• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

How will the Global Economic Collapse Effect the world of cycling?

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Primary transportation, finally?

As the whole fraudulent economic system “finally” comes unraveled and collapses before our very own eyes this year, e.g., Greece, followed by Spain, followed by Portugal, followed by Italy, throw in the UK somewhere in there, all of Europe, China, (soverign defaults around the world) etc., etc., etc., followed up by that country where the “Titans of Industry” (as the corrupt president of that country called the wall street criminal syndicate "super bookies", just the other day), with their insatiable appetite for stealing and hoarding every last penny from the pockets of the many while seemingly enjoying their collateral damage, what’s going to happen to our cycling world?

It’s become absolutely clear, for anybody with a smidgen of awareness, that our life-styles are in the process of transitioning from an era of “plenty” to one of “austerity,” as our picture postcard worlds are being methodically and dramatically dismantled in a very harsh manner (while the contagious dis-ease of DENIAL continues to run rampant). One who is not overshadowed by the multitude of mental disorders, e.g., the obsessive preoccupation with eating and entertainment while the collection agent is banging on the door, can not help but wonder “ What will happen to the many facets of cycling? Will my local bike shop tank or prosper while petrol hits record highs? How will I be able to afford those DT Swiss XRC 100 World Champion Race forks when I can’t even pay my rent? How can I milk more out of that credit card? How am I going to watch the Grand tours since my DirecTV hookup has been cut off? Will there even be a Grand Tour? What about local and regional racing? Will I be able to ride my bike to work while pockets of rioting are taking place through out my neighborhood? Will it be safe to even ride a bike when the (obese) masses are going through hyper withdrawals as they no longer have access to: “meds,” TV, fast-food, toys, internet, i-phones, texting, junk food, non-prescribed drugs, alcohol, and on and on and on. Lot’s of potential for bicycle carnage on the roads.

This “transition” period has the potential to become pretty bleak (and we're only talking about the global economy, not the catastrophic environment issues we face), and, in general, I’m an optimistic and fortunate kind’a guy. No debt. House paid for. Some pretty nice bikes. Off the Grid. Organic gardens. Some gold and silver, oops, digressing. Regardless, this is one massive mess that can’t be “bailed out.” Mathmatically impossible. IT’s the BIG ONE. Karma. Our whole relationship with cycling will be changing on every level. Even “Cycling News” won’t be immune.

Time to stock up on a case of tubes and tires?

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Gerald Celente is that you? Or is it Alex Jones (I didn't know you rode a bike). In all seriousness though, you speak the truth. I loved Gerald Celente's (The leading trends forecaster) segment on the Alex Jones show on the 7th May. Sounds like some scarey stuff ahead. He was saying that these economic collapses will in the near future lead to World War 3.

In the past the Tour was cancelled due to the war. So I guess we can expect that. You are very wise to be out of debt and off the grid. Your gold and silver will come in handy too. Especially when these bike manufactuers have to reduce the price of their goods because no one's buying them. Or will their be massive inflation, it's hard to tell. Either which way, if you are in debt, have no food storage or anything worth while to barter with, you have limited opportunities and basically will be a slave to the elite.

Cycling will be very low on most people's agenda during this time (Celente's predicting a economic collapse in 2010/2011). I think the threat of war and hunger will be on most people's mind. Like in Greece at the moment, they will take to the streets and martial law will result.

ttrider

BANNED
Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
Events like the vuelta wont suffer to the point its cancelled even if spain goes bankrupt finding sponsorship will just be very hard, the smaller tour with out tv coverage will go unless they have passionate support as volunteers may be the only option. Expect to see teams with smaller sponsors suffer SKY dont need to worry but smaller ones will really feel the pinch

Bikes will become cheaper as excess supply will occur as demand plummets im looking forward to an upgrade already, a lot of components must have massive profit margins (supernormal profits) these will surely be sacrificed

Contador and the top guys will see salaries rise but if your johnny nobody never winning just rolling through races it may be time to sign on

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Indurain said:
Gerald Celente is that you? Or is it Alex Jones (I didn't know you rode a bike). In all seriousness though, you speak the truth. I loved Gerald Celente's (The leading trends forecaster) segment on the Alex Jones show on the 7th May. Sounds like some scarey stuff ahead. He was saying that these economic collapses will in the near future lead to World War 3.

