• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

How happy are you with Cyclingnews.com in its current state?

How happy are you with Cyclingnews.com in its current state?

• Other (see below)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
initially I found it confusing and awkward but it is getting better and I find myself reading the longer articles rather than the condensed summaries of the days news. I am starting to warm up to it but that is only 1/2 an endorsement.

A

Anonymous

to be honest i havnt visited now for about a month.. dont need to, between the official tour program, the forum and live tv find out everything i need to know... :(

Jul 8, 2009
Visit site
terrible changes. too hard to find the latest overall news summary. results pages are long with lots of wastful space. live updates are in huge type and poorly presented.

a bloated version of USA Today when it used to be the New York Times for cycling.

Jun 3, 2009
Visit site
I'm different to most, at first i actually didn't mind it, prefered the old version but liked the new one too.

And i've found myself liking it more and more. So well done CN team from me.

Jun 24, 2009
Visit site
campyguy said:
terrible changes. too hard to find the latest overall news summary. results pages are long with lots of wastful space. live updates are in huge type and poorly presented.

a bloated version of USA Today when it used to be the New York Times for cycling.

Don't like it either, and the bottom line is I have been looking at a lot of other sites since this change has taken place. It's too bad this happened, but it's out of our control.:cool:

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
it's horrible...it is very delayed loading and moving around to the horrible new layout. Nobody layed it out there like the old site. This site makes me sad, but I don't know where else to go. Nothing is good. The old site was perfect. I will continue to look for other sites until you mother f.u.ckers die...there, I said it.

Apr 8, 2009
Visit site
TreeFiddy said:
it's horrible...it is very delayed loading and moving around to the horrible new layout. Nobody layed it out there like the old site. This site makes me sad, but I don't know where else to go. Nothing is good. The old site was perfect. I will continue to look for other sites until you mother f.u.ckers die...there, I said it.
Suggest you up the dosage until the knot in your brain relaxes a bit - it's just a web site.:)

Mar 15, 2009
Visit site
R.i.p. Cn

Awful site design with no identity whatsoever, the live coverage ticker doesn't work, uncredited photos, a gazillion broken links with the changes in the results archive, incorrect URLs in the twitter announcements, to mention a few.

It's impressive how fast this changed from the site I read twice a day to a site I only visit when there are no alternatives, and then leave as fast as possible.

Rest in peace, cyclingnews.com.

Jul 11, 2009
Visit site
Your site used to be a clearinghouse of everything bike racing and extremely simple to find all the latest results and news. Now I just pop in in hopes you changed back. This isn't working! Did you hire the guys from Velonews.com?

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
Fresh look

After being away for 3 weeks (on holiday) and hardly looking at anything internet during that time, until the Tour started, I must say that I am fairly happy with the new format. Taking a fresh look after some fixes/improvements were made and getting away from the initial emotional response of "different is bad" seems to have helped my perspective. One thing I would like improved (unless I just haven't found it yet) is to be able to navigate directly from the Stage Details or Stage Results page of one stage directly to another without going back to the "all stages" page. I often like to jump from stage to stage while perusing the route map/elevation profile or the results without having to navigate back to a "main" page.

Jul 15, 2009
Visit site
They really f*d it.

CN reader since 2002.
Now, it's a pain ... to look for everything.
Photos.. my god.. are they secret, now???
All is messed in a non-functional sequence, some views simply doesn't work - today, I wanted to check the Tour stage profile, and only half of the image was displayed, due size/show setting problems.
Waited some weeks, but it's getting worse - looking for some info in other places.
Stupid changes.

May 5, 2009
Visit site
I still miss the old site. So simple to look at! So easy to navigate. Navigating through the stages on this year's site was pretty dissatisfying. Bummer! :)

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
God awful.

:mad:Getting on for nearly two months since the new site was forced upon us. Have I learn't to love it? No. Like it? No. Accept it? Just can't. The old site was easier to use & had way more information. Funny how all the news in cycling seems to have dried up since the new site arrived. There used to be two solid updates a day, now it's one and a whole heap of that is local rubbish. Has become UK-centric which pains me massively despite being a Brit myself. UK just cannot get it's head around pro-cycling. Race photos have diminished significantly, but then I guess someone was paying for those. As mentioned in a previous thread I would sooner pay a monthly / annual sub to keep the old site + it's quality than this joke of a new site. GET RID OF DANIEL BENSON & BRING BACK THE AUSSIES:mad:

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
i havnt seen the old site but the navigation is shocking, and the home page isnt that good looking either... and when you scroll it looks like things are put there because they can be put there. no order at all. I'd have liked to see the old site to compare it....

