• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

ibike power meter and intervals

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
Just a quick question for anyone using the ibike power meter...

Do you find it useful for interval training? For example, say you're riding along on the hoods during a recovery portion of a session and then you're in the drops for a short burst of peak power, does the ibike give you the feedback you need to make the intervals work?

For example, if my workout calls for 310 watts for 30 secs, will the ibike give me that kind of short duration accuracy?

Hope this question makes sense.
Thanks!

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
forty four said:
i assume you mean 310 watts for 30min not 30sec lol.

Um, actually that would have been for a one legged drill:D!

But seriously, when you're on a climb, does getting out of the saddle effect anything, or does it just spew out data without missing a beat? What about the sway effect of out of the saddle uphill sprinting, any issues there? Just trying to think of all the ways the ibike might not be suitable for short intervals.

I think I'm just going to order it and see how it goes. There's no powertap in my budget this summer.
Thanks!

bc_hills said:
Um, actually that would have been for a one legged drill:D!

But seriously, when you're on a climb, does getting out of the saddle effect anything, or does it just spew out data without missing a beat? What about the sway effect of out of the saddle uphill sprinting, any issues there? Just trying to think of all the ways the ibike might not be suitable for short intervals.

I think I'm just going to order it and see how it goes. There's no powertap in my budget this summer.
Thanks!

Did you order one?

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
bp@RiderSurance.com said:
Did you order one?

It is excellent on climbs and there doesn't seem to be any issues with instantaneous feedback regarding sprinting or intervals.

In perfect (non-windy) conditions, it seems to perform as advertised and I am happy with it, but if it's windy, the thing is useless with data bouncing all over the place in ways that can't make sense. And crosswinds make it absolutely $hit itself.

Also, it's a little finicky in terms of maintaining its calibration.

Mine's for sale if you're interested.

May 20, 2010
Visit site
bc_hills said:
It is excellent on climbs and there doesn't seem to be any issues with instantaneous feedback regarding sprinting or intervals.

In perfect (non-windy) conditions, it seems to perform as advertised and I am happy with it, but if it's windy, the thing is useless with data bouncing all over the place in ways that can't make sense. And crosswinds make it absolutely $hit itself.

So does the sale imply purchase of SRM/PTap or similar??

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
JA.Tri said:
So does the sale imply purchase of SRM/PTap or similar??

SRM will always be outside my budget (whenever I have that kind of money laying around, it's gonna be spent on a bike or skis!)

I guess I'd get a PT if I were to get another power meter, but to tell you the truth, I'm not down with the gadgets these days. Too much data and science seemed to be taking the fun out of the ride so I'm switching to a fun-o-meter for the season...

bc_hills said:

Thanks for the response. Have you had other power systems before?

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the response. Have you had other power systems before?

Nope.

The following errors occurred with your submission:
The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.

bc_hills said:

Email me I am interested. Thanks.
bp@RiderSurance.com

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
one word...JUNK...I had one a few years ago and the readings were all over the place. Having to do coast downs every other week to calibrate it sucks. I have a powertap comp and it works 100% better and was cheaper...

fabramowski said:
one word...JUNK...I had one a few years ago and the readings were all over the place. Having to do coast downs every other week to calibrate it sucks. I have a powertap comp and it works 100% better and was cheaper...

I agree to disagree lol

If you get the $800 iBike Dash + Power system that they offer that measures power wattage off wind resistance, speed, and cadence, the wattage readings will not be 100% as DFPM's. However the iBike Dash Basic for $199 allows you to use your iPhone as the computer/display and it will accept Ant + DFPM readings from cranks like cyclops, srm and quarq or the powertap hub's to give you the exact readings you are used to. Plus you don't have to have your phone in your back pocket.

You get live gps, lap counter, overlay of routes to race your previous rides that you can train against, 1 touch email ride files to training peaks instead of uploading, wind readings, Hr, Cadence, Hill slope, cda etc... So basically everything all of the other systems give you and more plus you save weight.

You are carrying your phone anyhow so why add the additional cost and weight of another computer that doesn't have the functionality of the iPhone?

*I do not work or represent iBike in any form or fashion haha

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
I agree to disagree lol

If you get the $800 iBike Dash + Power system that they offer that measures power wattage off wind resistance, speed, and cadence, the wattage readings will not be 100% as DFPM's. However the iBike Dash Basic for $199 allows you to use your iPhone as the computer/display and it will accept Ant + DFPM readings from cranks like cyclops, srm and quarq or the powertap hub's to give you the exact readings you are used to. Plus you don't have to have your phone in your back pocket.

You get live gps, lap counter, overlay of routes to race your previous rides that you can train against, 1 touch email ride files to training peaks instead of uploading, wind readings, Hr, Cadence, Hill slope, cda etc... So basically everything all of the other systems give you and more plus you save weight.

You are carrying your phone anyhow so why add the additional cost and weight of another computer that doesn't have the functionality of the iPhone?

*I do not work or represent iBike in any form or fashion haha

I paid $500 for a new powertap comp rear wheel with electro pack and use my smart phone with a free google app that tracks all the other stuff for free. so it's cheaper for me since I don't have an iphone...(junk too)...:D So paying $200 for iBike Dash Basic + $200 for iphone + $1000 for wirless power meter = $1400. $500 sound good to me.....

fabramowski said:
I paid $500 for a new powertap comp rear wheel with electro pack and use my smart phone with a free google app that tracks all the other stuff for free. so it's cheaper for me since I don't have an iphone...(junk too)...:D So paying $200 for iBike Dash Basic + $200 for iphone + $1000 for wirless power meter = $1400. $500 sound good to me.....

What google app is it?

TRENDING THREADS