• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

I’m disappointed that I didn’t win but I think Matthew is a 'suitable' champion.

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Nov 26, 2010
Visit site
ericfalcon said:
According to Horner, its all about what you have for dinner.

Or what you didn't have for dinner. Sounds like he was starving himself. Also, don't forget the morning beet juice! Or is that Garmin's juicing program?

Nov 26, 2010
Visit site
MD said:
Well if you're going to question Busche ya really have to question Taylor Phinney. Racing against the big boys after winning the jersey last year his TT results are pathetic. Makes you wonder what he was on last year.

Any wattage data available on his two rides?
Is it safe to say that the LA investigation has plenty of US riders spooked about doping now?

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
he won a sprint against somone who could have happily retired 3 years ago. While there is substantial reason to believe that George doped 5 years ago, that is not confirmation that he is definitely doping now.
Lets not get too excited about Busche just yet.

Martin318is said:
he won a sprint against somone who could have happily retired 3 years ago. While there is substantial reason to believe that George doped 5 years ago, that is not confirmation that he is definitely doping now.

Agreed, I wasn't asserting that Busche was doped or that George is currently on a program. He seems to have attempted to distance himself from those years to recover his personal integrity.

I was simply calling attention to the post race fatigue and retrospect Big G may have been expressing (i.e. admission) when he rightfully acknowledged the victor.

Only time will tell for Big B, in the meantime, he's a winner!

Chapeau!

Meanwhile, what's up with the most tainted team in the sport at the top of all of the leader boards? They learned the Blue Train lessons well.

Martin318is said:

That may be the fairest assessment.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
TubularBills said:
So... Graceful George muffs his swansong... defers to young talent... and with characteristic dignity admits that the right man won.

So does 'suitable' mean, 'considering I doped throughout my career'?

...and how is it that the two 'Mavericks' of American cycling shunned the capstone event.

(perhaps because it isn't sponsored by a pharmaceutical company?)

http://carolinacyclingnews.com/2011/05/23/horner-and-leipheimer-not-starting-us-pro-championships/

bull****.

What a moronic post and thread! Are you seriosuly saying that because George said 'suitable champion' that he means because he doped in his career? Is it possible that he means he is a suitable champion because he has been riding great and rode a great race so he is suitable to be the national champion for a year?

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
veganrob said:
Yeah, it's a b!tch when some youngster on your old program beats you at your race. Ha.
It is impossible to think that anyone who rides for Bruyneel is clean. Suitable is the correct word allright.

Bruyneel may be no different than any other director in that his riders spend a lot of time on their own and are thus unwatched 24/7. Picture a nanny following them around to keep the kids out of trouble. Intra-squad testing requires lots of money in the budget. Right now, I am just pretty dubious about any high level athlete, but to say it absolutly so is just wrong until there is a evidence, trial and conviction.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
BillytheKid said:
Bruyneel may be no different than any other director in that his riders spend a lot of time on their own and are thus unwatched 24/7.

I don't know if you've noticed, but the allegations from numerous riders who've ridden for Bruyneel are that he's run teams with wide-spread institutional doping, practices encouraged by the team.

BillytheKid said:
Right now, I am just pretty dubious about any high level athlete, but to say it absolutly so is just wrong until there is a evidence, trial and conviction.

I don't see where a single person said Busche is absolutely doping. I certainly don't think that's a fair statement to make. The fact is, almost no one knows for sure. The other fact is, given the alleged history of his DS and his incredibly rapid ascension, it's a reasonable question.

To those who said that "he simply won in a sprint against some ostensibly clean riders", keep in mind this wasn't a field sprint with 40 guys, it was a race of attrition where 4 incredibly strong guys held off a pretty big group. So it wasn't like it was a lucky win, it was an incredibly big performance.

His podium in the TT 2 days earlier probably took about 10% more power than he did the year before, considering he went >2 minutes faster on nearly identical equipment and very similar conditions. He's relatively new to the sport, but he's not new to high level endurance training. So in the end, there's really no telling if it's talent or a white lunch bag. Given the legacy of his current team though, it's a legitimate question.

BillytheKid said:
Bruyneel may be no different than any other director in that his riders spend a lot of time on their own and are thus unwatched 24/7. Picture a nanny following them around to keep the kids out of trouble. Intra-squad testing requires lots of money in the budget. Right now, I am just pretty dubious about any high level athlete, but to say it absolutly so is just wrong until there is a evidence, trial and conviction.

Wake up and smell the coffee dude.

TRENDING THREADS