• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

How to co-exist with a LA fanboy??

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Oldman said:
I have fellow teammates that fund-raise for the LA Foundation. They are nice guys, hire CTS coaching and train really hard. I said they were nice guys, didn't I? I've avoided conversation with them about LA or our own local melodramas. It's cowardly but I just want to ride so I'd like any suggestions as well.

Bah, why is it cowardly?

Would you really not be friends with someone simply because they liked LA despite all their other good qualities? If you ask me, that's a large part of what's wrong with our society today. This sort of opinion jihad against others who disagree.

Live and let live. If they ask you what you think, state the facts as you know them and your opinion of the facts and that's about all you can do. Besides, it's not as if LA fans are somehow evil people seeking to hard others. Bike racing is just a sport and of NO REAL CONSEQUENCE AT ALL.

richwagmn said:
Bah, why is it cowardly?

Would you really not be friends with someone simply because they liked LA despite all their other good qualities? If you ask me, that's a large part of what's wrong with our society today. This sort of opinion jihad against others who disagree.

I suppose there were those who knew that Bernie Madoff was a crook, or at least strongly suspected it, and kept their mouths shut because they did not want to upset people. Allow a fraud to continue unopposed and you are part of the problem.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
I suppose there were those who knew that Bernie Madoff was a crook, or at least strongly suspected it, and kept their mouths shut because they did not want to upset people. Allow a fraud to continue unopposed and you are part of the problem.

No BroDeal, I'm not part of the problem. Unlike you, I don't feel the need to make sure the rest of the world agrees with me about Lance. If I was asked, I'd tell them what I know/believe. (You've read me here long enough to know what I think of LA). Hopefully, that'd pique their interest. But I wouldn't make it my mission to have them agree with me. I just don't feel the need to waste my time convincing someone that LA cheated at a sport because, in my opinion, sport is of no real consequence in the real world. It's entertainment.

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
Oldman said:
I have fellow teammates that fund-raise for the LA Foundation. They are nice guys, hire CTS coaching and train really hard. I said they were nice guys, didn't I? I've avoided conversation with them about LA or our own local melodramas. It's cowardly but I just want to ride so I'd like any suggestions as well.

I made the mistake of wearing a Livestrong shirt to the local bike shop and invoked the wrath of my favorite mechanic. He didn't realize I liked him, and I didn't realize he loathed him. We got into a bit of a debate for a few minutes (first time I heard the word "uniballer"), but that was it. We never really mentioned his name after that. Instead we opted to talk about other racers we like, and being an old school racer, he taught me much of the sports history.

What I'm saying is if it bothers you so much that you feel an an argument is inevitable, do so respectfully and move on. Find some common ground and don't talk about Lance.

A

Anonymous

Uumm... get over yourself and agree to disagree. It's not much different than having co-workers that have differring political views. We can discuss it but we don't let it get out of control. They can say their peace and I can say mine and we leave it at that, as respectful adults tend to do. And really, just because they don't believe what I do doesn't mean they are bad people. Aside from their opposing beliefs I really like them on a personal level.

Your mistake is trying to force him to believe what you do. You can only give him materials to read to understand your POV. If he doesn't care to read it then that's on him. But to go beyond that and feel you have to argue about it is just obsessive on your part. The same goes for him if he's trying to force feed you. Respectfully decline his invitation into an argument and walk away.

He believes what he believes and you believe what you believe. Be happy for your sister if she is truly happy with him. Everyone has faults. But if you let it bother you that much then that's your fault.

Hope that helps. :)

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
richwagmn said:
Bah, why is it cowardly?

Live and let live. If they ask you what you think, state the facts as you know them and your opinion of the facts and that's about all you can do. Besides, it's not as if LA fans are somehow evil people seeking to hard others. Bike racing is just a sport and of NO REAL CONSEQUENCE AT ALL.

Thanks. I've never been an absolutist since you can't know everything. I've just avoided the pressure to participate in their fund raising activities and take the (now) annual pilgramage to Austrailia to meet with LA.

ravens

BANNED
Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
ImmaculateKadence said:
I made the mistake of wearing a Livestrong shirt to the local bike shop and invoked the wrath of my favorite mechanic. He didn't realize I liked him, and I didn't realize he loathed him. We got into a bit of a debate for a few minutes (first time I heard the word "uniballer"), but that was it. We never really mentioned his name after that. Instead we opted to talk about other racers we like, and being an old school racer, he taught me much of the sports history.

