• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Howman: More money in doping than heroin

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
D-Queued said:
Interesting. Hadn't realized you had WADA upon a pedestal from which it could descend a step. Care to defend why you put them there?

Dave.

WADA in my eyes represent good. If they can clean up sports, they are awesome. Making statements having to do with narcotics shows me that they have a political agenda.
I have always said that PEDs in Europe move from the Eastern Bloc through, for instance Russian mafia syndicates. Obviously Mr. Papp moved his through internet sales from China and somewhere else.
Making an analogy about Heroin and PEDs, a fifth grader could see simply is not true.
I thought that WADA was about PEDs, not the drug war.
Peace out Flicker

Fair enough. I misjudged you.

As for the real battle on drugs, and the really big profits, it appears the FDA & FBI are very busy in Florida lately. Trying to stem the massive profits from the illegal traffic in prescription drugs.

Biggest drug market next to alcohol and mary jane.

Sports stars benefit from the power of sports marketing.

When sports stars are the poster children of drug abuse, this is a big problem. Especially if that abuse is PEDs, since this suggests that illicit prescription drugs are ok.

As for which is more profitable. Today's Front Page story in USA Today underscores the massive profits available in the illicit prescription drugs market.

Meanwhile, last month we had this headline in the Washington Post:

Study finds steroids are readily available through Amazon

"There's a million other products on sale on Amazon that are similar" to the ones we analyzed, Oliver Catlin said. "It's an easy place to shop and look for these things. They remain widely available."

Dave.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
D-Queued said:

As for the real battle on drugs, and the really big profits, it appears the FDA & FBI are very busy in Florida lately. Trying to stem the massive profits from the illegal traffic in prescription drugs.

When sports stars are the poster children of drug abuse, this is a big problem. Especially if that abuse is PEDs, since this suggests that illicit prescription drugs are ok.

As for which is more profitable. Today's Front Page story in USA Today underscores the massive profits available in the illicit prescription drugs market.

Dave.

Here in the USA we live in a drug culture. I appreciate Howmans' concern, however the new problem in our schools here is prescription drug abuse, particularly in our jr. high and high schools.
Yes, our young athletes in the USA role model PED use, and that dovetails nicely into prescription drug abuse with students. I wonder if Boonens' positives for cocaine spiked cocaine use in Belguim?

A

Anonymous

flicker said:
Mr. Howman is being a sensationalist, nothing more nothing less. PED abuse in sports is serious, however his statement is outlandish.
Even if there was more money changing hands or profits made in PEDs over Heroin, the human suffering and direct link to enslaving individuals, and the crimes committed by said Heroin addicts, does not compare in any way to PED abuse.
WADA has taken a step down in my eyes by Mr. Howmans' statement.

Wow. I bet the WADA is re-examining their existance after this criticism.

Mar 19, 2010
Visit site
Who are WADA, how are they elected, who elects them and what kind of committee makes the decisions regarding peds?

Who finances it and how much money is involved?

Fester said:
Who are WADA, how are they elected, who elects them and what kind of committee makes the decisions regarding peds?

Who finances it and how much money is involved?

...they have a web site that you can consult?

WADA was created by the IOC in the aftermath of the Festina affair.

It is a bit of an open book on your other questions... which should not come as any surprise.

You didn't know this, or you are trying to suggest something nefarious?

Dave.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
D-Queued said:

It is a bit of an open book on your other questions... which should not come as any surprise.

Dave.

Wow, WADA created by the IOC. I now forgive Landis for hacking computers. Who, what does the IOC care about stopping doping other than covering their backsides!

Mar 19, 2010
Visit site
D-Queued said:

Dave.

My nefarious suggestion is I am worried that their industry exists because of doping. How interested would all those labs be, all those doctors, all those committees be in eliminating their reason for being?

In terms of funding they appear to receive 26m a year.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Fester said:
My nefarious suggestion is I am worried that their industry exists because of doping. How interested would all those labs be, all those doctors, all those committees be in eliminating their reason for being?

In terms of funding they appear to receive 26m a year.

Sweet, with Howmans' recent comments, maybe he can ramp up his budget and he and his officers can upgrade from business class to private jet.

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
Fester said:
How interested would all those labs be, all those doctors, all those committees be in eliminating their reason for being?

In any professional sport, a pot of money sitting at the end of the rainbow means your question is moot.
just saying

have a good day

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
D-Queued said:

Dave.

Not just Amazon but Don Catlin's own website

http://steroidreport.com/2011/02/01/don-catlin-sells-anabolic-steroids-on-his-website/

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Dewulf said:
Agreed, plus i don't believe the market sizes are even remotely similar. Far more potential heroin users than PED users i would bet.

Uk estimates for steroid ubuse vary between 70, 000 and 250,000 depending on if you want to use the crime stats or the more accurite data reported by Health Clubs:)rolleyes:) and Gp Surgeries.
I doupt theres 250,000 reguler heroin users but so far havnt found the stats.

" Professor Les Iversen thinks an explosion in websites selling the muscle-building drug has made it far easier to get hold of.

"The great majority of users don't even realise they're taking an illegal substance," he said. "

http://news.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/hi/health/newsid_8093000/8093102.stm

Glenn_Wilson said:
Race Radio said:

He was calling out Amazon for selling steroids while the entire time the ad sense adds were pimping steroids on his web site. Classic.

Yes. Classic.

In fairness, Caitlin appears to have reacted to the concern and adwords are no longer on the site:

Here is the link: http://thecatlinperspective.wordpress.com

I am not here to defend Caitlin, but tweeting the three-week-old steroidreport article at the present time without checking on status at Caitlin's site is endorsing something that no longer appears to be true. Corrective tweet called for?

Seems prejudicial when corrective action has been taken, don't you think?

