• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Hushovd not entirely happy with Garmin-Cervelo

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Apr 13, 2009
Visit site
meandmygitane said:
That you only answered about a fifth of my points, is it something I should think of as important (eg that you don't have the answer for them)

My thoughts on this:
1) So if he can win with 200 meters of 5% he can win on 500 meters of 5%? I think if you slice the course in too thin slices it can be very deceptive.
2) My point is that the last kilometre is deciding the sprints in these cases (with exceptions of course), don't you consider the finish in Copenhagen harder than Geelong

Please show me where Hushovd has won where the last kilometre or last 500 meters is at least 4%.
If you do that I will consider Hushovd the number one favourite for 2011 worlds, deal? :D

if you have looked of the change of hushovds skills the last 2 year i will say that if 2-3% was good for him before 4-5 is in the same area now.
He is a lot better climber now. with a 85% oxigen intake he for sure have the Engine.

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
amatoer said:
if you have looked of the change of hushovds skills the last 2 year i will say that if 2-3% was good for him before 4-5 is in the same area now.
He is a lot better climber now. with a 85% oxigen intake he for sure have the Engine.

What has he done to convince you that he is a better climber now? Does it really correlate with sprinting uphill? Worlds evidently suited him with 2-3% and that was last year.
Facts on the table please: numbers, placings, profiles, citations - substantiate your claims with anything really. The 85% VO2-max is how old now?

And really, my argument is that he is better than those who he is left after the sprinters are shed after tough climbs and a long course, I think Copenhagen can favour both sprinters (because of no big, steep climbs) and classic's riders (because it can be possible to attack in the climb to the finish). So the competition will be a lot fiercer, it is a different category of parcours than those Thor usually wins (which is: bumpy ride but a sprinter finish)

And until you or anyone find a result where he has done well in a uphill sprint with at least 4-5% I am not convinced.

EDIT: Gonna post in the Worlds thread about Gilberts chances, considering stage 19 of Vuelta 2010 when he beat Farrar in a uphill sprint
EDIT2: Here it is

sorry but you just linked us to a video that is called "hushovd attacks on the col du tourmalet" when the grahic clearly shows he is 134k from finishing line.

and that wasn't an attack if the peloton wanted they could have brought him back in 10 secs

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
amatoer said:
meandmygitane said:
What has he done to convince you that he is a better climber now?
The only sprinter who can follow hushovd in hard finishes is freire .

If you can t see that Hushovd is a better climber now than he was only 3 years ago i cant help you mister.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8auzNncIp0

That is called Showbiz. I believe he could have done that years ago if he wanted, don't you? How many breakaways have you seen in cycle races? Are they always the best climbers? Hell no, they are there because the peloton lets them and because they want to.

As I already lauded Hushovd for - he survives climbing better than the rest of the SPRINTERS, good on him.

If he will win against sprinters in a sub-minute short, uphill sprint is a totally different matter, sprinters who are not going to be dropped on a big 12%, 1km mountain this time around.

But rejoice, new data suggests that the hill is only 4,3% for 400m.

TRENDING THREADS