• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Hushovd not entirely happy with Garmin-Cervelo

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
TRDean said:
Im not sure you know the meaning of the word coward...not necessarily how I would describe Hushovd's riding style.

Its funny on here...unless a rider attacks...attacks...attacks he is a coward. There is more to winning a race than just attacking. Using your head. Sometimes...just hanging on to make the sprint requires more courage/intestinal fortitude than being able to go on the attack. The wheel sucking argument is old and tired. Heck, I don't even like Hushovd very much..but calling him a coward is just short sighted.

it has nothing to do with attacking like an imbecile but what hushovd did in p-r showed what he was. a lack of leadership, a coward, the pure fear in his eyes when cancellara stopped riding and hushovd had no clue what to do. you could see it in his eyes I will never forget that moment. that's when I saw ok you will never win this race(unless lucky vansummeren move) because you don't have something guys like boonen, vino, gilbert and cancellara have, responsibility

Parrulo said:
i invite you to watch the last 10k's of the race ;) thor had no chance

also ya JV's has a micro version of cycling lawl he cares about wining he doesn't give a damn about what you want to watch. garmin's tactics were overall decent in roubaix (there were some silly mistakes along the way tho mostly in the last 50k)

My comments were re: had they caught the breakaway, not the actual race. It would have been a different story all together, different motivation for Thor too.

JV's got lucky, as it shows the results of his classics campaign this year.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Parrulo said:
well i do rate pippo and ballan on a higher level as both have proved that they have what it takes to win a tough race and consistently are there when the selection is made.

too me thor is just a glorified sprinter. "oh but he is the world champion and has the stripes to prove it so he must be great" you say, "2 words for you. . . . igor astarloa"

being a lucky winner doesn't auto makes you great.

and just so you know i don't dislike thor there are very few really very few cyclists i dislike and there are plenty of them that i like. thor just goes in the "i don't really care about him" category

So you are saying Thor is not deserving of the WC jersey? I don't consider him a lucky winner of that race...I just don't. I don't like or dislike him either...but I don't feel he is some wheel sucker or lucky rider. Or an Igor Astarloa...

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Carera said this morning that relations were fine between the rider and the team. “I declare that there isn’t any problem between the World Champion Thor Hushovd and his Team Garmin-Cervélo as stated in the article,” he said.

“Team Garmin continues to search for a second name sponsor. If they should find one before the Tour de France, then I believe that Jonathan will be generous and pay Thor a bonus, despite the fact that there is no bonus in Thor’s contract. We apologize for any misunderstanding on this matter.”

Read more: http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/8...-exist-with-Garmin-Cervelo.aspx#ixzz1Kua9k8OX

Why is Garmin looking for another name sponsor? Is Cervélo stepping down?

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
TRDean said:
So you are saying Thor is not deserving of the WC jersey? I don't consider him a lucky winner of that race...I just don't. I don't like or dislike him either...but I don't feel he is some wheel sucker or lucky rider. Or an Igor Astarloa...

If Pippo worked with the break in Geelong I doubt Hushovd would've won. But yeah, nothing lucky on his win, he won the only way he could win. In a sense all classics have luck involved in them, last year's Worlds was no exception.

Igor Astarloa at least won a classic by the way. Please don't compare him to Hushovd who is one of the most boring cyclists to watch usually. Still have to laugh at how people thought his little breakaway in the Tour 2009 was impressive.

TRDean said:

nah he deserves the jersey but the way he won it (showing up in the last 200 meters of the race and saying "yo remember me?") to me doesn't give him as much credit as lets say evans or ballan both who did very active and gutsy rides the entire race. i know he played his cards and did the right thing . . . it just doesn't has the same feeling.

he was also some sort of outsider and people weren't expecting him so he was able to save himself the entire race for those last 200 meters.

but i am biased cus i don't think there should be flat world champs (geelong was flat enough for a sprinter to win so don't go "geelong was actually hilly" on me)
it doesn't feel right for the world champ to be a guy who had his team working the entire race while he only waits for the final 200 meters.(not thor's case as he didn't have much of a team but it was cippos case in zolder, hell cippo even had one of the best sprinters in the world leading him out!!!!!!)

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
Ah the curse of that Rainbow jersey but I can reason with his argument they should know who is going to be team leader before entries close . then throw everything behind him.

To be sitting up and arguing with Sparticus over who will work or not in the closing stages of a Classic is sick I am sure Hushod wanted to work and win or second at least but to try to work it out that late in the race is criminal.

Same applies to the Cevelo director he must agree to fair riding to tell him to sit on realy gives me a the sh!!!ts.

