• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

how long will Bert Contadors ban be ?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
Nothing. RFEC will not ban Contador.

WADA may appeal, UCI won't .... and the appeal (WADA's) will get withdrawn before the CAS hearing.

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
What he should get - 2 years
What he may get - alot less than that - this is the UCI after all
What I'd like to see him (and other convicted dopers get) - life ban

I think I'll bet that the UCI will find a way to make sure he is at the 2011 TdF, even if he gets a short ban or is stripped of 2010.

They could look for a win-win solution where the UCI gets to say that they punished Contador even though they don't believe the Clen use was intentional, and Contador gets to claim that his positive was inadvertent. Both parties get to walk away feeling that they got the best realistic outcome from a bad situation.

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
If he gets off at all then a dangerous precedent will be set. If they have a zero tolerance policy then they will give him the full 2 years. I have a feeling he will get less somehow.
Anyway im all for 4 year bans. There has to be no mercy shown & any progress if you want to call it that has been made can be helped again by even stiffer penalties. Gotta try get the message across to the punks who wanna be smart.

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
If justice is followed he'll get either a 2 year or 1 one year ban, depending on wether cycling authorities accepts that he ingested the substance unwittingly, as in the case of Allessandro Colo, or not.

If he is given a 1 year ban he'll be able to return to racing at next years Vuelta, wich should be viewed as very lenient in the circumstances. The facts are that he delivered a clearcut positive for a substance that has no minimum threshold and has only given a highly unlikely explenation as to how it could've been ingested unwittingly. As the existance of Clenbuterol in spannish cattle is at best close to non exsistant at worst simply theoretical.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
Kodiak said:
For Clen there is no minimum. If it's there you're busted.
wait, how did the german ponger get off ?

he tested positive for 50% more clen than found in contador, tested by the same lab only days apart.

ps. btw, if you became papa, congrats !

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
It's a tricky one.

The argument that he deliberately took clen on the rest day, but in such a small dose it would be useless, doesn't make sense.

So that leaves us with his claim "it was the cows that done it" and suspicions that it was a result of a transfusion.

If you can't prove the latter took place, what are you left with?

As I said, it's a tricky one.

I wouldn't be surprised if he receives no penalty. Nor would I be surprised if he gets 6 months and loses the 2010 TdF.

I'd be more surprised by 2 years.

Whatever happens, it'll be unsatisfactory to a lot of fans.

Steve

A

Anonymous

No ban from the UCI saying their is no evidence he was doping, they will hand it over the spanish authorities to deal with, who will shock us all by doing nothing.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
TeamSkyFans said:
No ban from the UCI saying their is no evidence he was doping, they will hand it over the spanish authorities to deal with, who will shock us all by doing nothing.

And you really think WADA would allow that?

El Pistolero said:
And you really think WADA would allow that?
WADA looks the other way where many other sports are concerned. If they were to ever reach a profitable agreement with UCI, who's to say they wouldn't back off? WADA is our only hope because of its quarrels with UCI, not because it in itself is trustworthy.

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
He'll receive time served....a fine, and a "don't get caught next time" slap on the wrist.

It's all about Money people. He brings too much money to the table, they really don't give a dang about principles when it really comes down to money. If the sport is not profitable, they wouldn't have futures. Doping is doping, and "you can't win the TDF on bread and water".

A lifetime ban is ridiculous. It wouldn't hold up in court either.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
I hope that Contador gets a full 2 year ban, and is made to do sanitation work at various Spanish feedlots. Also I should hope for a dismantaling of the cancer known as Astana. All Astana riders and management should be made to stay 1000 meters from any sporting events for 4 years.

I am sure 2 year ban for Contador as he lied about the Clen poisoning. I feel sorry for him as I think he was set up for this one. Great rider great champion nice guy but too bad. I hope he comes back after his ban and is a world beater.

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
You know, that is a good point. I'd have thought Astana would have cleaned up their act after Bruyneel left that team.

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site
He'll receive a formal apology for his troubles.

That German lab will have an "accidental" late night fire. You don't touch a made man.

May 24, 2010
Visit site
I don't expect to see a ban but for one reason only:

Because there is only one lab globally that can detect clenbuterol at a level so far below what WADA recommend every court in the globe would throw the case out because there is not a level playing field across every WADA accredited lab. If the samples had been tested at LLND we'd have heard nothing because they would have found nothing.

Travesty perhaps but someone somewhere will prove that it's unfair.....

I've no doubt he has taken something and probably because of the bad respiratory problems he's had this year. Particularly pre TDF. Transfusion or no transfusion, it isn't EPO, it isn't CERA and at the micro value detected does not warrant a 2 year ban.

TRENDING THREADS