• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Hushovd not entirely happy with Garmin-Cervelo

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
amatoer said:
when i am reading this treads i wonder how many of you are actually watching cycling.
Hushovd a green jersey rider .
hushovd attacks the climbers in last years hardest montain stage for fighting for the green jersey.
In this year of Paris -R he was the only rider who could follow cans. when he tryed to attack again and again.

I think we will se more of norwegian riders in the future .

Nice, 4 posts all about Hushovd.

I don't know what you are trying to say with this post, maybe it is "oh well he did a nice thing in the tour a couple years ago so he should be exonerated of all his faults and shortcomings"?

As Hushovd earns roughly 1.2 million Euros each year, you'd expect him not to publicly backstab his team in the media about money!

He has "problems" with his current and former teams and team-mates time and time again. Explain that if you will.

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
Anyway, those "agents" should just go away.
Somehow they still manage to keep themselfes alive.
No one really needs them - they are useless, impudent and most of them don't really care about the riders anyway.

In these days, making contacts and connections is no more a real problem and contracts should generally just be negotiated by wifes/girlfriends, since they are the Finanzministers and money administrators anyway, while ususally beeing hard negotiators. :D

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
considering the number of sprinters on other teams who regularly have 2 to 3 designated lead out men for them I think Thor's done pretty good. Essentially under Cervelo he had no one to lead him out. At Credit he had Julian Dean and that was about it. If you wanna talk about whiners I think there's a pretty good list of other riders with a more established record of whining than Thor.
Is he as good as FC? No. I'd like to know who the **** is? The only way anyone else can possibly have a chance against FC is to throw 3 or 4 high mountains at the man. Otherwise FC would win everything all year.

Aug 11, 2009
Visit site
goggalor said:
He does? .

Exactly. He doesn't have any such problems. In fact, Hushovd was loyal as a dog to team director, Roger Legeay, sticking with him to the bitter end when Credit Agricole pulled out and Legeay was looking for a new sponsor to save the team. Aside from Credit Agricole, Hushovd's "former teams" basically consist of Cervelo--which he never left.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
meandmygitane said:
He has "problems" with his current and former teams and team-mates time and time again.

2006 TdF.
Raisin's teammate Thor Hushovd called him after winning the final sprint on the Champs-Elysees. "I carried you across the line on my wrist," the muscular Norwegian said. Photographs clearly show the green bracelet on Hushovd's right arm, lifted triumphantly skyward.
http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/cycling/columns/story?id=2816777
DV96522_600.jpg

2007, TdF, Stage 4.
Speaking to The Associated Press by telephone, Raisin detailed the conversation:

Raisin: "Are you going to win the stage for me today?"
Hushovd: "I'll be doing my best."
Raisin: "Doing your best? That's not good enough. You've got to win."
Hushovd: "OK. I'll win."
Hushovd did just that, holding off his sprint rivals for the Norwegian's first stage victory since last year's finale on the Champs-Elysees. He dedicated that win in Paris to Raisin, and the two kept in touch regularly as Raisin emerged from the life-threatening coma and learned how to walk, talk and ride again.
Yeah, sounds like a horrible person. :rolleyes:

Apr 13, 2009
Visit site
meandmygitane said:
Nice, 4 posts all about Hushovd.

I don't know what you are trying to say with this post, maybe it is "oh well he did a nice thing in the tour a couple years ago so he should be exonerated of all his faults and shortcomings"?

As Hushovd earns roughly 1.2 million Euros each year, you'd expect him not to publicly backstab his team in the media about money!

He has "problems" with his current and former teams and team-mates time and time again. Explain that if you will.

Hushovd sad after winning the wolds that his next goals is winning the P-R. he used the hole spring season to get ready for the job. no one can say that he was not ready. the team strategy was that everyone is going to ride for Hushovd. Suddenly 20 km for finishline they change their tactics.they will not ride for the man who have prepared for this in 6 mounths.
I am sure that the team would gained more money out of used all their riders for the plan. everyone hoped for Cansellara the gladiator in a duel with Tor the Thunder on the velodrome.
Tor Hushovd have been a rider that is keeping his word. so he also want to be with a team that is do the same for him. when they say they will work for him they do.

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
Granville57 said:
DV96522_600.jpg

Yeah, sounds like a horrible person. :rolleyes:

And I said he was horrible, did I? Please, don't put words in my mouth.

I said that he had problems sharing a co-captainship, maybe because of his agent or his personal trainer Atle Kvålsvoll or his ego:
[Hushovd about Carlos Sastre leaving Cervélo]
He has not really done crap the last two years.
From http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/5...elos-loss-of-Carlos-Sastre.aspx#ixzz1L074oDnA

A replacement for the loss of Sastre would indeed be helpful to the team's invitation chances at next year's Tour de France, but Hushovd is firm on not playing second fiddle to anyone.

