• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

How many more GT's will Contador win?

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

How many more GT's will Contador win?

• More than 6 (vino level)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
burning said:
Anton is good on insane steep climbs(The only thing he can do for a while :D) even though he is simply horrible since his crash on Vuelta :eek:
And I doubt that he rode slowly just to have fun with Nibali, as next day on Gardeccia, he lost ground to Scarponi on final 1km, it is not like he was putting minutes on everyone on Gardeccia

The theory is he didnt ride hard to catch Anton because he was happy seeing Anton take the win. Going for the stage win would of course take a lot of effort and cause even greater pain.

Contador said for example after Bola that he rode within his limits because he knew he was safe with the 2 minutes gap. If youve got a big gc lead you dont need to crush it up every mountain.

El Pistolero said:
Hitch clearly didn't watch the Vuelta last year if the thinks Marzio Bruseghin had a weak Vuelta.

I said the breakaway was weak. If your brain slowed down to read posts before posting crazy things, you wouldnt be seeing half the forum trying to find new mixes of "El Pistoloro" and "troll"

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, a breakaway that included Bruseghin as his biggest rival. So you basically called Bruseghin weak just because you looked at his age. ;) If you weren't so obsessed with personal insults some threads might not derail all the time.

The Hitch said:
Yeah, thats 1 example, we are going to need a bit more than that to justify the posts above which act as if its a regular occurence. Maybe Contador really was just outsprinted by Rujano on Grossglockner and couldnt hold Tiralongos wheel on macanuga.

That was 1 example, i want to see 10 others or some comments being retracted.

As for Zoncolan Contador put minutes into everyone at will on the previous mountain stages, and rode away from everyone for kicks and gigles on the next 2, as well as winning the mountain tt by half a minute having been 30 down at the bottom of the climb.

I know some of you are such big Anton fans that you take it personally, but honestly you find it that ridiculous to suggest Contador, especially on his Giro 2011 from, could not have kept up with Anton on Zoncolan?

And if you want to cry that anyone who reached that conclusion is some blind biased Contador fan, i will respond by suggesting that the reason yall cling so tight to this notion that fuji outclimbed Contador on 1 gt stage, might be because that, and dropping old man Marzio from a weak *** breakaway 3 months later, are the most recent memories of his talent that yall are left with.

I don't take anything personal in sports anymore, I've learned from past mistakes, don't worry about that. However, when Anton is in top form, he can beat anyone uphill. He proved it in the whole of 2010, when he beat Contador in Castilla y Leon, on the day before the Amstel Gold Race if I remember correctly. Also, Anton has proven to be, as another poster already argues, extremely good on steep slopes. So good, that he can do well on them even when he is out of form. A prime example of this is the Angliru in the 2011 Vuelta, where he came home 6th, even though the rest of his Vuelta was terrible. This year he proved it as well, he was not in brilliant form, but clearly the weakest in not so steep climbs such as the Valde... climb in the first week.

Combine that with Contador trying to gap Nibali in the last kilometer on the Zoncolan and failing to succeed (well, a few seconds) and not gaining time on Anton in that kilometer even though he attacked, I think it is justified to say Anton was simply better that day.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
“I knew it would be a complicated finale with three other riders. I was thinking at one point of attacking on my own, but there was a lot of wind,” Contador said. “In the end, I preferred to ride a little more conservative and think about tomorrow.”

Vuelta Castilla y Leon 2010

;)

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
The Hitch said:
I know some of you are such big Anton fans that you take it personally, but honestly you find it that ridiculous to suggest Contador, especially on his Giro 2011 from, could not have kept up with Anton on Zoncolan?
No matter how one's form is perfect, one can not be super during all 6-8 main mountain days. it's unreal physically. very likely, anton prepared himself for that stage specially, conserved energy, so no wonder he beat contador. no that it would be totally impossible, but for what? to win zonc at the expense of incredible effort and on the next day to be dropped by scarponi? it's impractical and, of course, reputation is more important.

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
Giro-Tour combo is also harder than the Tour-Vuelta combo. That year's Giro was also one of the hardest modern Giro's.
maybe, but this year it wasn't so. this year vuelta was the hardest for many many years for sure. i even think that only 3 gts were harder than this vuelta: 2002 tour, 2006 giro and 2011 giro for the last 15 years at least.

airstream said:
maybe, but this year it wasn't so. this year vuelta was the hardest for many many years for sure. i even think that only 3 gts were harder than this vuelta: 2002 tour, 2006 giro and 2011 giro for the last 15 years at least.
Seriously? IMO this year's Vuelta is overrated regarding toughness. How long was the longest mountain stage? I guess it's something like 185 km..

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Netserk said:
Seriously? IMO this year's Vuelta is overrated regarding toughness. How long was the longest mountain stage? I guess it's something like 185 km..

it's a trend. since recently stages get only shorter. :) finish climbs were very demanding

Netserk said:

high average speed

the favourites had to use lots of energy in at least 10 stages.

overall,super hard vuelta for the contenders,probably one of the hardest in last years.

Netserk said:
yes. One of the hardest Vueltas. But it is still no way as hard as the Giros. IMO

it depends on how hard the giro's were ridden
the speed there on the climbs was lower but the stages were way harder indeed.
you could really compare them only if you had ridden both of them,we got to ask purito

next year's grand tours will certainly be harder now when other teams will step up to confront sky,especially saxo

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
jens_attacks said:
you could really compare them only if you had ridden both of them,we got to ask purito

next year's grand tours will certainly be harder now when other teams will step up to confront sky,especially saxo

One other difference is that the Giro usually have 2-3 long a-s-s stages around 240k.

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
jens_attacks said:

i think no one can compare this cos most of the things depend on a rider's and his opponents' form rather than parcours. very strong rivals can arrange hell even on relatively soft parcours. from this viewpoint the 2012 giro is hard to rate. not that they couldn't go faster. more likely the fight was bloody closed and temporizing.

The Hitch said:
Contador said for example after Bola that he rode within his limits because he knew he was safe with the 2 minutes gap. If youve got a big gc lead you dont need to crush it up every mountain.
obvious bluff. he will never let principal rivals go just like that because of pride and conceit. psychological edge is a big deal in such big games. perhaps, that's the main rule of super elite gc riders - ' never show any weakness, no way'. i didn't quite get the last sentence. tens of thousands came to bola to like how the man from pinto trying to win the stage, but he didn't want 'to crush himself upon the mountain'? it's a bit illogical and insincere, put it mildly.

TRENDING THREADS