he must have ridden the Vuelta as well then, since I wrote like 300 posts then :p

I actually just wondered because I had noticed there was no time trial, and with no stage that is bound to be very selective the race could be an utter joke without bonus seconds, i.e decided by stage placements (such as Catalonya was from 2nd to whatever).

That sort of race can be pretty fun IMO. Better than a race like last year where everything was decided by a single TT on the first day, anyway.

maltiv said:

Erik Dekker says there are no bonifications, and stage placements decide GC. But it's Erik Dekker, he also sees 3 opportunities for Theo Bos in this race.

William H said:
That sort of race can be pretty fun IMO. Better than a race like last year where everything was decided by a single TT on the first day, anyway.
Fun to watch...perhaps. But insanely dangerous. Imagine if, say, 10-15 people finish s.t on the "MTF". Then the winner will be decided by whoever does best in the bunch sprints. Skinny climbers participating in bunch sprints is a never a good idea, as it definitely can result in fatal injuries...

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
18-Valve. (pithy) said:
The 2nd stage was redrawn for some reason. The new profile isn't up yet, but it's 8 kms shorter than initially planned. The could have replaced it with a mostly flat stage I suppose. Not sure why, though.
A landslide destroyed the original route, requiring it to be redrawn. http://www.tourofbeijing.net/2012/0...chinese-further-embrace-the-sport-of-cycling/

I have the new roadbook on my hard drive, but unfortunately, the UCI has neglected to pay for enough bandwidth to allow me to link to the download.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts