• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

How many more GT's will Contador win?

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

How many more GT's will Contador win?

• More than 6 (vino level)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
"I dont see any more promising in this upcoming generation than those from the previous" You are absolutely wrong. And its simply. Search a generation (arc of time of four years) of this decade with promising guys that have showed at 21, 22 or 23 years the same of the future GT riders of the 88-91 (Van Garderen, Pinot, Dombrowski, Quintana, Talansky, Kelderman, Aru and the colombians) Good luck. So this is the most promising generation of the decade and not only because of the GT riders, if i tell you Sagan, Moser, Phinney, Van Marcke or Degenkolb yo will know what i am talking about. So this guys will success or not, but as i say is the most promising generation of the last twelve years.

Originally Posted by airstream V
damn, you posted these pics 10 times as minimum. usual bruise and slight edema and little physiotherapy procedure. in principle little nothings of life. with similar injuries, andy was soaring over the cobbles in 2010
Slight ?!?!?!?!?!?!
LaFlorecita said:
Slight ?!?!?!?!?!?!

You mean getting dragged by FABU RIGHT???? While the yellow jersey had 3 punctures and Alberto was Held up by Frank's crash and a flat tire? That stage right?

Jason_Mercier said:
First you are talking about different generations. Second, Thibaut Pinot, Nairo Quintana and Tejay Van Garderen have demonstrated much more things than Antòn or Gesink in the past. Robert Gesink never demonstrated the climb abilities that Thibaut Pinot showed in this TDF. NEVER. Only good positions. But never was the strongest in mountain stages of a GT, never won a stage in his first GT or with 22 years in any of the three 3week races. Also Pinot is the youngest guy ever who has won the Giro Valle D'Aosta. At the age of Pinot Robert Gesink didnt have the number of victories and exhibitions of the french guy. Quintana, the same of Pinot, Robert Gesink never demonstrated performances like the colombian has made in Dauphiné, Route du Sud, Murcia or Lagos at his age. NEVER. Robert Gesink never was one of the three strongest riders in his terrain, Van Garderen showed this in the itt of the last TDF. And i said Gesink, the most promising rider of those you have mentioned. Of course some guys wont succes but Quintana, Pinot, Van Garderen and one or two more guys like Kelderman, Talansky or Dombrowski will be serious opponents for Alberto if doesnt occur anything strange.

Anton was on his way to winning the Vuelta when he crashed out of it in 2010. I used DiGregorio because he was one of the many French hopefuls that failed to live up to the hype. I'm a firm believer that Pinot will become a great rider but nothing is for certain. I wish him the best. Gesink was contending for the Vuelta in 2009 before he too crashed and spoiled his chances. That has been the story of his career. Who is to say what could've been if he had been able to avoid his intimacy with the tarmac? And a 6th place at the Tour at age 24 is insignificant? I too am quite high on Quintana so don't get me wrong that I am discounting what he's shown but I was and still am similarly high on Anton, have a soft spot for him and hope that he regains the form that almost won him the Vuelta. He is still a talented rider, one that can podium at Fleche Wallone on his best day.

I find it strange that you toss Dombrowski in there as if what he has accomplished or the potential that he's shown is anymore impressive or guarantees that he'll be able to make the jump to the elite level and challenge Contador.

You know Airstream,there is a disturbing trend here my friend.You are almost too willing to disparage AC.Far better to say "look folks,i just dont like this guy" than propagate silly arguments,or even better to say "look i dont like him but i acknowledge a true campionissimo,a rider with proper class" rather than to resort to silly stuff.A good way to judge an athlete in any discipline is to listen to his contemporaries,they all without exception acknowledge this man's pedigree.You say Contador's titles wont matter at the starting gun in Corsica,fair enough but when all is said and done its titles that matter.End of story.

Oh and to qualify an earlier erroneous post,its a complete fabrication for me to say Froome has only won the Anatomic Jock Race,i checked last night,he also won stages 2 and 3 of the Tour of Mauritius in 2006,so credit where credit's due.:)

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
what rambling? there was the poll in july. most people voted that they cooked up that knee. rambling is to serve 10 minutes as though that's an objective difference between contador and froome in equal conditions.

disparaging? i'm just trying to balance your crazy support with objective facts. probably you even don't notice how you disparage others say froome. i didn't misinterpret the facts so you can't accuse me of saying anything wrong

Contador will never win another grand tour. :rolleyes:

It's hard to say. With Evans, and the older riders heading into the west, Schleck inactive. I have doubts that Valverde and Rodriguez will ever get that close to beating Contador again even though I would like to see Rodriguez win a grand tour. At this stage I think only Sky have a possibility of beating Contador in the next Tour. Of course the route will matter a lot. Can't see Rolland and younger riders inproving enough to beat him. Contador will be expected to win the next Tour but what comes after could be more interesting as far as opponents go. There will always be someone coming through the ranks to challenge the best but as far as next year's Tour goes it's hard to see who. The only possibility could be Froome if he can get a route to suit him and he can replicate the form he had in July this year. I will say three more grand tours for Contador but of course it's only a calculated guess.

airstream said:
what rambling? there was the poll in july. most people voted that they cooked up that knee. rambling is to serve 10 minutes as though that's an objective difference between contador and froome in equal conditions.

disparaging? i'm just trying to balance your crazy support with objective facts. probably you even don't notice how you disparage others say froome. i didn't misinterpret the facts so you can't accuse me of saying anything wrong

Atleast you edited the part about my crazy support for velasco which was lolastic

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
Angliru said:
I find it strange that you toss Dombrowski in there as if what he has accomplished or the potential that he's shown is anymore impressive or guarantees that he'll be able to make the jump to the elite level and challenge Contador.