What I'm saying is if it bothers you so much that you feel an an argument is inevitable, do so respectfully and move on. Find some common ground and don't talk about Lance.

I was at the grocery store last week and this smoking hot young woman was in the aisle bending over, wearing a pair of black warmup pants with the bright yellow livestrong stripe up the seam. I was so focused on her wonderful assets I almost bumped her over with my cart.

I would never have struck up a anti-Lance rant with her, but it would have been better than what I DID say. Which was...nothing.

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
ravens said:
I was at the grocery store last week and this smoking hot young woman was in the aisle bending over, wearing a pair of black warmup pants with the bright yellow livestrong stripe up the seam. I was so focused on her wonderful assets I almost bumped her over with my cart.

I would never have struck up a anti-Lance rant with her, but it would have been better than what I DID say. Which was...nothing.

Sounds all too familiar...This beatiful brunette at the gym made a comment about the race T-shirt I was wearing, pretty much just answered her question and moved on. Made no attempt to engage a conversation. :eek:

ravens

BANNED
Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
ImmaculateKadence said:
Sounds all too familiar...This beatiful brunette at the gym made a comment about the race T-shirt I was wearing, pretty much just answered her question and moved on. Made no attempt to engage a conversation. :eek:

We sound like the 2 guys from SNL' The Girl Watchers, circa 1988 ,

I know the mods hate this, but it's too good not to paste the script.

The ONLY piece of good news is our social ineptitudes is a fate shared by many millions, perhaps billions.

Girl Watcher #1: Oh, yeah!

Girl Watcher #2: Yes, indeed!

Girl Watcher #1: 10th Year Reunion, a babe opportunity I've long awaited!

Girl Watcher #2: Oh, yes.. 106 ladies in their prime, and we've got a ringside seat!

Girl Watcher #1: You know it, my friend! The entrance to the ladies room is a perfect base of op-er-ation!

Girl Watcher #2: Well, well! [ points at woman approaching ]

Girl Watcher #1: Need I say more? Hel-lo! [ the woman walks past without even blinking ] ..and goodbye.

Girl Watcher #2: Oh, yes.

Girl Watcher #1: She saw nothingof value in me!

Girl Watcher #2: Just like old times!

[ they high-five ]

Girl Watcher #1: Yes, we were almost as unpopular then as we are now!

Girl Watcher #2: I hear you. Only now, we're older and uglier.

Girl Watcher #1: Yes, I seem to remember I was quite the non-entity!

Girl Watcher #2: And I was a pretty fair social leper myself!

Girl Watcher #1: [ spots woman walking out of the ladies room ] Your attention, please!

Girl Watcher #2: Bonjour!

[ she keeps walking ]

Girl Watcher #1: Oh, yeah!

Girl Watcher #2: Didn't even break stride!

Girl Watcher #1: Her standards are not low enough.

Girl Watcher #2: No way. [ they high-five ] She caught the shine on my forehead, and just kept on truckin'.

Girl Watcher #1: I was there all along, backing you up with my big ol' head!

Girl Watcher #2: Mmm-hmm.

Together: [ spotting another woman ] Whoa!

Girl Watcher #1: It's Tracy Moore, the first girl ever to turn me down.
Girl Watcher #2: You never forget your first.

Girl Watcher #1: Yeah! I'll bet my life she doesn't remember us.

Girl Watcher #2: I'll see your life, and raise you my eternal soul!

Girl Watcher #1: O-kay! [ woman approaches them ] Howdy-do! [ she keeps walking ] ..and Howdy-don't!

Girl Watcher #2: Oh, yeah

Girl Watcher #1: I still haven't got it!

Girl Watcher #2: Me, neither. Mmm-mmm.. [ spots another woman ] Yow! Jessica Chase!

Girl Watcher #1: A girl I've never even spoken to.

Girl Watcher #2: She's a practicing lawyer, and we're still living at home.

Girl Watcher #1: I don't like our chances.

Girl Watcher #2: [ as she walks past ] It's been a while.. [ she keeps walking ] ..and it'll be a while.

Girl Watcher #1: Our bodies are starting to deteriorate, and it's only going to get worse.

Girl Watcher #2: Down we go!

[ they low-five ]

Andy: [ walking up, with a woman by his side ] Hey, fellas.

Girl Watcher #2: Hey, Andy!

Girl Watcher #1: Andy!

Girl Watcher #2: Where'd you get the girl?

Andy: Whoa, down, gentlemen! No cause for celebration. In addition to her bad looks, she's hard of hearing, emotionally unstable, and not the clean one.

