• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

HTC Columbia vs. Sky

Jun 28, 2009
Visit site
Yup, it's official. America's team, HTC Columbia, is clubbing Sky like a baby seal.
America's team with two Americans. I thought that was against UCI Pro Tour rules to have that few from a team's home country but I was wrong. I think Tejay is going to be something special though.

Clemson Cycling said:
America's team with two Americans. I thought that was against UCI Pro Tour rules to have that few from a team's home country but I was wrong. I think Tejay is going to be something special though.

American tradition. We hire the best. We don't care to extort another team out of an overhyped countryman who will be lucky if he cracks the top ten at the Tour.

Comparing Columbia to Sky is more than a little unfair to Sky. It's an unreasonably high standard to hold a new team to (with their sprinting division based largely on whoever they could get from Columbia) whereas Columbia has had 3 years to mould the best possible train, and on top of that has the best two sprinters in the peleton right now.

Columbia were always going to be the best sprinting team this year, and anyone who held differently was just an overexcited fanboy.

Also, Columbia is "America's Team"? That's a good one, unless America has suddenly turned into a combination of Australia and Germany.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Men's team only

Germany-5
Australia-5
Belgium-3
Denmark-2
USA-2
Slovakia-2
Austria-1
Uk-1
Switzerland-1
Italy-1
Czech-1
Belarus-1
NewZealand-1
Latvia-1
Spain-1

14 nations...Can anyone else beat that?

Sky vs HTC as a sprinters team...they may manage a nice leadout, but noone at sky can finish like greipel or cavendish.

Moondance said:
Comparing Columbia to Sky is more than a little unfair to Sky.

No. No. No. It is a perfectly good comparison, much more so than comparing Sky, a team built for one day races, to Garmin, a team built for placing high in GTs and the occasional time trial victory. Plus, Sky has a completely new approach, so the team does not need years and years to build itself in the traditional way.

BroDeal said:
No. No. No. It is a perfectly good comparison, much more so than comparing Sky, a team built for one day races, to Garmin, a team built for placing high in GTs and the occasional time trial victory. Plus, Sky has a completely new approach, so the team does not need years and years to build itself in the traditional way.

???? What's so "completely new" about them?

Moondance said:
???? What's so "completely new" about them?

I am not really sure, but Dim can tell us all about it. He mentions it in every other post of his about Sky. Apparently the team gave each rider a laptop, and they are providing nutrition advice. I am sure that no team in the hundred plus year history of cycling ever thought to give their riders diet information. I cannot figure out how the laptops will help. Maybe they carry them in courier bags for extra weight while doing hill repeats in training. But I assure you, even if I cannot understand it myself, it is a totally new approach.

Aug 20, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
I am not really sure, but Dim can tell us all about it. He mentions it in every other post of his about Sky. Apparently the team gave each rider a laptop, and they are providing nutrition advice. I am sure that no team in the hundred plus year history of cycling ever thought to give their riders diet information. I cannot figure out how the laptops will help. Maybe they carry them in courier bags for extra weight while doing hill repeats in training. But I assure you, even if I cannot understand it myself, it is a totally new approach.

You really don't like Sky do you?

Aug 20, 2009
Visit site
Moondance said:
I think its more that Bro is sick of the Sky fanboys.

There has been a lot of hype around them, but its the results that matter in the end. Personally I think they will have a good season, with some stage wins and maybe a classic victory.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Moondance said:
I think its more that Bro is sick of the Sky fanboys.

Have they been around long enough to be sick of 'em yet?

My theory is that Bro is just one of the more skilled and sarcastic polemicists on this here forum...

BroDeal said:
Apparently the team gave each rider a laptop, and they are providing nutrition advice. I am sure that no team in the hundred plus year history of cycling ever thought to give their riders diet information. I cannot figure out how the laptops will help. Maybe they carry them in courier bags for extra weight while doing hill repeats in training. But I assure you, even if I cannot understand it myself, it is a totally new approach.

Now, if they gave each "rider" a lapdance, that really might prove to be a new and "exciting" approach.;)

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Mellow Velo said:
Now, if they gave each "rider" a lapdance, that really might prove to be a new and "exciting" approach.;)

hendo might win against grepel due to being so excited though would be an odd photo shot with him sitting up clebrating the win with his schlong being quite visible!

auscyclefan94 said:
hendo might win against grepel due to being so excited though would be an odd photo shot with him sitting up clebrating the win with his schlong being quite visible!

And you know who else knows the importance of having a good schlong length for photo finishes? A certain rider from Austin, Texas, that goes by the name..........Lance Armstrong:p

Sorry i couldn't resist.... i was just reading that other thread where every second poster was ripping into Paul Sherwen for mentioning a certain rider from Austin, Texas who is apparently named Lance Armstrong ( or Larnce Armstrong if you are Paul Sherwen).......

Ok, ok, back on track. What were we talking about?.......oh yeah, who has a bigger schlong?.... Hendo or Greipel?......i'm gonna say Greipel by a head:D

TRENDING THREADS