And, in minor bone to pick, it would have been nice if the criticizing article on sterroid report had provided an html link to the Caitlin site - rather than simply spelling out the name of the blog.

Moreover, the steroidreport could have asked Caitlin for comment (like a real news source) and/or updated the blog post or noted in the comments that the Adwords links are no longer present.

He does clearly advertise his services to help 'fix' sites such as Caitlin's, and it would have made sense to contact Don to help him fix this if it were a sincere offer:

Without contact Don, providing a correction, or noting the change, it is a bit more like sticking his tongue out at him while claiming to be a friend.

Dave.

Feb 28, 2010
Visit site
Criminals 'Control Big Part Of World Sport'

The following link is for a Sky news article on doping in sport http://alturl.com/ytere. It states that WADA's David Howman said `organised gangs make more money dealing in performance-enhancing drugs than trafficking heroin.'

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Hawkwood said:
The following link is for a Sky news article on doping in sport http://alturl.com/ytere. It states that WADA's David Howman said `organised gangs make more money dealing in performance-enhancing drugs than trafficking heroin.'
It was discussed in this thread last month:

Howman: More Money In Doping Than Heroin

(The Mods can probably merge the 2 threads if there is nothing new in todays comments.)

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
New stuff from a Howman speech today.
The criminal underworld is providing prohibited substances.

Howman also told the conference there was evidence that there had been attempts to bribe doping control officers with money in brown envelopes.

He told reporters the amounts involved were "thousands of dollars".

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/16032011/58/wada-criminals-taking-sport.html

The criminal underworld now controls a large proportion of world sport, World Anti-Doping Agency director general David Howman said.

Howman told a doping conference convened by the World Sports Law Report at Twickenham rugby stadium that the criminal elements who controlled illegal betting were also involved in steroid trafficking.

"My inside information has it that the underworld is now controlling a significant proportion of world sport," he said.

http://tvnz.co.nz/othersports-news/criminals-control-large-part-world-sport-4067632

I love that he's citing info from Interpol, and talking about "brown envelopes" with McQuaid in the room. Does some of this intel come from the Armstrong investigation?

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
theswordsman said:
I love that he's citing info from Interpol, and talking about "brown envelopes" with McQuaid in the room. Does some of this intel come from the Armstrong investigation?

Are you suggesting that the Armstrong Investigation has uncovered ties to organized crime?

Could be, could be. Lets add it to the list....

RICO, Tax Evasion, Fraud, Global Drug Distribution, Chinese Drug Counterfeiting,
and now ties to Organized Crime.
Crap, Lance is screwed.

theswordsman said:
New stuff from a Howman speech today.

The criminal underworld is providing prohibited substances.

Howman also told the conference there was evidence that there had been attempts to bribe doping control officers with money in brown envelopes.

He told reporters the amounts involved were "thousands of dollars".

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/16032011/58/wada-criminals-taking-sport.html

http://tvnz.co.nz/othersports-news/criminals-control-large-part-world-sport-4067632

Bribing control officers is silly - they might even have ethics that stimulated them to take such a role.

Why not just do things the old-fashioned way and buy some equipment for the UCI?

It is all in the marketing. You have to understand the nature of the audience you are trying to bribe.

Dave.

D-Queued said:
Yes. Classic.

In fairness, Caitlin appears to have reacted to the concern and adwords are no longer on the site:

Here is the link: http://thecatlinperspective.wordpress.com

I am not here to defend Caitlin, but tweeting the three-week-old steroidreport article at the present time without checking on status at Caitlin's site is endorsing something that no longer appears to be true. Corrective tweet called for?

Seems prejudicial when corrective action has been taken, don't you think?

And, in minor bone to pick, it would have been nice if the criticizing article on sterroid report had provided an html link to the Caitlin site - rather than simply spelling out the name of the blog.

Moreover, the steroidreport could have asked Caitlin for comment (like a real news source) and/or updated the blog post or noted in the comments that the Adwords links are no longer present.

He does clearly advertise his services to help 'fix' sites such as Caitlin's, and it would have made sense to contact Don to help him fix this if it were a sincere offer:

Without contact Don, providing a correction, or noting the change, it is a bit more like sticking his tongue out at him while claiming to be a friend.

Dave.

Hi Dave,

Just a note: Catlin was/is aware of my website. I posted comments on his blog article and he deleted them without a response.

I hope my blog can provide a perspective not often found in today's journalism. I never pretend to be a journalist - blogging is one thing, journalism is another thing entirely. Unfortunately, when it comes to the issue of anabolic steroids, I think real journalists are failing in their coverage.

As far as the sincerity of my offer to help, I did post clear steps in the comments section of the article intended to help websites selectively remove ads from google adsense.

Millard

Hawkwood said:
Okay so nothing new, just Sky being a little slow running the story. Still interesting the British media even running this sort of story, must have been a slow day for football stories!

Actually, I think there is something new today...

Howman appears a little more defensive in his comments and cites Interpol as the source of his claim!

I think such a claim is absurd. I'm surprised he hasn't backed away from it. I'm shocked he's using Interpol to justify the claim.

Millard Baker said:
Hi Dave,

Just a note: Catlin was/is aware of my website. I posted comments on his blog article and he deleted them without a response.

I hope my blog can provide a perspective not often found in today's journalism. I never pretend to be a journalist - blogging is one thing, journalism is another thing entirely. Unfortunately, when it comes to the issue of anabolic steroids, I think real journalists are failing in their coverage.

As far as the sincerity of my offer to help, I did post clear steps in the comments section of the article intended to help websites selectively remove ads from google adsense.

Millard

Hi,

Thanks for the insight/update.

Edit to add: It would be nice if we could hear from the good Dr. Either here, on his site, or on yours.

Dave.

TRENDING THREADS