Girl Watcher #1: Does she have a sister?

Andy: Trust me, fellas, there's no reason for envy.

Girl Watcher #2: No matter. You're still the luckiest guy we know, who'll talk to us.

[ Andy walks off ]

Girl Watcher #1: Oh, yes. We've sunk pretty far. And our descent continues. How I dread our future.

Girl Watcher #2: Mmm-hmm.

[ a woman walks up ]

Girl Watcher #1: Buenos dias!

[ she keeps walking ]

Together: ..and Buenos noches!

[ they high-five once more ]

Sadly I bear more of a resemblance to Lovitz than Hanks.

1990-02-17-14.jpg

A

Anonymous

This one made me laugh! I guess you could feel abit lucky that he has any idea of cycling compared to most brother- in- laws who think you're a *** for wearing spandex and love yelling "get 'er done" after two miller lites...But I would work on your sister and convince HER what a scumbag armstrong is...tell her about his love life...she will do a good job on him and you can sit back and wait! At that point, you can go right for the throat and line up pics of all of Lance's ex wives and girlfriends and then toss down a pic of his mother and ask him "what gives here pseudo-bro?..."

In other words, play dirty...;)

ravens

BANNED
Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
ImmaculateKadence said:
I haven't seen that in years. Man it's so much funnier when you can hear their pitiful attempt at sounding suave.

You can't have comedy without an element of truth. I consider that skit to be my high school biography. Like I said earlier, I think I have lots of company.

May 7, 2009
Visit site
LOL at the SNL skit, but back on topic....
My brother actualy HAS cancer :( and the whole Livestrong thing inspires him. I try to skate around the issue becouse ultimately it does not matter if he "knows the truth" or anything like that. If it gives him something to believe in, than that's fine by me (sort of).

It's kind of like religion, If you know someone you otherwise get along great with but they are at the opposite end of that spectrum, best to avoid the subject.
People have a history of lashing out at the bearers of bad news. Look at what the Catholic church did to Galileo...

Lance in the mainstream media seems totaly unstopable right now... No, I don't think that's a good thing. But Who's going to "out" him and who will listen? Or a better question: who in the mainstream?

Sep 18, 2009
Visit site
LA hating is just a vehicle for YOUR issues?

Race Radio said:
He wasn't clean

http://nyvelocity.com/content/interviews/2009/michael-ashenden

The blind are not those that question the myth but those that follow it without question.

The blind are those who absolutely believe...I don't believe you,LA, asshendon or anyone...

We in plonker-land can never know the truth- sure maybe he did or did not dope... but that is a side issue for us.

Why is your belief so stringent in something so irrelevant... are you in need of a vehicle for your angst and dissillusionment?

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Ferdinand Artichoke said:
The blind are those who absolutely believe...I don't believe you,LA, asshendon or anyone...

We in plonker-land can never know the truth- sure maybe he did or did not dope... but that is a side issue for us.

Why is your belief so stringent in something so irrelevant... are you in need of a vehicle for your angst and dissillusionment?

You don't believe Betsy, Frankie, Swart, Emma, Mike Anderson, etc?

My belief is based on overwhelming evidence of guilt yours is based on an unsupportable myth.

Sep 18, 2009
Visit site
hmmm

Ferdinand Artichoke said:

not that I disbelieve Assendon... but those samples could have been doctored... Lance could be the Messiah getting framed by the evil forces that want to defile the inspirational saviour of cancer - ness?

I dunno what the big deal about cancer is... I mean it's a bit like being a holocaust denier to suggest that it's just another form of death... I mean... we all die of something.

When they solve cancer they'll be moralising and sentimentalising about ...
old age?
I can imagine the future:
"oh,.. such a tragedy... taken by old age at only 67. Thank goodness we have such an inspirational and emblemic champion of anti aging in the sportsman Warwick Felcher- who came back from near tragedy (caused by old age) and won the world ping pong champs 7 times with much courage"

Sep 18, 2009
Visit site
why do you need to know?

Hugh Januss said:
!.....................

Edit: The above is not an actual quote, it is a joke quote.

so your fetishising of 'which-ever' lycra wearing, veiny leg shaving can be safely bedded in the olympic spirit!

ok I think he doped.... you'd gotta be deluded to think otherwise... but maybe he didn't... and either way he IS THE PHENOMENA

not sure if that makes cycling better or worse though... I think i liked it better when it was niche- But now I have more *****RS to smash at Heffron!