• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

How long are European climbs open?

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Im looking at heading over to Europe soonish and am wondering how late you can still climb the major ranges (pyrennes, alpes)?

Im assuming towards Late September the possibility of rain will be significant but anything less than snow is fine!

Apr 8, 2009
Visit site
For the Pyrennees, you can look at the snowline predictions (google).

For a climb such as Tourmalet, there is a high risk that you will meet bad weather at the top if you go towards the end of September, and this could include snow.

Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
South of the Pyrennes there are lots of good climbs which never really get closed in winter - particularly those around Valencia/Alicante/Murcia where it can get cold but doesn't ever rain very much. You could also try the Picos de Europa, which are much wetter and more misty than Valencia at the end of the year, but generally stay snow free until the end of December; and even then most big climbs like Lagos de Covadonga will be passable after a day or two.

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
the cols in France over 2000m are often closed from November until end of April, but it really depends of the importance of the col (the col du Lautaret (before Galibier) is open nearly every winter day, others like the Cormet de Roselend are always closed) and of the weather.
You can find if a col in open on:
http://www.bison-fute.equipement.gouv.fr/acces-aux-cols/index.do

but don't worry, in end of September, except very bad weather (you can have snow and closed cols even in July), the cols are all open.

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
Not wanting to sound like grandma, but have you done any major climbs in cold wet weather? After doing a few of them, this is what I've figured out:

The uphill part is fine, but the downhill part is usually miserable and possibly dangerous if you're not well-prepared and careful.

Make sure you take every piece of warm cycling clothing you have. And if you don't have a full set of it (baselayer, jacket, arm and leg warmers, booties, beanie, thick winter gloves, etc. etc. etc.) get it before you go.

Obviously, the road is slippery, and your brakes don't work as well as they normally would. So be really careful downhill. Incidentally, if you don't fit them, consider the Kool-stop pads, which are a big improvement on at least Shimano's stock brake pads in my opinion.

And if it's marginal, and you don't have a support car, think long and hard about whether you really want to go.

All that said, enjoy your trip!

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
rgmerk said:
Not wanting to sound like grandma, but have you done any major climbs in cold wet weather? After doing a few of them, this is what I've figured out:

The uphill part is fine, but the downhill part is usually miserable and possibly dangerous if you're not well-prepared and careful.

Make sure you take every piece of warm cycling clothing you have. And if you don't have a full set of it (baselayer, jacket, arm and leg warmers, booties, beanie, thick winter gloves, etc. etc. etc.) get it before you go.

Obviously, the road is slippery, and your brakes don't work as well as they normally would. So be really careful downhill. Incidentally, if you don't fit them, consider the Kool-stop pads, which are a big improvement on at least Shimano's stock brake pads in my opinion.

And if it's marginal, and you don't have a support car, think long and hard about whether you really want to go.

sage advice.
One other thing on a long climb the weather can be quite different between when u start & when u reach the top. Do not be fooled, carry some extra gear.
I got stuck on the top of a remote climb in the states, 80 degrees at the base sleeting near the summit. My hands froze on the descent, and i started to shiver uncontrollably making the bike handling pretty dicey.
luckily there was a camping area part way down, i used a trashbin liner i salvaged there to line the inside of my jersey to make it to the bottom.
even if i carry a jacket i never go anywhere without a plastic liner. If you get cold it reflects the heat from your body & gets your temp up fairly quick in an emergency.

Aug 7, 2009
Visit site
rgmerk said:

Last year in July we had +2 Celcius and almost snow on the Fedeia & torrential rain down the Stelvio....and other days really hot and sunny !

Just to say, weather can change a lot in the mountains at all times.

And it can be pretty hot as well, last week descending the Col d'Aspin it felt like somebody had a huge hairdrier set to max all to cloose:D

Jul 16, 2009
Visit site
caution all round. the glory of july soon decreases with a rain storm at 3,000 meters in Autumn. All winter months is out. A month is Gap proved this

Even the lower slopes are great spins.Bring your bike and enjoy.
Always bring your bike

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
All the cols in the Pyrenees are open into early November. The end of September is very good as the really hot weather is gone but temps can still be in the high 20s.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Thanks everyone for the advice and guidance.

I have spent a bit of time riding in and around Vancouver in late autumn so am well aware of having to carry clothing for every occasion!

Looks like moving from the Pyrenees down through Spain and setting up base in the south for a while might be the best bet.

TRENDING THREADS