• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

HRM/cadence recommendations

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
I've been using a Suunto HRM with Cateye Strada wireless bike computer with a chain stay mounted cadence sensor over the winter. Now that I've started to add some structure into my sessions I'm noticing a lot of lag on the HRM that seems to be caused by interference from the cadence sensor. It's really starting to get on my nerves now and I'm hoping that somebody has some constructive advice and/or a solution.

I've no special attachment to either the computer or HRM (although the watch strap has a heady aroma of exercise!). Does any body have either a) a fix? or b) recommendations on a good reliable training solution to include HRM, cadence and standard computer functions? I have been looking for an excuse to go Garmin - is this the right time?

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I've been using the Polar CS200 for quite a few years and have been pretty happy with it. Wife uses a CS100, main difference being that the CS200 stores 7 rides worth of data and can be downloaded onto your computer or something like that (I never do that, I just write it down in my journal). They both have cadence, but if memory serves, the CS100 does not come with the cadence sensor - you must purchase that seperately...I think the CS200 comes with the cadence sensor. The heart rate strap on the 200 is also higher quality.

I can tell you that they like to pop off in a fall and you have to send it in to get the back replaced when the mounting tabs snap off - which costs $15 plus shipping (once the warranty expires). But I liked mine enough to buy another one when I got tired of switching it from bike to bike. So I recommend it, but my experience is limited. I can just tell you I am happy with them.

If you are gonna buy a Garmin, I recommend getting one that will measure power for when you make that upgrade. Training with power is the way to go.

my 0.02

Cheers

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
Delay and incorrect HRM readings are common and can depend on so many issues.

Polar is good so is Garmin but they all have delays in showing output some times the short interval is over before the HRM shows the correct reading.

Power is better because it is instant use both is possible.

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Just got one of these http://corp.brytonsport.com/products/rider30?lang=en-us
It is far easier to use than the Polar CS600 I've been using for the last two years. And with a GPS, no need for sensors--unless you're obsessed with cadence.
In particular, I like being able to decide which data fields you want to see.
And the ant+ compatability means I'll have to get a new power meter. (Just don't tell my wife.)

I have both Polar cs200 and Garmin Edge 500. I prefer my polar for the screen display. I like the Garmin for its computer software upload feature. I really don't think one is "significantly" better for the riding for my purposes. It also depends on your budget. I don't need to be distracted by turn by turn directions.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Thanks to everybody for their input. I've discounted Polar based on the amount of negative comments received here and elsewhere. I'm leaning more towards Garmin based on the ability to sync in power should my Lotto numbers come in!

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
TexPat said:
It is far easier to use than the Polar CS600 I've been using for the last two years. And with a GPS, no need for sensors--unless you're obsessed with cadence.
And the ant+ compatability means I'll have to get a new power meter. (Just don't tell my wife.)

Had any problems with the Bryton lately? I've heard some are ditching theirs for Edge 500. I think Bryton will probably give garmin a real run for their money after they become more established and iron out a few software probs.

To the OP, to avoid interference I second the recommendation to go for a cheaper wired computer with a basic HRM. I have an ancient Polar Favor that's still going strong after 12 years. I've found wireless comps chew through the batteries and always let you down at the beginning of long rides. Gotta hate a dead comp staring at you for 4 hours!

If you go Garmin, you'll have no probs from what I can see. You just have to remember to charge the thing. The Edge 500 is pretty reasonable. I'm thinking of going for it myself.

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
I've been researching the Garmin and I was surprised to learn of the problems these babies have. The Garmin forums is full of bugs, corrupted files, elevation misreads, dropouts and freezes. Besides a big crash, I can't think of anything worse than a cyclocomputer giving problems on a ride. I don't know how representative these forums are of most users' experience, and I imagine more people will talk about the issues these things have than those who are super happy with their purchase, but the frequency of problems seems enough to turn me off.

I imagine a number of problems are to do with the GPS itself as this technology is notoriously fiddly. Maybe the traditional cyclecomputer is the way to go. I've heard good things about the Sigma Rox 9.0 and the VDO Z. They're both a lot like the Polar CX600 except they seem to work (ie no cadence dropout, reliable sensors, no interence with HR). At around $185 each, they're also cheaper.

http://www.amazon.com/Sigma-ROX-Tri...e=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1299484553&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/VDO-Z1-Altimeter-Cycle-Computer/dp/B001CY23Y4/ref=acc_glance_sg_ai_-2_t_2

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
TexPat said:

That Bryton GPS looks good. A quick search online didn't locate a dealer in Canada/US. Anyone on this forum see Bryton distributed in North America?

TRENDING THREADS