• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

If I get back into cycling, does it mean I have to shave my legs?

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
luckyboy said:
I did this two days ago and it is by far and away the worst decision I have ever made.

I felt that way the first time I shaved. After a few rides, I decided I couldn't ride without them shaved ever again. It takes a couple times to get used to it, but eventually it becomes a routine.

The only thing I hate about it is that I'm vary fair skinned and can't maintain a tan. Hairless legs just accentuate it. Living in south florida, if you don't have a tan by early march, you're somewhat looked looked down upon.

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
luckyboy said:
Its not how they look, but they really really itch badly :(

Anyway, I have tights, so I'm just going to wear them.

Read the leg shaving thread at RBR.

Pretty much the only decent thing on that forum

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
luckyboy said:
Its not how they look, but they really really itch badly :(

Anyway, I have tights, so I'm just going to wear them.

This is going to sound so girly :eek:, but after shaving, let cold water hit them and then moisturize; it soothes the skin. Since I started doing that, they rarely itch.

It was a lot better than yesterday anyway, but What you said seems to have made it better. Thanks :)

Bought some Vaseline moisturizer yesterday - "Yeah my girlfriend told me to get something to stop yr legs itching after shaving, but I can't remember the name of it now." :p

A

Anonymous

I guess being Asian I am lucky that i don't have lots of hair on my body in general. Plus I'm light brown so the hair on my legs kind of blend in.

But maybe if I raced instead of just training with guys/gals that race then I'd probably shave. Otherwise, I'll just remain lazy and not shave anyway.

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
luckyboy said:
It was a lot better than yesterday anyway, but What you said seems to have made it better. Thanks :)

Bought some Vaseline moisturizer yesterday - "Yeah my girlfriend told me to get something to stop yr legs itching after shaving, but I can't remember the name of it now." :p

For me when i shave them for the first time every season they itch like that. for me it is because the skin dries out the first couple of times. After a couple of weeks my skin gets used to it and does not dry out like that anymore.

Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
I shave for vaious reasons, the road rash thing, to fit in with training partners(I don't race however) feels good, and the ladies seem to like it! Also if you have never had a massage on shaven legs you are seriously missing out of one of lifes little pleasures.

You can keep you massages, sunscreens, road rashes et al. When I'm asked why I shave my legs I just say:

"Because you save 5 seconds in a 40km Time Trial, ....Kyle and Chester 1987."

Yes I've actually memorised that answer and while I've had a few confused looks I haven't had a comeback yet.

Ref FYI
Kyle, Chester R.; Zahradnik, Fred: Aerodynamic Overhaul. Streamline Your Body and Your Bike. Bicycling, Jun 1987, pp. 72 – 79

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/rinard/aero/aerodynamics.htm

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
Haven't read through this whole thread, but I think it's all upstairs (mental). When I was younger teens/20's, I felt a pressure to shave (don't want the other racers to think I'm a novice!). But when I came back to racing (in my 30's), I could care less what other riders think or ASSUME about me. I never shaved again.

Face it, weekend amateurs shave b/c they want to. Anybody who tells you otherwise is full self-delusion. I have a friend who used to be a racer, but now is married w/ kids and ONLY does weekend time trials. Yet he shaves. How's that? The only quasi-argument for shaving as an amateur is "road-rash" incurred from banging bars. If you're using the road-rash argument as a TIME TRIALIST, then I guess you're telling the world you don't know how to handle your own bike?? :rolleyes:

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
BikeCentric said:
RWNJ,
Where I ride and race there are literally ZERO riders that show up to the fast group rides or race in the Cat 3 pack that have hairy legs. Even the noobs who show up to the weekly hammerfests shave their legs before trying to hang. I never even saw or raced against a Cat 4 with hairy legs either and I was a 4 for like 4 years. Dudes that show up with hairy legs are just looked at as idiot noobs that are a crash waiting to happen and no one will give them a wheel for the most part and they have to go all the way to the back if they ever find themselves in the wind for any reason.

Wow, that's a pretty self-important group of :eek: Cat 3's :eek: you have there Bike Centric :)

BUT, the answer to the OP is "God yes, man, are you mad??". Four reasons:

1. Slick legs slide better when you go down = less road rash.

2. Road rash and hair don't mix. Ever.

3. Marginal aero advantage. Seem to recall some research along the lines of 1 second per 10km at 40kph. Or something equally unimportant unless you are racing on the track or time trials.

4. Cause you look like a knob otherwise.:D

laziali said:
3. Marginal aero advantage. Seem to recall some research along the lines of 1 second per 10km at 40kph. Or something equally unimportant unless you are racing on the track or time trials.

The research I quoted above put it a little higher than that but nonetheless on your figures that would be 4 seconds on a 40km time trial.

That's a distance of 44m at 40km/h.

Now obviously riding in a bunch skews the figure somewhat however many races are lost by only half a wheel length (350mm). So while it may be a "marginal areo advantage" as you say, it can still mean the difference between winning and losing.

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
Polyarmour said:
The research I quoted above put it a little higher than that but nonetheless on your figures that would be 4 seconds on a 40km time trial.

That's a distance of 44m at 40km/h.

Now obviously riding in a bunch skews the figure somewhat however many races are lost by only half a wheel length (350mm). So while it may be a "marginal areo advantage" as you say, it can still mean the difference between winning and losing.

If it's a pursuit or a TT I agree. As for bunch sprints I'm not so sure. 44 meters per 40kms = approx 10cm per 100 metres but it doesn't sound right does it?