• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

If there was one clean rider...

Page 11 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 6, 2016
Visit site
Energy Starr said:
In any of the TDf "wins" of the LA era, would he not be the winner of the race? If dude finished 89th, but did it clean and the first 88 finishers were dopers, is he not the deserving winner of the race? This question comes on the heels of LA yet again claiming all the guys who raced in the TDF for those years would say he is the rightful winner. And for the love of dawg, would some rider from the era please step up and say they rode the whole thing clean and they are the deserving winner? Did ANY, I mean literally ANYONE race clean? I don't care if you finished 185th...you are more deserving than LA. Am I way off here?

Mark Scanlon, the former World Junior Champion, finished 89th overall at the 2004 Tour. You betta he was clean.

Re: Re:

blackcat said:
42x16ss said:
blackcat said:
Benotti69 said:
Hayman allegedly on his trainer in the garage in preparation for his Paris Roubaix win. Yeah sure.
:D
With his injury he had no choice. Somehow, I doubt that was all he was on though.

he was on something, i reckon a little like Wiggo, he was in the crepescular career phase CCP alliterationz, and he decides to roll the dice on a bit more Edgar Poe and penguin classics
TBF, Hayman was already riding like a beast at last years Vuelta in support of Ewan and Chaves - one of the very best domestiques in the race. He was also starting his season well before he crashed.

I'd say Hayman had one last roll of the dice last year and Chaves, Ewan, Yates x 2 etc riding so well was enough for Stephens to get another year out of him.

May 14, 2010
Visit site
Zypherov said:
Energy Starr said:
In any of the TDf "wins" of the LA era, would he not be the winner of the race? If dude finished 89th, but did it clean and the first 88 finishers were dopers, is he not the deserving winner of the race? This question comes on the heels of LA yet again claiming all the guys who raced in the TDF for those years would say he is the rightful winner. And for the love of dawg, would some rider from the era please step up and say they rode the whole thing clean and they are the deserving winner? Did ANY, I mean literally ANYONE race clean? I don't care if you finished 185th...you are more deserving than LA. Am I way off here?

Mark Scanlon, the former World Junior Champion, finished 89th overall at the 2004 Tour. You betta he was clean.

The only riders to consider in terms of placement are those riding for GC. The other riders have helping roles, and aside from those few permitted to go for a stage win their only concern is making the time cut. So Mark Scanlon, or whoever, coming 89th means nothing.

In my view, in fact, the very basis for this thread - "one clean rider" - means nothing, or very little. No one able to ride for GC is doing so unassisted. The real question to ask is this: is that assistance within the rules, or not? And even that line - within the rules or outside them - isn't so well defined. There is grey area.

So, is there anyone riding for GC who doesn't stray beyond the grey area, into cheating outright? That's a question we can legitimately ask, but I doubt we'll find a legitimate answer.

Benotti69 said:
86TDFWinner said:
Benotti69 said:
When Bassons left the '99 tour so did the only clean rider in the race!

Was Boardman in that race too? If so, there's #2

Chris Boardman a clean rider? Not in my opinion!

What evidence do you have he wasn't ? If my memory is correct he used to concentrate on the prologues in the big tours which suited his background. Why would he dope ?

bigcog said:
Benotti69 said:
86TDFWinner said:
Benotti69 said:
When Bassons left the '99 tour so did the only clean rider in the race!

Was Boardman in that race too? If so, there's #2

Chris Boardman a clean rider? Not in my opinion!

What evidence do you have he wasn't ? If my memory is correct he used to concentrate on the prologues in the big tours which suited his background. Why would he dope ?

Yes, why would a rider during the height of EPO use/no hematocrit test and during the Festina Affair on a French team dope? It would be incredulous to think that would occur :rolleyes:

I think you might have to do a little better than that BigCog :rolleyes:

If you guys are going after Chris Boardman now you must post some sort of evidence or something credible that would suggest he doped other than the fact that he was a pro cyclist during the 90's.

Anything less will be deleted and possibly considered trolling.

Also: If there is some discussion worthy evidence then post it in a Boardman thread. We can make one if necessary.

May 6, 2016
Visit site
Re:

Irondan said:
If you guys are going after Chris Boardman now you must post some sort of evidence or something credible that would suggest he doped other than the fact that he was a pro cyclist during the 90's.

Chris Boardman is as safe as a house in the clean rider category. I for one would not even suggest that he doped. There are no credible evidence to suggest otherwise.

Zypherov said:
Irondan said:

Chris Boardman is as safe as a house in the clean rider category. I for one would not even suggest that he doped. There are no credible evidence to suggest otherwise.

Got Osteoporosis at a very early age but probably just an anomaly and not dope use related, uncommon in men and certainly at his age. He never tested positive or had a overtly suspicious transformation that is for sure. Being part of Festina doesn't help but not a nail in the coffin.

There was one "visibly positive" test from the prologue in 1998 with two others missing, Boardman won the prologue:

130701080412266661.jpg

He was allowed to take "testosterone" on medical grounds in 1998 but apparently never took it:

'Testosterone supplements were banned in cycling and classed as a performance-enhancing drug,' he says. 'So I applied to the Union Cycliste Internationale (UCI) in early 1998 to be allowed the therapy on medical grounds, supplying scans to support my case. They said they thought it would be fine, but then Festina happened.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/diets/article-1227777/CHRIS-BOARDMAN-I-cycling-32-I-bones-

May 6, 2016
Visit site

thehog said:
Zypherov said:
Irondan said:

Got Osteoporosis at a very early age but probably just an anomaly and not dope use related, uncommon in men and certainly at his age. He never tested positive or had a overtly suspicious transformation that is for sure. Being part of Festina doesn't help but not a nail in the coffin.

In 1998 he was told he was suffering from low bone density which due to testosterone deficiency.

SlickMongoose said:
thehog said:
There was one "visibly positive" test from the prologue in 1998 with two others missing, Boardman won the prologue:

130701080412266661.jpg

Excuse my ignorance, but what is this telling me?

From the French Senate Report and used during the USADA case:
http://d3epuodzu3wuis.cloudfront.net/Annex+1.pdf

This portion is the prologue, whereby they lost two of the tests "manquant" - "missing" and in purple shading for "Presence d'EPO recombinante" but by being in the A column it represents "Interpretation Visuelle".

Valv.Piti said:
snccdcno said:
And how credible is he exactly?

JV is not exactly the ambassador of truth but his assessment of the period and more specifically the 1998 Tour is fairly close. Vaughters even tweets he included Boardman as one of the ones using EPO.

I don't think Boardman gets the "one clean rider" prize because there is a 1 in 3 chance the EPO visual positive from the 1998 prologue is his.

There is other circumstantial evidence against him which others can post or put into his own thread.