• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

how many are riding with injuries?

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
This tour may long be remembered by the carnage that were stages 2 and 3. I have the utmost respect for the "riding wounded" who are soldiering on despite their injuries.

To see Evans representing the Rainbow Jersey in today's stage despite his abandoned hopes and broken arm is an inspiration. There are many others who are equally brave and tough.

Vive le Tour

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
Frank Schleck Christian VDV, Hansen and Simon Gerrans have all broken bones, but abandoned - FS Clavical x3 (I think) and Gerrans his arm VDV ribs. Hansen did a shoulder blade, got back on his bike, drove the peleton to bring back the escape for HTC, then abandoned that night. That and the guys like Cadel, Millar etc carrying on in the mountains, these guys are tough.

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
Cutter makes great points.

The fact that riders hide their injuries so that their competition won't know their weaknesses means that we might never know the whole story. The riders won't want to share their injuries with the masses after the race for fear of being labeled "excuse makers".

I once fractured a wrist while racing. I took three weeks off, then returned to easy training for a month. The doctors told me to take nine weeks off. I felt tough for returning early.

The racers in this year's TdF (or any other for that matter) who have suffered fractures and fought on are truly hard-men. Much respect to them for their courage and dedication.

Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
David Suro said:
I once fractured a wrist while racing. I took three weeks off, then returned to easy training for a month. The doctors told me to take nine weeks off. I felt tough for returning early.
I would have loved a rest like that but was back on the bike after a couple of days, didn't want to lose too much fitness. Had to pad the handlebars with that stuff they use for car roofracks. Couldn't stand, couldn't change gears. Main problem was the other wrist was very severely sprained so I couldn't brake very well either. Definitely couldn't race though with the cast on.