"Hushovd critisism against team mates"

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/8...ing-one-hundred-percent-for-me-on-Sunday.aspx

Put this together why he never has done any lead outs for Haussler or Farrar (save one so failed that it might almost be thought out as meant to show Farrar that mighty Thor is stronger than puny american).

Why did Stuart O'Grady leave CA a year after Thor arrived? Because there weren't place for two big men in the room. Was it one at fault or both or no one?

Again: He maybe a terrific person but he maybe(?) has to work on his team spirit and definitely needs to work on his QQing to media against his team.

Personally I love how he is honest with the media instead of just saying PR **** like some people do. Many cyclists would never come with comments like that even if they were true because they care so much about their PR and end up just answering pre-made answers time and time again. I find it quite funny that some people here seem to think that if he were disappointed with his teammates he should lie when asked by the media. Do we really want more lies in this sport?

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
amatoer said:
Hushovd sad after winning the wolds that his next goals is winning the P-R. he used the hole spring season to get ready for the job. no one can say that he was not ready. the team strategy was that everyone is going to ride for Hushovd. Suddenly 20 km for finishline they change their tactics.they will not ride for the man who have prepared for this in 6 mounths.
I am sure that the team would gained more money out of used all their riders for the plan. everyone hoped for Cansellara the gladiator in a duel with Tor the Thunder on the velodrome.
Tor Hushovd have been a rider that is keeping his word. so he also want to be with a team that is do the same for him. when they say they will work for him they do.

I don't buy that story because
A smart move because on the cobbles there was a huge effort from Cancellara with only Hushovd, Flecha and Ballan able to follow.

Meanwhile several riders dropped out of the lead group. Greipel and De Kort were among them. Vaitkus and Vanmarcke were quickly caught back and the latter delivered some top work to bring the group of seven closer to the leaders, who were riding one minute ahead of them, with 40 kilometres left to race.

At sector number 8, Pont-Thibaut à Ennevelin, the top favourite accelerated again and this time only Hushovd was able to hold the wheel from Cancellara although after the cobbles, Ballan closed the gap on the duo. Sixteen riders were leading the race with Cancellara, Hushovd and Ballan trailing by only half a minute.

The attacks in the lead group were flying around, without severe damage although two riders got dropped. Behind them, there was no cooperation in the elite chase. Cancellara didn't receive support from Hushovd or Ballan, and the Swiss was clearly not interested in a Flanders-scenario.
http://www.cyclingnews.com/races/paris-roubaix-his/results

1. If Garmin-Cervelo changed the tactics as late as when on Carrefour de l’Arbe why didn't Hushovd help Cancellara?
2. I think Thor is to stubborn-minded to NOT go for the victory if he wanted it even if Petegem and Vaughters was yelling it in his ear with a concerted effort.
3. If the team changed their tactics with 17km to go it was because the team felt Hushovd hadn't a reasonable chance to win - as a result of his not helping Cancellara.

No, Thor rode like Pozzato, with negative tactics and he reaped what he had sown.

But the discussion is not only about that race. It is about

1. QQing in the mediae should trust what Hushovd agent
2. Hushovd's agent's (NB! not Hushovd's) verbal contract with Vaughters
about a bonus
3. Any other reasons Hushovd might be dissappointed with Garmin-Cervelo and vice versa

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
maltiv said:
Personally I love how he is honest with the media instead of just saying PR **** like some people do. Many cyclists would never come with comments like that even if they were true because they care so much about their PR and end up just answering pre-made answers time and time again. I find it quite funny that some people here seem to think that if he were disappointed with his teammates he should lie when asked by the media. Do we really want more lies in this sport?

Yeah, because more smack talk is exactly what is needed. And of course hypocricy ("when the Green jersey is in danger it is the team mates fault but I won't do a thing for Farrar and Haussler")

I expect Cavendish is your favourite, outspoken rider?

Oct 16, 2009
Visit site
Don't forget how Hushovd's former CA team mates gave him lead outs for intermediate sprints in last years Tour. So he's friends with some former team mates and not so friendly with others.

But yes, he has had problems with the whole "two captains" strategy. But that's really been a result of weak team management: Sastre should never have been given half the team's support in the Tour after riding the Giro. If the team's goal was the green jersey, they should've put their entire team behind Thor. Also, Haussler was given a free role in many stages, despite not contributing to the lead out. Just poor DS-ing, really. The same was the case with Garmin this year, especially at MSR.

