• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

I hate Astana/Disco, but I love Saxo/CSC...

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Apr 12, 2009
Visit site
BigBoat said:
The Postal/ Disco/ Astana has a formulative, unique, "program" is all we can conclude.

But if I was contradope, I would not have been so super super "jacked" for that TT. It looked really unusual. One thing you must consider is that total wattage (total power) trumps watts per kilogram (power to weight) in a dead flat time trial. So a big strong guy will always beat a little guy of equal talent provided the big guy is aero'd to the nines. I can say Contador probably weighs 130 pounds and Wiggans is atleast 175... Wiggans was jacked by the way... Everyone who finished Paris-Nice probably was.

There are some big "separators" in the Astana "program" versus the CSC/ Saxo bank "program."

What about levi he looks like a tooth pick and yet he is one of the top time trialist, bigger guys usually win flat time trials because of your "watts per kg" but contador is now a team leader that means more time perfecting his time against the clock, so are you saying that cycling should be a predictable sport where only the big guy can win a time trial, and I still have hope for cycling unlike you where every time somebody puts in a great ride u immediately say oh he must be doped up, I don't turn a blind eye to doping but I still have hope.

And don't separate Astana from CSC/ Saxobank frankly you dont know whats going on inside the pro peloton, you can only assume.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
franciep10 said:
What about levi he looks like a tooth pick and yet he is one of the top time trialist, bigger guys usually win flat time trials because of your "watts per kg" but contador is now a team leader that means more time perfecting his time against the clock, so are you saying that cycling should be a predictable sport where only the big guy can win a time trial, and I still have hope for cycling unlike you where every time somebody puts in a great ride u immediately say oh he must be doped up, I don't turn a blind eye to doping but I still have hope.

And don't separate Astana from CSC/ Saxobank frankly you dont know whats going on inside the pro peloton, you can only assume.

I said the Astana "program" is clearly better. Levi & Contador appear to have the highest highest FTP/kilo and also the highest total FTP (all out 1-hour power).

When Lance is racing the Giro and "tuned up" he will be up there too.

I'm not saying racing should be predictable but if you look at the past (Eddie Merckx was at about 160-165 pounds) and he destroyed Time Trials... LeMond was a freak Time trialer but he didnt always win the TTs because he was a bit smaller (148-150.) Fingon was heavier and a good TTer. Gosh whom else... Indurain was huge and destroyed TTs obviously in the epo, Dr. Ferrari era. In fact Indurain's doctor has written several sports medicine articles but his name evades me. Padilla I think it was....

If you look at Roberto heras (about Contrador's size) he never was a great dead flat TTr... So its pretty freaky and F--d up that this young man (132 pounds tops) destroys larger guys like Guttierez, Zabriskie just to name a couple.

Apr 10, 2009
Visit site
I have to agree with the sarcasm of the original poster. I don't really get the anger and attacks directed at the Astana/Disco/Postal team while others go relatively unscathed. Is there now justification for a "lower level" of cheating or is this a black/white issue? Do we cheer CSC/Saxo because they seem to have less of a "program" than Astana, or do we call them all out as cheaters? Do we question Quick Steps dominance in the classics? It is, after all, almost as complete as Astana's in the Grand Tours. This is not an attack on the pro peloton, I understand the pressure of having to provide a livelihood for your family. I am a dedicated cycling fan but I have lived my sporting life rather ideaologically wishing and hoping that all would compete clean for the purity of the sport. To me the minute you cross that line, you are a cheater, pure and simple, regardless of whether or not you do it with machine like precision or less so and are caught red handed on occasion.

What I do not understand at all is the doping that takes place in amateur cycling. I would never risk my health to become a "legend" in my local crit community, but that is a different issue entirely.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
slowoldman said:
Is there now justification for a "lower level" of cheating

I dont think so.... I hope people will question Garmin, question BMC, question all these teams... Much more logical however, there are certainly "draggers" and people that just get "dragged." Like a Betsy Andreau coin.

Apr 12, 2009
Visit site
Personally I detest Astana but you have to treat teams equally, although astana appear to have a tainted history there is no proof of organised doping so dont criticize one team because they win alot and turn a blind eye to another team with the same history, eg CSC