• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

I think I'm going bald?

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
New here, so forgive me if this is a tired topic, but what's up with all the hair loss in the peloton? It seems most of these guys are going bald, and at a fairly young age. I know genetics have much to do with it, ( certainly in my case...) but am I correct in assuming it may have to do with testosterone or some other substance? I've heard that excessive testosterone is a factor in baldness, but is this the same kind of hormone that athletes use to boost performance? I just thought this might be a curious link. I guess losing a full head of hair might be a small price to pay to win a GT.;)

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
UncleFester.jpg

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
Uncle Fester

scribe said:

I didn't know Uncle Fester was a bike racer. Doesn't look like a climber to me, more likely the burly one day racer type who excels at tough courses and then morphs into a stage racer with the aid of PEDS because that's where the money is...or am I thinking of someone else...he who shall not be named.;)

Anyway, I don't fault Fester for his PED use. He had to do it to escape the dreary poverty in his native country of Slobovia. It was either that or work in the dental floss fields.

Here in Belgium, standing on a bench in the main shopping street on a busy Saturday afternoon is very much like being on a boat at anchor.

No figures for you, but the baldness must be a majority here. Put a crowd of Belgian guys on a hill and you have your very own freckle-spattered cobbled berg.

OP says he thinks he's going bald. Are you sure it's not just a widow's peak or a corrie lake happening up there? My dad's been going bald for the best part of 50 years and he hasn't needed to do a combover yet.

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Signor Corleone

frowsey said:
New here, so forgive me if this is a tired topic, but what's up with all the hair loss in the peloton? It seems most of these guys are going bald, and at a fairly young age. I know genetics have much to do with it, ( certainly in my case...) but am I correct in assuming it may have to do with testosterone or some other substance? I've heard that excessive testosterone is a factor in baldness, but is this the same kind of hormone that athletes use to boost performance? I just thought this might be a curious link. I guess losing a full head of hair might be a small price to pay to win a GT.;)

"I think I'm going bald.
A great song by Canadian Rock band Rush...

I have noticed an apparantly unusual high % of bald or balding young Italian men. Testosterone levels is what they say, though this may be more in line with Mediterranean machismo.

As far as cyclist go, I've heard the physical stress has effects. Though I'm just as inclined to think that drugs play a part. Perhaps its both.

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
Sex raises testosterone levels, too, you know.

Success in the peloton = more available women?????? Eg Cipo, right?

Of course, Cipo isn't bald yet, either, but there is still time.

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
War the Vlad Mullet

on another note, ever notice the local roadie boys who dig on themselves and their kits who ride with out helmets? they tend to have the best hair lines and the least amount of gray

I wonder?

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
There are three theories here that I see emerging here.

1. Testosterone supplementation accellerates male pattern hair loss.

2. Helmet wearers deprive their hair of UVa radiation necessary for hair growth and thus helmets accellerate hair loss.

3. Lance Armstrong's haircut around the time of the 2010 Giro is clear and irrefutable evidence that he must be doping, despite not testing positive.

The UCI need to develop a hair passport to catch these cheaters and ban weaves!

Is this a wig? We need to develop a wig test NOW!
lance_armstrong-shorthairstyle.jpg