• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

I just have to ask ? Marianne Vos

MacRoadie said:
Well, Vos is only 25 and was a junior World Champion at 19 in both cross and the road.

To compare her to a Longo who won her last French TT championship at 52 might be a bit unfair...for now.

I have to ask. How many active female pro cyclists does the OP know by name, by heart? It's a biiiiit easy to make the Longo comparison. Especilly as (we) the Dutch had Leontien van Zijlaard-Moorsel. Dominant in het own time. Notice how she had pretty much the same TT speed as the midpack men in Athens? Just the distance was different (for some sexist UCI/IOC reasons).

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
After her win at the Olympics I was expecting this thread :p
Anyway I think she is clean, for obvious reasons.

Seeing her dominance from a young age, on various types of courses (road,track,cross) and the consistency of it .. well you can clearly say/see she is very talented.

Maybe testing is less done is women's cycling but I'm sure given her record she had plenty of occasions to test positive if she really was doping, even now at the olympics some woman was positive for EPO.
She also looks like a genuine honest person, I know that doesn't mean much in pro cycling but these are women .. also, the stakes are way lower, I heard Vos on this subject and she isn't hitting big money with it.

Rumors have it she has a Vo2max in the range of some of the Rabobank guys. If that's true, it very well explains her dominance. Any lesser pro cyclist would tear it up vs the women so if Vos is somewhere near that she's on top of the game (which she is).
*e.g.: average domestic pro ftp = 5.6w/kg, that's world class for women

On a side note, when I see some of the women in pro cycling .. they could easily drop some extra "luggage", no disrespect just an observation. In a sport where weight means so much it makes me wonder their interests. Given the fact that women's cycling generally doesn't make much money, maybe some just do it as a hobby and have jobs beside cycling.

wannab said:
On a side note, when I see some of the women in pro cycling .. they could easily drop some extra "luggage", no disrespect just an observation. In a sport where weight means so much it makes me wonder their interests. Given the fact that women's cycling generally doesn't make much money, maybe some just do it as a hobby and have jobs beside cycling.

Have to agree. After debacles such as with Van Moorsel's issues battling anorexia, people may have become overly cautious training what's supposed to be elite female athletes. Just because Serena Williams a whole lotta woman, doesn't mean a woman should expect to be very curvy AND be competitive on an Olympic level.
Vos is skinny, but not scary skinny like M. Rasmussen. Women may be more sensitive in performance when fat percentage drops too much, I am not sure.
Anyways, Vos is not exactly dragging around excess luggage in the form of female curves or baby padding. She's an Olympic level road cyclist, what would you expect? Now compare her with whomever was 20th in the Olympic race. I bet you can tell a difference. Vos is not taking prisoners. Not saying she lost 7kg (as dominant male riders have been known to) and then show up with a bulky torso and tennis like arms.
That said, don't challenge her for arm wresting. With these kind of women, the ones who made boys cry, nothing good is going to come from it.

Caruut said:
I would really like to see her compete against the men, going OT a bit. Perhaps a post-Tour crit or something?

Post-Tour crit would be absolutely useless as that's anything but serious. Some small Spanish race would be interesting: relatively short stages, level of competition high, but obviously lower than in ProTour.

That said, I think the difference in physiology between men and women is just too big in a sport like cycling.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Arnout said:
That said, I think the difference in physiology between men and women is just too big in a sport like cycling.

Exactly this. Seriously. Its interesting in for example swimming. 14 or 15 year olds chrushing their senior opposition sometimes. If a 15 year old would've competed in a worldtour race. He wouldve been out the back so quick we wouldnt even notice

Cloxxki said:
Now compare her with whomever was 20th in the Olympic race. I bet you can tell a difference. Vos is not taking prisoners. Not saying she lost 7kg (as dominant male riders have been known to) and then show up with a bulky torso and tennis like arms.

For the record, 20th place was Pia Sundstedt.

5916064209_42353fd31e_z.jpg

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
Arnout said:
Post-Tour crit would be absolutely useless as that's anything but serious. Some small Spanish race would be interesting: relatively short stages, level of competition high, but obviously lower than in ProTour.

I thought the issue was that the UCI were being fools and that the post-Tour crits were non-UCI.

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
The only woman I've seen able to throw it down with moderate-level men was Genvieve Jeanson, and we all know why that was...

NO WAY even the best woman could play with the big boys, and that's not being sexist, that's being honest.

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
JMBeaushrimp said:
NO WAY even the best woman could play with the big boys, and that's not being sexist, that's being honest.

I'd like to see Vos kick some men's @sses though, would be awesome :D
I really have no idea what's possible, beating smaller fish? maybe

Any data (ascent times, wattages, ..) on Vos? I'm lazy :rolleyes:

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
JMBeaushrimp said:

Beryl Burton

In 1967, she set a new 12-hour time trial record of 277.25 miles[3] – a mark that surpassed the men’s record of the time ... While setting the record she caught and passed Mike McNamara who was on his way to setting the men's record at 276.52 miles and winning that year's men's British Best All-Rounder. She is reputed to have given him a liquorice allsort as she passed him.

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
Izzy eviel said:
What sort of training do the women do? I get the impression some train full time and others only part time.

they should be doing the same as men, intensity wise.

Since women's cycling is greatly unpublicized and thus a lot less money involved, I do think some just need to work to maintain you know, unless they all have rich husbands :)

Top pros like Vos can earn up to 80,000 euros per season, but many women pros receive salaries as low as 6,000 euros per season. One journalist who covers the women’s scene closely said up to a quarter of the women’s peloton is not paid at all.
http://velonews.competitor.com/2011/09/news/top-women-pros-say-they-deserve-minimum-salary-guarantee_193399

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
D-Queued said:
Moderate level?

Dave.

Not PT pros, top ams, but not Nat'l team level.

Moderate level.

That also includes her destroying the entire German National Team at Redlands a dozen or so years ago. That was ***. Petra Rosner actually came through the feed zone with Worrack, shaking her head and laughing...

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
Should also add that I've seen Vos race for over a decade, and she's been killing it all along. Nothing overtly suspect, apart from being a smart, strong and aggressive racer all along.

That woman's a hammer!

JMBeaushrimp said:
Not PT pros, top ams, but not Nat'l team level.

Moderate level.

That also includes her destroying the entire German National Team at Redlands a dozen or so years ago. That was ***. Petra Rosner actually came through the feed zone with Worrack, shaking her head and laughing...

I was suggesting she was better than that... definitely strong enough to hang with top ams.

Dave.

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
D-Queued said:
I was suggesting she was better than that... definitely strong enough to hang with top ams.

Dave.

Sorry, that was my elitism coming through...

At her top blood levels, she'd have no problem crushing ams on climbs or TTs.

TRENDING THREADS