Dombrowski is the best american climber talent since Andrew Hampsten. With 21 years is riding in professionals because the u23 categorie isnt enough for him. This "overrated" guy destroyed the best italian promise of the last years in the Giro Bio. He won the two mountain stages and did an exhibition in the Passo Gavia stage. An incredible superiority. People never had seen a dominance like this in Valle D' Aosta. In his first year riding professional races Joe has been the best young rider in Gila, Utah and Colorado. Also the best in the queen stage of California. Better than guys of 23 or 24 years. At Leipheimer, Horner or Van Garderen level, in all the races he has participated he always has been in the chasing group in his terrain, the high mountain. His season is one of the bests debuts of the last years in the professional categorie. Did you see him in the stage of Mount Baldy in California? Did you see him in the Boulder stage of Colorado? He's 21 years. What is doing this guy is historic.

Jason_Mercier said:
Dombrowski is the best american climber talent since Andrew Hampsten. With 21 years is riding in professionals because the u23 categorie isnt enough for him. This "overrated" guy destroyed the best italian promise of the last years in the Giro Bio. He won the two mountain stages and did an exhibition in the Passo Gavia stage. An incredible superiority. People never had seen a dominance like this in Valle D' Aosta. In his first year riding professional races Joe has been the best young rider in Gila, Utah and Colorado. Also the best in the queen stage of California. Better than guys of 23 or 24 years. At Leipheimer, Horner or Van Garderen level, in all the races he has participated he always has been in the chasing group in his terrain, the high mountain. His season is one of the bests debuts of the last years in the professional categorie. Did you see him in the stage of Mount Baldy in California? Did you see him in the Boulder stage of Colorado? He's 21 years. What is doing this guy is historic.

Have not heard about this guy. I mean I was paying attention to the name riders obviously, but have not seen much racing from the USA this year. Obviously has a lot of potential. Which team does he ride for ?

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
He's on the Bontranger Livestrong. The u23 team of Radioshack which has been invited for professional races like TOC or Tour of Utah. Joe probaby will sign for a WT.

Jul 3, 2009
Visit site
glassmoon said:
i voted 3.
but question is how many will he keep :D

Nice one!

I vote for two, considering:
- He managed to win 5 GTs (face it) up to this day, which IS impressive.
- Including one really dominant Vuelta (his first) and one Tour which he absolutely dominated (2009)

but also including
- one Tour (2007) he would not have won without Rabobank pulling out the Chicken (and which he almost lost at the very end to Evans).
- Including one Giro which he won in an extremly intelligent way (2008) just like he did in this year's Vuelta when he was only the second best climber by far.

Unlike in 2009, today there are several people who have proven that they can constantly beat him in the mountains (Rodriguez, A. Schleck, on a good day Valverde, in the future maybe guys like Rolland), are likely to be able to do so (Froome in Tour-form) and/or might even be stronger than him in the ITTs (Froome, Wiggins).

On the other hand, it is not sure yet if A. Schleck will ever be back to his old self and guys like Evans may well be beyond their prime.

Taking into account that AC does not appear to become as strong in the mountains and the ITT again as he used to be back in 2009, I see good chances for several exciting GTs in the next few years...

SiAp1984 said:
Nice one!

I vote for two, considering:
- He managed to win 5 GTs (face it) up to this day, which IS impressive.
- Including one really dominant Vuelta (his first) and one Tour which he absolutely dominated (2009)

but also including
- one Tour (2007) he would not have won without Rabobank pulling out the Chicken (and which he almost lost at the very end to Evans).
- Including one Giro which he won in an extremly intelligent way (2008) just like he did in this year's Vuelta when he was only the second best climber by far.

Unlike in 2009, today there are several people who have proven that they can constantly beat him in the mountains (Rodriguez, A. Schleck, on a good day Valverde, in the future maybe guys like Rolland), are likely to be able to do so (Froome in Tour-form) and/or might even be stronger than him in the ITTs (Froome, Wiggins).

On the other hand, it is not sure yet if A. Schleck will ever be back to his old self and guys like Evans may well be beyond their prime.

Taking into account that AC does not appear to become as strong in the mountains and the ITT again as he used to be back in 2009, I see good chances for several exciting GTs in the next few years...

Your argument is invalid. Maybe officially Alberto won 5 GTs but we all know he won 7 GTs so we can take those into account as well. And face it. He absolutely dominated the 2011 Giro.

By the way when has Andy showed he can constantly beat Alberto in the mountains :rolleyes:

TRENDING THREADS