• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

How to be a spectator?

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
I have followed road racing for many years and have spent many a long hour stood at the roadside waiting for the world's finest athletes to wizz by. Wincanton, Brighton, Leeds classics, Milk Race, Pru Tour, Tour of Britain, Paris Roubaix and more TdF's than my bank balance can bear, and every single time it has been a nightmare (even in the age of the internet) to find out where and when to be at the side of the road.

As chance would have it we'll not be far from Cuneo when the Giro TTT finishes there next month but how do I find a race schedule? I'm not fussed by what language it's in, but yet again I have to guess the schedule. I thought I might find it on my faithful CN but a route profile isn't really much use to a spectator.

Can anyone give me the inside track? Or better still can race organisers make it a little easier for folks to find out route timings more than a week in advance and in some way other than via a local newspaper?

See you somewhere in Cuneo in May.

Reg

Reg,

For the TTT you are looking at a start time of about 12.30pm and an end time of 5pm. Thats normally the case for the Giro in mid race time trials. But the full schedule will be out closer to the time and if you check the Giro website you will get the race schedule in full for the stage.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Actually because it is a Team Time Trial expect it to be a late start - these were the start times for the TTTlast year, which didn't get underway until 15:35!!
As its a longer TTT this year it may begin a small bit earlier.

Unfortunatley I don't think you will get an official depart time until just days before the event.

You may have this already, but here is the link to the Giro 2010 site and for the TTT here is the route map and here is theprofile.

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
get a shirt from a supports club. You can also get drinks,food,lodging and trim from these people. Bring spray paint and a fever to support a rider and you are set. Find a club and be the craziest supporter. Great people better times

Dr. Maserati said:
Actually because it is a Team Time Trial expect it to be a late start - these were the start times for the TTTlast year, which didn't get underway until 15:35!!
As its a longer TTT this year it may begin a small bit earlier.

Unfortunatley I don't think you will get an official depart time until just days before the event.

You may have this already, but here is the link to the Giro 2010 site and for the TTT here is the route map and here is theprofile.

I was thinking about that Dr. M, however as the TTT is not the opening stage this year plus its longer and pretty much all uphill, then it will start earlier with the roads closing earlier too hence my earlier start time in case Reg wants to see any of the warm ups around the stage start even ride part of the stage.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
reg tubby said:
I have followed road racing for many years and have spent many a long hour stood at the roadside waiting for the world's finest athletes to wizz by. Wincanton, Brighton, Leeds classics, Milk Race, Pru Tour, Tour of Britain, Paris Roubaix and more TdF's than my bank balance can bear, and every single time it has been a nightmare (even in the age of the internet) to find out where and when to be at the side of the road.

As chance would have it we'll not be far from Cuneo when the Giro TTT finishes there next month but how do I find a race schedule? I'm not fussed by what language it's in, but yet again I have to guess the schedule. I thought I might find it on my faithful CN but a route profile isn't really much use to a spectator.

Can anyone give me the inside track? Or better still can race organisers make it a little easier for folks to find out route timings more than a week in advance and in some way other than via a local newspaper?

See you somewhere in Cuneo in May.

Reg
Reg,

Hope you give us an update on how your day goes today. Enjoy, it should be fun!

TRENDING THREADS