• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

how long will Bert Contadors ban be ?

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Now the Spanish Federation is in charge of ruling among some other things, whether he keeps his win on a race that happened to be in France. Nonsense.

icefire said:
Now the Spanish Federation is in charge of ruling among some other things, whether he keeps his win on a race that happened to be in France. Nonsense.
Indeed. That's why WADA's suggestion that UCI takes care of administering the bans makes sense (as long as there's no independent governing body who manages all the anti-doping stuff, of course).

ttrider

BANNED
Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
I guess this is a statement that he ll now be tried and probably banned, if he isnt banned expect CAS to ban him anyway, the biased spanish should cut there losses and give him a year, that way UCI and WADA may not take it to CAS, otherwise i fear this will drag on for a year

Apr 2, 2010
Visit site
FGimondi said:
If justice is followed he'll get either a 2 year or 1 one year ban, depending on wether cycling authorities accepts that he ingested the substance unwittingly, as in the case of Allessandro Colo, or not.

If he is given a 1 year ban he'll be able to return to racing at next years Vuelta, wich should be viewed as very lenient in the circumstances. The facts are that he delivered a clearcut positive for a substance that has no minimum threshold and has only given a highly unlikely explenation as to how it could've been ingested unwittingly. As the existance of Clenbuterol in spannish cattle is at best close to non exsistant at worst simply theoretical.

+1. I think he will get a 1 year ban too and lose his TDF title. It will be the compromise (split the baby). UCI/WADA will say it was unknowingly ingested but rules are rules. AC can say he didn't intentionally dope with UCI/WADA's blessing. He will get to ride the 2011 Vuelta. The Spanish authorities will be content. Everybody saves some face.

Bicicleta said:
So that means they think he is guilty, why don't they say so in so many words, what's for the RFEC to do at this point?

It's going to be though on the RFEC though, he's still a hero over there, even Thor is disgusted by what's going on : http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/hushovd-criticises-contador-support !

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
I have no idea if he'll get suspended or not, but what are the chances that the TdF people would not invite him/his team to the tour next year? Kind of like the Vuelta did to the Shack this year...

Personally I'd like to see him race next year...it makes it more interesting, especially if some shiznat would hit the fan :)

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
ttrider said:
I guess this is a statement that he ll now be tried and probably banned, if he isnt banned expect CAS to ban him anyway, the biased spanish should cut there losses and give him a year, that way UCI and WADA may not take it to CAS, otherwise i fear this will drag on for a year

Good point, but even banning him for one year would really need to include stripping him of the 2010 Tour Title, which I don't see the Spanish doing.

I predict that the Spanish do not ban him, but then CAS steps in and strips his title and gives him a 2 year ban and Contador leaves the sport for good.

Poor Bjarne...:(:(:(

ttrider said:

This.

Stupid CN rule of at least 10 characters...

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
i see it as wada being pretty sure that clen got into his system via blood transfusion. the uci just went along as it couldn't do otherwise after asking wada for help.

the case will almost certainly be heading to cas and i don't know how it will rule.

will not be surprised if contador raced in 2011. doubt aso will let him in the tour.

jae2460 said:
Good point, but even banning him for one year would really need to include stripping him of the 2010 Tour Title, which I don't see the Spanish doing.

I predict that the Spanish do not ban him, but then CAS steps in and strips his title and gives him a 2 year ban and Contador leaves the sport for good.

Poor Bjarne...:(:(:(
Poor Bjarne ?! In a way that would punish him for his 1996 stolen win that made him a star and a rich man.

Back to Bertie, if memory serves if the RFEC sanction him, and how couldn't they, he will lose his TDF title, not sure of the exact mechanics though, is it for the UCI to decide or the TDF organizers...

roundabout said:
That's the standard procedure according to the regulations where the national federation decides on the sanction.
Apparently, but it really makes little sense as a national federation will be biased (except in Germany maybe where they're go above and beyond) and will likely lack the expertise to understand the ins and outs. It's just a waste of time. Besides if the UCI doesn't like the verdict they'll appeal.

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
python said:
wait, how did the german ponger get off ?

he tested positive for 50% more clen than found in contador, tested by the same lab only days apart.

ps. btw, if you became papa, congrats !

Somewhere in there is a bad-mouth-johnny joke.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
The spanish will get him off. Even federal government ministers, local government ministers and heads of sporting bodies in spain support him. An absolute joke...Corrupution at it's best.

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site
Does anyone else no longer care whether or not Aldirto is sanctioned? After hearing that this "investigation" is likely to drag on for another 3 months, I really don't give a sh!t what happens.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
It is all in the past, can't we just move on? The Spanish economy is in the tank with over 20% unemployment. I am sure they can use the money for better things then investigating AC

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
test him every day

Rather than a ban, I'd like to see AC ride the tour next year, but be tested every single day of the race. I think it would be hard to dope if you're tested every single day.

Then we could see how he performs clean.

I'm not sure if this is feasible for blood tests...losing a few milliliters daily would add up to a disadvantage eventually.

Anyone know the maximum frequency of blood tests in a GT that won't affect the rider adversely?

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
biokemguy said:
Rather than a ban, I'd like to see AC ride the tour next year, but be tested every single day of the race. I think it would be hard to dope if you're tested every single day.

Then we could see how he performs clean.

I'm not sure if this is feasible for blood tests...losing a few milliliters daily would add up to a disadvantage eventually.

Anyone know the maximum frequency of blood tests in a GT that won't affect the rider adversely?

I like that idea!..conditional discharge / brobation so to speek..has to contribute a substantial fine that goes towards the extra cost of his being tested MUCH more frequently for 2 years by an outside agency (the UCI cant be trusted). I wonder if WADDA might see such an exersise as agreable rather than get into a fight with the Spanish Federation if they fail to take the action they feel nescercery. Its still a big punishment but he gets to ride .
If he fails to deliver on the bike his credibilty is finished.
From a "professional" point of view it makes sence.
Im sure theres plenty of holes in the idea...but its worth pondering ..how do you make a "Professional " sport accountable in a professional maner if the "crime" of doping isnt actualy a crime in law? .
Me thinks that the adoption of "sporting fraud" law by all competing nations in the Olympics ..that participation in the Olympics depended on that Law being in place for a competing nation could hold the key to being the strongest deterant to doping theres ever been.
So obviously that aint gonna happen any time soon!:rolleyes:

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
The way Contador is positioning himself for the legal fight shows that this will drag on for quite a while. If they let AC slide, the sport of cycling will be given a "death sentence", and it will only be a matter of time before it goes under. What sponsor in their right mind would sink Big Dollars into such a screwed up sport? Contador is about to make a joke of the whole testing program.

TRENDING THREADS