In the past the Tour was cancelled due to the war. So I guess we can expect that. You are very wise to be out of debt and off the grid. Your gold and silver will come in handy too. Especially when these bike manufactuers have to reduce the price of their goods because no one's buying them. Or will their be massive inflation, it's hard to tell. Either which way, if you are in debt, have no food storage or anything worth while to barter with, you have limited opportunities and basically will be a slave to the elite.

Cycling will be very low on most people's agenda during this time (Celente's predicting a economic collapse in 2010/2011). I think the threat of war and hunger will be on most people's mind. Like in Greece at the moment, they will take to the streets and martial law will result.

Yes, Indurain, we are both on the same page regarding Mr. Celente. And yes, I did hear him on Alex's show, i.e. "Titans of Industry" his words. Thanks for your clarity on the various subjects you addressed.

I'm surprised that this topic isn't the overall theme on this site and others, but then again, who wants to get bummed out? Denial is out there massively, but so is the desire to be positive in not-so-positive times.

In regards to War. I would have to say we ARE in WW3 right now. America, which I am a resident of, is creating terrorists on a global scale and is not the same country I felt positive thoughts for at one time. I can count the politicians that I care for ONLY on one hand. I have never seen so much entropy on this planet at any one time as I am observing right now. I'm planning on doing a few Mt. bike races this summer (one last hurrah?) and expecting that they may be my last (for some time). Hoping not, but not in denial, either.

There are so many "trip wires," all it's going to take is one so called "terrorist" to put an end to one of the major tours, if not all. Maybe Mossad has it on standby, already? Anyway, I just purchased another Mt. Bike as back up and have been getting some spare parts in case distribution becomes an issue.

So many aspects of cycling that support a sustainable life-style. In the long run, it can't help but continue to be a positive element that shapes our ability to transport ourselves.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Robert Merivel said:
Yes, Indurain, we are both on the same page regarding Mr. Celente. And yes, I did hear him on Alex's show, i.e. "Titans of Industry" his words. Thanks for your clarity on the various subjects you addressed.

I'm surprised that this topic isn't the overall theme on this site and others, but then again, who wants to get bummed out? Denial is out there massively, but so is the desire to be positive in not-so-positive times.

In regards to War. I would have to say we ARE in WW3 right now. America, which I am a resident of, is creating terrorists on a global scale and is not the same country I felt positive thoughts for at one time. I can count the politicians that I care for ONLY on one hand. I have never seen so much entropy on this planet at any one time as I am observing right now. I'm planning on doing a few Mt. bike races this summer (one last hurrah?) and expecting that they may be my last (for some time). Hoping not, but not in denial, either.

There are so many "trip wires," all it's going to take is one so called "terrorist" to put an end to one of the major tours, if not all. Maybe Mossad has it on standby, already? Anyway, I just purchased another Mt. Bike as back up and have been getting some spare parts in case distribution becomes an issue.

So many aspects of cycling that support a sustainable life-style. In the long run, it can't help but continue to be a positive element that shapes our ability to transport ourselves.

Hey Bob, I am a contractor and I can build you a bunker with venilation cheap. I will include a solar power unit and wire in your rollers to your computer for emergency blogging. I am already building a wall to keep out the illeagal penguins....

survivalist.jpg

survivalist3.jpg

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
flicker said:
Hey Bob, I am a contractor and I can build you a bunker with venilation cheap. I will include a solar power unit and wire in your rollers to your computer for emergency blogging. I am already building a wall to keep out the illeagal penguins....

Hey "flicker" thanks for the offer, but I was a general contractor some moons ago so I think I got that covered. Bunker? for what? Got lots of panels already which is quite wonderful. No electric bill in the mail every month! In fact, other than the internet bill, some store bought food, a few gallons of gas every once in a while, viola! all my money gets to go into bike stuff! Got some nice carbon and titanium frames. Carbon rims. One sub 19 pound full suspension that is wicked fast! Saved my money and don't even have to "work" anymore. How about that, flicker! Now that's fun. Just train, feed the chickens, eat organic, play with the dogs and cats, cuddle with my girlfriend. Love to race you sometime flicker. Live anywhere in the Pacific NW? I got lot's of time on my hands. Come on over, we can have a neighborly race up Cultus Mt. Just a meager 4K climb right outside my door.

