• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

i Bike computer powermeter

Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
what is this ibike powermeter? is it something like SRM powertaps? I've checked their site but didn't think it was really clear what they were doing? can someone explain please?

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
Michielveedeebee said:
what is this ibike powermeter? is it something like SRM powertaps? I've checked their site but didn't think it was really clear what they were doing? can someone explain please?

It measurs power by calculation it has heart monitor speed and cadence it seems too good to be true but some pro teams are using them.

The basic starts at $199. but the pro top end is around $800 USD. You can upgrade from basic at any stage.

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
Michielveedeebee said:

The ibike, as far as I can tell, takes a number of variables (speed, incline, wind resistance, rolling or aerodynamic resistance and rider/bike mass) and calculates what your power output must be based on those variables. So to move at 20 km/hr up a 12% grade into a 12 km/hr headwind on a 22 pound bike with a 170 pound rider requires X watts. It doesn't measure watts "directly" like pt or srm, but indirectly.

I don't think anyone can fault the math of it all (physics is like that), but from what I've read on different forums, the issues that come up time and again are the real world difficulties of consistently and reliably taking all those variables into account.

I tried to order one yesterday, but the website failed to take my money. More later if we can overcome the real world difficulty of getting money from my wallet into their bank account through the ether:)

May 15, 2010
Visit site
The 1st reviews I read when these were originally out on the market (what is it? 4 years now) were really pretty vicious.

I don't know how far they've come, but initially there was serious qc issues as well as set up and reliability.

If I was going to jump into an $800 cycle computer, I'd have to ask myself what I really needed it for and if I REALLY needed one, aren't there better ones out there for 'just' a few hundred $ more?

What is the return policy on these in case you are unhappy with it?

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
bobs *** said:
If I was going to jump into an $800 cycle computer...

It's $200 (although it costs another $100 to get cadence!!). Reviews have improved and set-up appears not to be the convoluted chore that it used to be described as. srm and most pt require a computer as well, so cost goes up considerably over even the most basic models.

I was about to buy one when now I see that Powertap has the "comp" which comes in at $500... hmm.... not sure what to do now. One of the cool things about the ibike is that it gives you wind and incline feedback and you can switch it easily from one bike to another. The cool thing about the pt is that you know it's going to work.

So if it's reliable it's an inexpensive training tool; but if it's unreliable then it's an expensive paperweight. If it's reliable then it leaves me with a bit of money left over for new wheels; and if it sucks I can always sell it on ebay.

May 13, 2009
cycling.davenoisy.com
I believe the iBike is more accurate the longer your ride is..so if you want to get the gist of your 3hr ride, it'll be pretty good.

If you're doing short intervals, 30sec, 1-5mins, or any sprinting, it's never going to be very accurate.

If you're the TT-type, it might be alright. If you can afford a bit more for the PowerTap, it's really worth it. I'm getting on 3yrs of use, and am very happy with it (the SL Wired version.)

Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
bc_hills said:
The ibike, as far as I can tell, takes a number of variables (speed, incline, wind resistance, rolling or aerodynamic resistance and rider/bike mass) and calculates what your power output must be based on those variables.

how can it possibly measure those things :p

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I have been using the I Bike for a 3 weeks. I have never used a pt or srm on my bike, I do have a CycleOps Indoor Cycle,
The watts I put out on the I bike are comparable to the watts I can put out on the I bike.
It seems like a very good way to gauge my progress, Time will tell.

Vegan Dave said:
If you're the TT-type, it might be alright. If you can afford a bit more for the PowerTap, it's really worth it. I'm getting on 3yrs of use, and am very happy with it (the SL Wired version.)

It looks like there would be a problem with it on a TT bike because of positioning. The iBike needs to measure wind velocity. Presuming you put it on your stem, I would imagine that your arms on the aerobars would shield at least some of the wind and throw off readings. I suppose you could account for this by adjusting drag figures, but I would think that would require a windtunnel. Might as well spend a few hundred bucks for the PT.

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
El Oso said:
It looks like there would be a problem with it on a TT bike because of positioning. The iBike needs to measure wind velocity. Presuming you put it on your stem, I would imagine that your arms on the aerobars would shield at least some of the wind and throw off readings. I suppose you could account for this by adjusting drag figures, but I would think that would require a windtunnel. Might as well spend a few hundred bucks for the PT.

I noticed on the ibike website that you need to add a "remote wind sensor" in order to use the ibike in TT position. Once you add on all the stuff you need to get to make the ibike to meet the feature list of the powertap comp, you're spending more than for a powertap! It's quickly not seeming a bargain at all.

Thanks for all the feedback!

TRENDING THREADS