• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

How long were they using CERA for?

Anybody have an answer? I don't ever recall being told or reading about how long they were using it for before it all imploded in several riders faces last year.

Was it just last year? Since 05 or 07 (didnt they find some sort of EPO in rasmussen's retested samples?) and what performances in those years do you think could be attributed to CERA - Ras? Vino? Ricco, 07 Di luca? maybe even Landis?

Will be interested to here your thoughts, ideas or even evidence on this subject.

El Imbatido said:
Anybody have an answer? I don't ever recall being told or reading about how long they were using it for before it all imploded in several riders faces last year.

Was it just last year? Since 05 or 07 (didnt they find some sort of EPO in rasmussen's retested samples?) and what performances in those years do you think could be attributed to CERA - Ras? Vino? maybe even Landis?

Will be interested to here your thoughts, ideas or even evidence on this subject.

I think I remember Dr. Fuentes was using it on some of his clients, so that would make it at least 2005 or 2006. He must have been getting it from clinical trials. I suspect that DiLuca's transformation into a Giro contender was completely fueled by CERA, Dynepo, or other undetectable EPOs.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
The Oil for Drugs investigation revealed Santuccione was supplying it to italian riders as soon as the clinical trials started sometime during late 2004/early 2005.

That's what happens with the vast majority of drugs.....they go around for a few years before a test is developed.

You guys go way back in time with this product. There was a report before the Tour 2007 in which there was speculation that Fuentes was back in business and giving alternate product to traditional EPO. Here is the link from Cyclingnews:

http://autobus.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2007/apr07/apr16news2

At least we can assume that most of the riders in that Tour were on CERA. No wonder why they were flying around those mountains. Rasmussen, Contador, Evans, Soler, Levi, etc.

East Sycamore said:
So what kinds of blood-enriching products are in clinical trials right now?
There was an excellent thread in which we discussed about some alternate products which boost, not the O2 delivery but the rate at which the tissues in the human body can process the oxygen. The key information was given by a forist named “Mitochondrion” (check the spelling, because I am not sure of it). Look for his posts. I think the thread started based on what one of the French authorities in doping said about riders being on alternate products that were on trial at this moment.
I hope this helps.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Escarabajo said:
You guys go way back in time with this product. There was a report before the Tour 2007 in which there was speculation that Fuentes was back in business and giving alternate product to traditional EPO. Here is the link from Cyclingnews:

http://autobus.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2007/apr07/apr16news2

At least we can assume that most of the riders in that Tour were on CERA. No wonder why they were flying around those mountains. Rasmussen, Contador, Evans, Soler, Levi, etc.
Evans may well be doped, but he has legit talent. Lots of the others are donkeys.

BroDeal said:
I think I remember Dr. Fuentes was using it on some of his clients, so that would make it at least 2005 or 2006. He must have been getting it from clinical trials. I suspect that DiLuca's transformation into a Giro contender was completely fueled by CERA, Dynepo, or other undetectable EPOs.
Good to have you back, I though you left this forum for a different one.

Jul 8, 2009
www.edwardgtalbot.com
Given the fact that riders are using drugs in trials, I wonder how the willingness to retest old samples now will affect that. It would be interesting if they announced that the samples from the podium finishers in every pro tour race would be re-tested with the latest tests at the end of each year for five years following the race.

Certainly I can see issues to overcome with doing that, but it would certainly up the ante for risking a positive test.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
egtalbot said:
Given the fact that riders are using drugs in trials, I wonder how the willingness to retest old samples now will affect that. It would be interesting if they announced that the samples from the podium finishers in every pro tour race would be re-tested with the latest tests at the end of each year for five years following the race.

Certainly I can see issues to overcome with doing that, but it would certainly up the ante for risking a positive test.

That is the only way that this type of thing can be "controlled", so the UCI will never allow it! ;)

May 13, 2009
Visit site
Escarabajo said:
There was an excellent thread in which we discussed about some alternate products which boost, not the O2 delivery but the rate at which the tissues in the human body can process the oxygen. The key information was given by a forist named “Mitochondrion” (check the spelling, because I am not sure of it). Look for his posts. I think the thread started based on what one of the French authorities in doping said about riders being on alternate products that were on trial at this moment.
I hope this helps.

Was it this thread or this one? Mitochondrion was a guy who really knew his stuff. A pity he stopped posting.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
issoisso said:
The Oil for Drugs investigation revealed Santuccione was supplying it to italian riders as soon as the clinical trials started sometime during late 2004/early 2005.

That's what happens with the vast majority of drugs.....they go around for a few years before a test is developed.

It may have been a little bit earlier. There was an article in Le Monde at the beginning of July 2004 that said CERA was probably being used in the peloton.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
egtalbot said:

Ivano Fanini offered money to fully finance re-testing of all major races from 2006 onwards for CERA. McQuaid said "there's no need".

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
sars1981 said:
3 years, 141 days, 6 hours, 27 seconds.

Actually, 2 days before that Wesemann put out the most outlandishly dominant performance I've ever seen, at the Amstel Gold, so he was no doubt using it by then.

(I find that's the best way to reply to that kind of post :p)

Escarabajo said:
Good to have you back, I though you left this forum for a different one.

Left to get some miles in. :)

Escarabajo said:

http://autobus.cyclingnews.com/news....r07/apr16news2

Maybe that is the report I am remembering, but I seem to recall Fuentes advising clients to take CERA before he was busted.

TRENDING THREADS