Hushovd did not really have a team in WC. Spain did all the work so Oscar could go well, but he did not feature greatly in the sprint. Pozzato got his teammates to work in the break too, as well as having Nibali, being strong. The WC was very exciting and fuelled with attacking racing near the end.

Husovd should move. SBS did have Nuyens as their leader for Tour of Flanders., Riis is a better DS than JV

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Parrulo said:
nah he deserves the jersey but the way he won it (showing up in the last 200 meters of the race and saying "yo remember me?") to me doesn't give him as much credit as lets say evans or ballan both who did very active and gutsy rides the entire race. i know he played his cards and did the right thing . . . it just doesn't has the same feeling.

he was also some sort of outsider and people weren't expecting him so he was able to save himself the entire race for those last 200 meters.

but i am biased cus i don't think there should be flat world champs (geelong was flat enough for a sprinter to win so don't go "geelong was actually hilly" on me)it doesn't feel right for the world champ to be a guy who had his team working the entire race while he only waits for the final 200 meters.(not thor's case and he didn't have much of a team but it was cippos case in zolder, hell cippo even had one of the best sprinters in the world leading him out!!!!!!)

We totally agree here! A WC course should be one of the most selective courses of the year! No doubt! Thanks for the good conversation!

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
greenedge said:
Hushovd did not really have a team in WC. Spain did all the work so Oscar could go well, but he did not feature greatly in the sprint. Pozzato got his teammates to work in the break too, as well as having Nibali, being strong. The WC was very exciting and fuelled with attacking racing near the end.

Husovd should move. SBS did have Nuyens as their leader for Tour of Flanders., Riis is a better DS than JV

Great race but a bit of an anti climax at the end. Paul Martens and Cadel Evans were the strongest riders I reckon but still he got the win so credit to him.

Riis would be better but thats not saying a lot. My sister could do a better job than Vaughters and she knows zilch about cycling.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
hushovd has class?? he whines more than your average wife of 40. he has no class and rides like a coward as we could all see in p-r. also he has excuses for everytime he doesn't win. possibly worse than boonen and at least boonen has the class to make a race instead of wheelsucking and don't come up with hushovd has a sprint because boonen is faster and always rides with you.

I couldn't have put it better. Hushovd seems like a nice bloke but boy is he a little b*tch when it comes to excuses.

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
595RED said:
Ballan was gutless. Thor was torn at not being allowed to ride, he wanted to honor the jersey and go large with Canc.

What do you mean Ballan was gutless? He was one of the few who managed to bridge to Canc and on his own. OK he might not have been able to win but he put in a good effort.

Anyone finishing PR is a hero and placing is excellent whatever the position.

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
TRDean said:
We totally agree here! A WC course should be one of the most selective courses of the year! No doubt! Thanks for the good conversation!

That would be unfair as a sprinter would never be able to win a WC then. It should ofcourse be somewhat selective (and it always is), and the pure length also makes it selective in it self. Personally I think its fine that the routes differ from year to year.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Cimber said:
That would be unfair as a sprinter would never be able to win a WC then. It should ofcourse be somewhat selective (and it always is), and the pure length also makes it selective in it self. Personally I think its fine that the routes differ from year to year.

then that sprinter should be able to climb and not vice versa for a wc course

Oct 16, 2009
Visit site
&quot said:
Allan Davis[/url]"]But there is no taking away from Thor today. Not only in the sprint, but Thor closed the gap in the last lap by himself, and to do what he did in the sprint, there is no taking that away from the world champion.
Really, the people saying Hushovd was lucky to win the worlds are full of ****e. Just because you're not on TV doesn't mean you're not racing.

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
goggalor said:
Really, the people saying Hushovd was lucky to win the worlds are full of ****e. Just because you're not on TV doesn't mean you're not racing.

He rode a clever race, not the best legs on the day but hung in long enough to contest a sprint.
He won so thats enough considering he had only 3 teamates there - Kristoff and Boasson Hagen.

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
Too much QQ, not enough attacks.

Wonder if he will ever will be happy in a team with less than 8 personal domestiques? When did he ever get along with a co-captain?

Imagine if Gilbert had won in Geelong, what a sight at the Ardennes classics we would have had.

Apr 13, 2009
Visit site
amatoer

when i am reading this treads i wonder how many of you are actually watching cycling.
Hushovd a green jersey rider .
hushovd attacks the climbers in last years hardest montain stage for fighting for the green jersey.
In this year of Paris -R he was the only rider who could follow cans. when he tryed to attack again and again.

I think we will se more of norwegian riders in the future .

TRENDING THREADS