A

Anonymous

hayleyy said:
i havnt seen the old site but the navigation is shocking, and the home page isnt that good looking either... and when you scroll it looks like things are put there because they can be put there. no order at all. I'd have liked to see the old site to compare it....

compare away...

http://autobus.cyclingnews.com/

May 5, 2009
Visit site
hayleyy said:
Haven't seen the old site but... the navigation is shocking... the home page isnt that good... either... it looks like things are put there because they can be put there...

dimspace said:
Compare away!

I can imagine a couple of scenarios. I have to admit the first time I visited the old site, many, many years ago, 2003, maybe? I was overwhelmed by it. I thought "How can they cram so much information on one page?" But I grew to love it. Man. it was cool!

Anyways, here's a reader who never saw the old site! Wow! It makes me wonder how they'll like the old site. I'd be happy to hear feedback about the old site! : ) Heh heh! myabe it's far worse than I thought to someone who never saw it before! By the way, out of curiousity I'd ask how long you (hayleyy) have been visiting this site and where you've been getting your cycling news before this...

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
My only real issue is the basic loss of the the First Edition News and Latest Edition News round-ups that used to be religiously updated...First Edition in the morning...Latest Edition in the afternoon...on the same day!

It's not happening now, but I'm holding out hope that they will get it back to that standard.

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
manolo said:
I can imagine a couple of scenarios. I have to admit the first time I visited the old site, many, many years ago, 2003, maybe? I was overwhelmed by it. I thought "How can they cram so much information on one page?" But I grew to love it. Man. it was cool!

Anyways, here's a reader who never saw the old site! Wow! It makes me wonder how they'll like the old site. I'd be happy to hear feedback about the old site! : ) Heh heh! myabe it's far worse than I thought to someone who never saw it before! By the way, out of curiousity I'd ask how long you (hayleyy) have been visiting this site and where you've been getting your cycling news before this...

I only paid attention to cycling around when the tour de france started, so i had no clue about cycling before this years tour de france. I'm still pretty clueless. I think i joined here 2 or 3 weeks ago, so it hasnt been long. i dont even know where i found the URL, probably while i was googling. to be honest, i find the website pretty good because i havnt been able to find any other ones that are more informative. its just the layout and navigation, horrible. the informations there, you just gotta find it.

May 5, 2009
Visit site
hayleyy said:
i find the website pretty good... informative.. [but] the layout and navigation [are] horrible

The website is pretty good and it is very informative! :) It's just us old farts found the previous navigation and layout beautiful, simple easy-to-use and "well-built"! I don't think any of us had any complaints! To restate a previous post in the main thread:

manolo said:
I still don't like the new site half as much as I ever did the old. There is nothing - nothing at all - I prefer from the new site than the old. Not one single thing... Well, I guess I'll just have to live with it and remember the old site fondly.

It was a pretty slick site! I hope (in vain) one day you I'll come back here and they'll say:

manolo said:
""Back, by popular demand, we give you, the old website!". [But] I'm delusional... I'm bitter, I know... But, yeah, I wish this "purple" madness, all the Flash ads, all the small photos, all the crazy navigation, all the crammed pages with all the "crunched-up-to-one-side" text, the carrousel and the pages with "News Headlines" next to "News Editions" would stop.(

Here it is in all its glory:

http://autobus.cyclingnews.com/

I always wonder if the owners ever wonder if their readers would be happier with a site based on the new technology that mimicked the 'look and feel" of the "old one". I know if it was my site, I'd certainly want to foster loyalty and appreciation! : ) (Please, CN, please! Put up your own poll and ask your readers! On your homepage!) If I'm lucky, one day, some day, we'll all get to see it again! : )

By the way, if you're curious, you probably already saw it, but there's whole thread on other cycling websites:

manolo said:

Aug 22, 2009
Visit site
I don't like it at all.
I feel like I miss a lot of the articles because you have to pick and choose which ones to read as opposed to having several updates throughout the day. (yes, I know they are still there, but by the time you scroll down to try to find them....)
Also, finding the photos from the races is not as intuitive as it once was. Again, I miss a lot.

There is so much redundancy on the site. The flashbox, then the articles, then the news roundups. It just sucks!

TRENDING THREADS