By the way, how's the construction business? Raking in the moola to pay off those construction loans? And what's an "illeagal?" Is that insider construction "happy talk", or some kind of sick bird, or both?

Robert Merivel said:
Hey "flicker" thanks for the offer, but I was a general contractor some moons ago so I think I got that covered. Bunker? for what? Got lots of panels already which is quite wonderful. No electric bill in the mail every month! In fact, other than the internet bill, some store bought food, a few gallons of gas every once in a while, viola! all my money gets to go into bike stuff! Got some nice carbon and titanium frames. Carbon rims. One sub 19 pound full suspension that is wicked fast! Saved my money and don't even have to "work" anymore. How about that, flicker! Now that's fun. Just train, feed the chickens, eat organic, play with the dogs and cats, cuddle with my girlfriend. Love to race you sometime flicker. Live anywhere in the Pacific NW? I got lot's of time on my hands. Come on over, we can have a neighborly race up Cultus Mt. Just a meager 4K climb right outside my door.

By the way, how's the construction business? Raking in the moola to pay off those construction loans? And what's an "illeagal?" Is that insider construction "happy talk", or some kind of sick bird, or both?

You live in Idaho don't you?:eek:

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
Robert the Muppet listens to Alex Jones. :eek: Who would have thought? That is freaking hilarious.

Ahh, BigDeal, I bet you haven't moved since your last post to me. How many pounds you put on since then? I told you to ease off the gmo junk food...it'll make you L...A...Z...Y!!!

Alright, 5,066...you be awsome! Your the Grand Daddy Member! Impressive!

And truly, thanks for thinking about me. It's always a wonderful pleasure to hear your D....E....E....P...L...Y profound words of wisdom, i.e. Gekitotsu! Satsujin ken! Kung foo yu!

PS How can you afford to spend so much time on the internet? Do you live in the parents basement?

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Hugh Januss said:
You live in Idaho don't you?:eek:

Close, very close. Next state over. But I did live in Sand Point back in the early 80's so I'll give you a couple of points. Did a stage race there in the late 80's. Never forget that TT hill climb up to the top of Schweitzer...killer! Phil Anderson, once holder of the yellow jersey, actually raced it and won it that year.

Why, you live there? It's a great place but I kind of like being next to the Ocean.

Robert Merivel said:
Close, very close. Next state over. But I did live in Sand Point back in the early 80's so I'll give you a couple of points. Did a stage race there in the late 80's. Never forget that TT hill climb up to the top of Schweitzer...killer! Phil Anderson, once holder of the yellow jersey, actually raced it and won it that year.

Why, you live there? It's a great place but I kind of like being next to the Ocean.

Nah, I just picture it as having an inordinate number of rugged individualists.*

* Survivalists

Susan Westemeyer said:
OK, folks, cool it with the insults.

You know, I remember hearing all this stuff back in the early 1970s as well. People have been predicting The End Of Live As We Know It for a very long time now. Still hasn't happened.

Susan

I think that was exactly what Bro was trying to say, in his own inimitable way.
BTW. I love your new sig. line. Hunter Thompson is it?:D

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
due to the rudimentary facts of ebb in a traditional global economy and flow the GDP State to state the margin for error is small on a macro scale assuming most rudimentary averaging rschniques are applied to the bike industry as a whole.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Susan Westemeyer said:
OK, folks, cool it with the insults.

You know, I remember hearing all this stuff back in the early 1970s as well. People have been predicting The End Of Live As We Know It for a very long time now. Still hasn't happened.

Susan

I think the topic is one that pushes many people's buttons. Without question we are presently in an global economic meltdown. It doesn't take a rocket scientist, a survivalist, a wall street bookie or a forum moderator to figure it out. It is real and happening right now. The 70's were insignificant compared to what's going on right now. Denial still is the default for most people. It's too hard to handle.