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
meandmygitane said:
Put this together why he never has done any lead outs for Haussler or Farrar (save one so failed that it might almost be thought out as meant to show Farrar that mighty Thor is stronger than puny american).

uh, try watching this. And on stage 3 he did the same. That's the one situation you're refering to as a bad leadout I suppose? Well, I'll have to disagree. Hushovd brought Farrar from behind, kept the position and pace for his man till the finishing line. Not his fault if Farrar got beaten by haedo, is it?

Regarding the whole novel. I don't think you can say he didn't work for his peers at the beginning of the season. But the whole point of that work was to get payback by the time classics came. Now for unfortunate reasons he didn't get that. At MSR he got caught behind the split, at PR he got outshadowed by a domestique. Adding to the fact he's not geting any younger and was in great form, Thor has some right to feel frustated for himself. I would. No way he sould whine to the press though. Take that rage, shut up, train harder and be stronger next time, would be my advice.

Oct 16, 2009
Visit site
goggalor said:
Don't forget how Hushovd's former CA team mates gave him lead outs for intermediate sprints in last years Tour. So he's friends with some former team mates and not so friendly with others.

But yes, he has had problems with the whole "two captains" strategy. But that's really been a result of weak team management: Sastre should never have been given half the team's support in the Tour after riding the Giro. If the team's goal was the green jersey, they should've put their entire team behind Thor. Also, Haussler was given a free role in many stages, despite not contributing to the lead out. Just poor DS-ing, really. The same was the case with Garmin this year, especially at MSR.
Also, I forgot to mention a giant ego. He definitely has that.

Apr 13, 2009
Visit site
goggalor said:
Also, I forgot to mention a giant ego. He definitely has that.

Every sprinter have a big ego. I think they must have to be at their best.

last year hushovd maybe lost the green jersey because cansellara managed to cancell the sprint in the stage where Andy went down.

hushovd worked a lot for their team mate in start of the spring .at least 2 times for Farrar one with a win . the other Farrar could not hold his wheel in a turn .
not often you se the world jersey working for other team mates says the comentators on eurosport.

A lot of people i Norway dont like hushovd for his big ego. but they love to se him win:)

If the tacticts for Germin is to go for Farrar and the green Jersey in the tour they have to leave Hushovd home.

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
canyonball said:
uh, try watching this. And on stage 3 he did the same. That's the one situation you're refering to as a bad leadout I suppose? Well, I'll have to disagree. Hushovd brought Farrar from behind, kept the position and pace for his man till the finishing line. Not his fault if Farrar got beaten by haedo, is it?

Regarding the whole novel. I don't think you can say he didn't work for his peers at the beginning of the season. But the whole point of that work was to get payback by the time classics came. Now for unfortunate reasons he didn't get that. At MSR he got caught behind the split, at PR he got outshadowed by a domestique. Adding to the fact he's not geting any younger and was in great form, Thor has some right to feel frustated for himself. I would. No way he sould whine to the press though. Take that rage, shut up, train harder and be stronger next time, would be my advice.

Thanks for good arguments, I respect people who are trying to debate seriously the subject and I can think of several valid counter arguments to mine, you've supplied one.

(Yes, I was polemic. And that was because I wanted a deeper debate but maybe that wasn't a too great way to do it.)

Yes, nice leadout in stage 2, didn't remember it to be honest because of:
Stage 3 - here you can either be benevolent or think the worst of Thor:

Either
Thor was too strong and Farrar too weak to follow through (I think the lead out was too early with that kind of power, now it was more like an attack and Farrar had to close the gap) or Thor was intentionally trying to show his strengths and Farrar's weaknesses.

Maybe we can agree to disagree on Thor's motives and agree to agree that any agenda in a team should not be pursued by media.

When asked in an interview who the nicest guy in the peloton was, Bradley Wiggins answered that it was Thor Hushovd, whom he hasn't even been on a team with. But clearly you don't have to be a bad guy in order to not have a good chemistry with certain people, and it seems as if Hushovd and garmin just doesn't quite fit. Actually it seems as if none of the Cervelo boys fit in - they've all underperformed massively this season.

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
maltiv said:
When asked in an interview who the nicest guy in the peloton was, Bradley Wiggins answered that it was Thor Hushovd, whom he hasn't even been on a team with. But clearly you don't have to be a bad guy in order to not have a good chemistry with certain people, and it seems as if Hushovd and garmin just doesn't quite fit. Actually it seems as if none of the Cervelo boys fit in - they've all underperformed massively this season.
They were teammates at Credit Agricole in 2004/5, and Vaughters was a teammate in 2000/1. The fact that Hushovd was on CA for 8 years suggests that he is far from a non-team guy, quite the opposite in fact.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
meandmygitane said:
And I said he was horrible, did I? Please, don't put words in my mouth.
They were my words, definitely. Part of my response was based on some of the earlier vitriol flying around this thread, and I was being overdramatic simply to balance the scales a bit.

