• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

How does Champion Systems not get a Beijing WC?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
18-Valve. (pithy) said:
Thanks. At least they didn't replace it with a flat stage.

Is the new "principal climb" another 4% drag?
As best as I can tell, 10.6 km at 6.3%. It's a start-stop climb though, not a steady uphill climb.

Edit: http://ridewithgps.com/routes/1781584 There's the adjusted stage. Before you ask, Google Earth distorts things even more than ridewithgps does, in that Google Earth is showing a spot with a 59.3% slope...which is not likely.

Stibolino said:
now they got a wildcard by accident, but to be honest the whole team hasn't the quality to compete in those races.
At the beginning of this year they applied for all RCS races in Italy but failed to get a wildcard, even for the one stage classics, due to to the lack of quality.

Besides did they ever made a result in europe this year on continental niveau (1.1...HC) ?
Apart from Cameron Wurf the team has very little going for it ATM and he's heading back to Brixia next year. The only reason he didn't ride for Liquigas this year was a licencing mishap anyway.

Wurf should have some good showings on the hilly stages if he's in form but Champion Systems will be the weakest team for sure.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Same as in any country. Minus the ping pong basketball and badminton of.course.

there are many countries in which cyclists are bigger stars than football players. bolivia, colombia, gaudeloupe, belize and eritrea :)

Ryo Hazuki said:
there are many countries in which cyclists are bigger stars than football players. bolivia, colombia, gaudeloupe, belize and eritrea :)

Dont know about the other countries but in Colombia no. Herrera may have been a big name among many but he was not bigger than Andres Escobar, and I know some Colombians who still hold Santi Botero to heart but he is not a bigger name than say Higuita.

Not even close

I dont care much for football but isnt 1 of those top strikers these days Colombian? Uran or Quintana or Cardenas or whoever you choose as the most well known cyclist, unfortunately is unlikely to have 1/10th of the fans.

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
SetonHallPirate said:
As best as I can tell, 10.6 km at 6.3%. It's a start-stop climb though, not a steady uphill climb.

Edit: http://ridewithgps.com/routes/1781584 There's the adjusted stage. Before you ask, Google Earth distorts things even more than ridewithgps does, in that Google Earth is showing a spot with a 59.3% slope...which is not likely.

The reason the profile is garbage is the roads and the rivers are not on the correct places on the map, the are both east of where they should be when you look at the terrain. There is no way the rivers don't follow the valleys and instead go straight up the sides of hills.

EDIT: The Esri Topo map seems to have the roads and rivers in the right spots.

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
I know get 12.3kms at 5.9% toping at the 69kms, 60kms from the finish. So this is quite a decent climb although to far from the finish.
There is another climb of about 4kms at 7% at the 100km point, but still over 20kms to go and the last 20kms seems to be flat.

The Hitch said:
Dont know about the other countries but in Colombia no. Herrera may have been a big name among many but he was not bigger than Andres Escobar, and I know some Colombians who still hold Santi Botero to heart but he is not a bigger name than say Higuita.

Not even close

I dont care much for football but isnt 1 of those top strikers these days Colombian? Uran or Quintana or Cardenas or whoever you choose as the most well known cyclist, unfortunately is unlikely to have 1/10th of the fans.
Ryo is a connoisseur of many countries of the world. Until someone from the actual country enters this forum and it turns out he's wrong ;)