Pretending that "things" haven't really changed is the problem. We are all going to be greatly influenced by the madness of this corruption and greed as it manifests in every possible place, even if we are the "good" guys. Even the moderators of this forum are not immune. I look at the many threads through out this forum and the so called "insults" here are tame in comparison. It's just that this topic hits so deep for so many people. Money is security and these are very insecure times that we live in. When a trillion dollars can disappear in push of a button, imagine how quickly one can experience personal financial ruin. That's why prescribed drugs have become the norm for the majority...looking for a way out, a quick fix. It just ain't gonna happen. Time we all begin to pull our heads out of the sand and deal with reality no matter how uncomfortable we "think" that it might be.

Robert Merivel said:
I think the topic is one that pushes many people's buttons. Without question we are presently in an global economic meltdown. It doesn't take a rocket scientist, a survivalist, a wall street bookie or a forum moderator to figure it out. It is real and happening right now. The 70's were insignificant compared to what's going on right now. Denial still is the default for most people. It's too hard to handle.

Disagreeing with one another is fine. But denigrating someone else's opinion is another matter. I respect your right to your opinion, you must respect my right to mine.

Susan

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
It isn't Robert who is predicting this stuff. This is coming from quite a number of the world's top trend, wall street and financial forecasters. They are all basically saying that the economic meltdown of 2010/2011 will make the great depression look like a walk in the park. A word of warning, the media (who we all know lie) will tell you to invest in the stocks again, that this or that is a good buy, but don't believe it. If you have stocks sell now while you can and get out of debt and into gold/silver and storage food.

I wouldn't be worried about terror attacks etc. Any real successful one's have CIA and other secret organisation involvement. If you don't know that 9/11 was an inside job by now then you are a sucker to the media bull. Before criticizing me for this, look up 9/11 truth on the internet and do your own research.

I'm still living life, enjoying all that is out there for me to enjoy, but am very aware of what's around the corner, but still living life for today.

Indurain said:
It isn't Robert who is predicting this stuff. This is coming from quite a number of the world's top trend, wall street and financial forecasters. They are all basically saying that the economic meltdown of 2010/2011 will make the great depression look like a walk in the park. A word of warning, the media (who we all know lie) will tell you to invest in the stocks again, that this or that is a good buy, but don't believe it. If you have stocks sell now while you can and get out of debt and into gold/silver and storage food.

I wouldn't be worried about terror attacks etc. Any real successful one's have CIA and other secret organisation involvement. If you don't know that 9/11 was an inside job by now then you are a sucker to the media bull. Before criticizing me for this, look up 9/11 truth on the internet and do your own research.

I'm still living life, enjoying all that is out there for me to enjoy, but am very aware of what's around the corner, but still living life for today.

facepalm.jpg

Oh, Jeebus! This is why people should not listen to Alex Jones.

Alex Jones is one of, if not the, leading beacon for conspiracy nutters in the U.S. He is a kook's kook. His ranting is so hysterical that other conspiracy theorists often accuse him of being a member of a false flag operation to discredit their "movement."

He produces content that is the McDonald's of conspiracy theories. It is a wide menu of craziness that has been santized so that it will appeal to the widest possible audience. It is essentially conspiracy theory for the masses. The theories that he promotes are contradictory from year to year, week to week, and day to day. There is no internal logic because it is designed to partially buttress the pet theories of each member of his audience.

The really funny thing about Alex Jones that he is a cynical self promoter who exploits his believers for money. Unlike David Icke, a man who is likely mentally ill, who believes that the world is controlled by a global elite of alien reptiles, Alex Jones does not believe anything that he says. He is playing his audience for a buck, and that audience is too stupid to figure it out. His act is the perfect scam. If you are going to con people then why not choose the most gullible.

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
Susan Westemeyer said:
Oops, how did he sneak in like that? He's a goner.

As to remembering the 70s, I was of course a very very wee tot at the time :D

Susan

You don't miss much ;)

I was, shall I say, a Teenager on a Schwinn Varsity

TRENDING THREADS