I had some more time, and wanted to return to this topic to offer a more rational tone, but I see you've already have done that. Respect.
----------------
My own general thoughts, to various points that were previously made:

I've always understood that Thor is well liked and respected within the peloton and that his winning the Rainbow Jersey was looked favorable upon. Of course I have no idea what really goes on amongst the riders, but he certainly seemed like a worthy recipient.

If we look at Thor over the years, I don't really think much has changed.
He's often in the mix during a sprint; he poses enough of a threat to gain attention from anyone by his side; he is known to excel on certain types of finishes (like Geelong); and he's likely to win a few GT stages.
That, to me, is Thor.

I think he's been un-harshly criticized by some, as if the Rainbow Jersey is going to suddenly make him a rider he never was. Especially considering that the GT season hasn't even begun yet; the fall season still awaits; and he's adjusting to a new, unexpected, team environment.

There's still plenty of racing to be had. Not to mention the 2011 World Championships. I just don't think its's fair, or even slightly logical, to pass too much judgement...in APRIL!

amatoer said:
If the tacticts for Germin is to go for Farrar and the green Jersey in the tour they have to leave Hushovd home.
Thor has already stated that the he doesn't have Green Jersey ambitions this year, so I would think his experience would be invaluable, and he can still offer some serious lead-outs for Tyler, or go for a win himself depending on the stage profile.

And if the above link to T-A stage 2 is any indicator of what's possible when Thor & Tyler combine forces, then there could be some very exciting endings in store. That overhead shot of the replay is, as I have stated in other threads, textbook sprinting and teamwork at its best. Ballet on bikes.
meandmygitane said:
Maybe we can agree to disagree on Thor's motives and agree to agree that any agenda in a team should not be pursued by media.
I agree that nothing good ever comes from public comments of dissent. Add to that his agent's back-pedaling and trying to re-write the spin—I could do without that even more.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
I think it's funny that a rider, whom many refer to as a second rate waste of a sprinter, can generate this much discussion. If the guy was half as bad as some put forth this thread would already be on page 3.

Apr 13, 2009
Visit site
[
He's often in the mix during a sprint; he poses enough of a threat to gain attention from anyone by his side; he is known to excel on certain types of finishes (like Geelong); and he's likely to win a few GT stages.
That, to me, is Thor.

I think he's been un-harshly criticized by some, as if the Rainbow Jersey is going to suddenly make him a rider he never was. Especially considering that the GT season hasn't even begun yet; the fall season still awaits; and he's adjusting to a new, unexpected, team environment.

Hushovd is no longer a big sprinter . but to say he never have been is not true.
I hope some of you remeber how he overtook mc.uen on champs . it looks like mcuen stood still.
He is trying win races from small grupes and win races that is to hard for other sprinters and the classics in the spring.
for his first goal this season he have failed.if it is the teams or hushovds fault
,perhaps both!
I cant se that farrar is a green Jersey contender. if garmin goes for him in the tour they will be without a green Jersey.

I wonder if the news that Tor Hushovd is not happy in Garmin is from Tor Himself or just som small talk from a lokal newspaper in NOrway.
If it is from Tor himself i will say he should keep his moneytalk with the team leader.
I am a big fan of Hushovd and Boasson hagen and i hope that they both will get good result this year and years to come. i think that when the sports got cleaner the norwegians will do better and better.

amatoer said:
[
That, to me, is Thor.

Hushovd is no longer a big sprinter . but to say he never have been is not true.
I hope some of you remeber how he overtook mc.uen on champs . it looks like mcuen stood still.
He is trying win races from small grupes and win races that is to hard for other sprinters and the classics in the spring.
for his first goal this season he have failed.if it is the teams or hushovds fault
,perhaps both!
I cant se that farrar is a green Jersey contender. if garmin goes for him in the tour they will be without a green Jersey.

I wonder if the news that Tor Hushovd is not happy in Garmin is from Tor Himself or just som small talk from a lokal newspaper in NOrway.
If it is from Tor himself i will say he should keep his moneytalk with the team leader.
I am a big fan of Hushovd and Boasson hagen and i hope that they both will get good result this year and years to come. i think that when the sports got cleaner the norwegians will do better and better.

Good post. I think you've captured his strengths well.

Parrulo said:
oscarito tommeke and pippo would like to have a talk with you :p
Oscar Freire isn't fast enough anymore, Thor usually beats him in those kind of sprints (stage 6 tdf 2009 as a fitting example). Pozzato won't outsprint Hushovd, but he might get second or fourth. Boonen...well ok, I can agree on that one :p

TRENDING THREADS