• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

How to educate drivers about cyclists

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
I've just returned from a 2 week stay in the French part of Switzerland where I pedaled my a** off. While the bike lanes there are plentiful and as perfect as all the roads, I was often up in mountains where there were no bike lanes. In fact, I was just all over the place. NEVER, not once, not ever, in 2 weeks and close to 1000km did anyone ever honk at me or do anything that was in the least threatening. I rode through hearts of cities, towns and villages and. never once was I accosted in any way whatsoever. Imagine a 10 min. descent at around 80kph with a Maserati right behind you. He could've past me at several points but chose not to endanger either of us. He actually gave me a big thumbs ups at t6he bottom of the hill when he finally did pass me!
And then I came back to NYC...
Immediately I was being honked at from 3 blocks back just to make sure I knew they were there...
4 days back and some jerk decides he can't wait another second in traffic so he pulls into the bike lane as I'm passing him and rams me into the curb.
10 minutes later, i'm almost taken out by a runner in the westside bike path.
Why do we have to put up with this crap?

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
grumpyphil said:
I've just returned from a 2 week stay in the French part of Switzerland where... did anyone ever honk at me or do anything that was in the least threatening.
First off, Switzerland has an almost disturbingly polite culture.

Second, and more importantly, your comparing Switzerland to NYC??? Anywhere is more hospitible than NYC!

Imagine a 10 min. descent at around 80kph with a Maserati right behind you. He could've past me at several points but chose not to endanger either of us. He actually gave me a big thumbs ups at t6he bottom of the hill when he finally did pass me!
More times than I can count on all my digits, I have "raced" cars down hills. With very, very few exceptions, the motorist behind (usually passed, because I wanted a fuller field of view) decided that I was maintaining speeds that s/he did not want to surpass. Several times, the motorist respectfully rolled past at the bottom of the hill with window down to let me know just how fast I was going. Thumbs up all around!

Then again, I dont ride in NY

Sep 22, 2009
Visit site
Same experience here. Spent 3 weeks last year in Italy and over into France - the drivers were awesome, so respectful and considerate. Even london traffic where i lived for the year was cool with cyclists, which was totally unexpected. Now I'm back in Oz, and sometimes being a cyclist is not so pleasant.

The best way to educate motorists is one at a time, on the road, in real time.

Be aware of your surroundings. Let them know you know they are there. Be friendly, polite and conscientious, but be assertive with your rights, and clear with your intentions. If they're confused about what you're doing, consider it your responsibility to straighten them out. Who's the expert on bicycling in traffic... you or some stranger?

Get yourself a copy of Cyclecraft, read it, study it, learn to ride the way John Franklin recommends, and the jerks will miraculously practically disappear.

I dare someone to read the book, adopt the riding for a few a months, and tell me it isn't so.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
grumpyphil said:
I've just returned from a 2 week stay in the French part of Switzerland where I pedaled my a** off. While the bike lanes there are plentiful and as perfect as all the roads, I was often up in mountains where there were no bike lanes. In fact, I was just all over the place. NEVER, not once, not ever, in 2 weeks and close to 1000km did anyone ever honk at me or do anything that was in the least threatening. I rode through hearts of cities, towns and villages and. never once was I accosted in any way whatsoever. Imagine a 10 min. descent at around 80kph with a Maserati right behind you. He could've past me at several points but chose not to endanger either of us. He actually gave me a big thumbs ups at t6he bottom of the hill when he finally did pass me!
And then I came back to NYC...
Immediately I was being honked at from 3 blocks back just to make sure I knew they were there...
4 days back and some jerk decides he can't wait another second in traffic so he pulls into the bike lane as I'm passing him and rams me into the curb.
10 minutes later, i'm almost taken out by a runner in the westside bike path.
Why do we have to put up with this crap?

Number of people per square mile might have something to do with it - on top of that you are in NYC.

David Suro said:
Educating drivers in America cannot be done. Best to play defense.

This is especially true here in San Diego where there is this weird practice of riding a bicycle against traffic (Yes, they actually ride on the streets into approaching traffic), crossing four lane roads without signaling or looking, and no hipster college dude on a single speed EVER has to stop at a stop sign. IT"S THE LAW, right? I think it's a new population control program here or something. Then, when there is an accident, and as you can figure there are a lot of them, the flame throwers here in San Diego, point to these quaint practices as proof cyclists cause accidents. Yes, defensive cycling is the best practice.

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
Sounds strange but I thinks it's because most people don't know any cyclists, they consider the whole human powered 2 wheeled thing to be done by people on the fringe. Not many people get beer or groceries on a bicycle in the US. Fixed gears here in NYC have created a group of cyclists I want to see honked at. I remember deciding if inside or outside of Torrey Pines suited me but even when I was at the far right if the road people would honk. Inside always better. Bicycling organizations should sponsor a page or two in the drivers handbook, when you see a cyclist pass him with no less than 3 feet clearance, kind of statements. NJ,NY and PA have all kinds of share the road signs up and people are generally pretty nice. City people are...well are just #$%ked up. If avid cyclists keep letting fixed gear people set the tone we are all f*&$ed. They are giving tickets all over NYC not from regular rider but as a result of some rebel loosers without brakes or brains.

fatandfast said:
Sounds strange but I thinks it's because most people don't know any cyclists, they consider the whole human powered 2 wheeled thing to be done by people on the fringe. Not many people get beer or groceries on a bicycle in the US. Fixed gears here in NYC have created a group of cyclists I want to see honked at. I remember deciding if inside or outside of Torrey Pines suited me but even when I was at the far right if the road people would honk. Inside always better. Bicycling organizations should sponsor a page or two in the drivers handbook, when you see a cyclist pass him with no less than 3 feet clearance, kind of statements. NJ,NY and PA have all kinds of share the road signs up and people are generally pretty nice. City people are...well are just #$%ked up. If avid cyclists keep letting fixed gear people set the tone we are all f*&$ed. They are giving tickets all over NYC not from regular rider but as a result of some rebel loosers without brakes or brains.

I recall an article I believe in Bicycling Magazine about two years ago referencing two or three states who had included pages ion their driver training manuals drawing awareness to cyclists and the rules cyclists must observe and the rules motorisists must observe and they saw a huge decloine in the number of car to bicycle fatalities. I wanted to quote it here, but cannot find the exact reference yet; will add when I do.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
shawnrohrbach said:
This is especially true here in San Diego where there is this weird practice of riding a bicycle against traffic (Yes, they actually ride on the streets into approaching traffic), crossing four lane roads without signaling or looking, and no hipster college dude on a single speed EVER has to stop at a stop sign. IT"S THE LAW, right? I think it's a new population control program here or something. Then, when there is an accident, and as you can figure there are a lot of them, the flame throwers here in San Diego, point to these quaint practices as proof cyclists cause accidents. Yes, defensive cycling is the best practice.

I was just down there last week - in comparison to where I normally ride it was heaven. Bike lanes, mostly considerate drivers and decent weather.