• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

If Wiggins doesn't ride the tour, why would that be?

If Wiggins doesn't ride the tour, why would that be?

• (Most likely) Not enough TT km in the tour

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
He's afraid of Alberto ;)

Of course he is, i gave other options though but for me it's obvious.

But granted it's not dumb, look at andy. He still thinks he can beat Contador. He could have won a few giro already if he didn't only think of the tour.

It's a shame if wiggins doesn't do it, but it's not dumb for sure.

I'm just annoyed with all the excuses they're giving for him maybe not riding the tour, it's really simple.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
cineteq said:
IMO he was too stressed out from the Tour, and doesn't want to repeat it. Voted for "Give Froome a chance".

"Try and win the 2 other GT's to become a legend" is the most ridiculous reason I've heard thus far.

that's the one a guy from sky gave :D

He doesnt want to give Froome a chance. But he has to.

You dont get to have a rider as strong as Froome on a leash and decide whether he can or cannot win stages for free. Wiggins got 2012 the one that mattered. Froome gets everything else. to pay him back wiggins should work for Froome though.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Most likely reason would be because of the route but I had to vote scared of Contador :D. He's scared of Contador constantly changing the pace with his attacks. ;)

He will be at the Tour, there should be no doubt of that. But the possibility of him missing it comes down to Sky having so many options*. They can afford to mix and match five or six riders, fitting the rider to the course.

*They can put forward Wiggins, Froome, Henao, Uran, Cataldo at least - and Rogers, Porte, Sivstov and Thomas can do a GC ride too.

Thomas, a GC ride? Are we still clinging to that?

Geraint Thomas will be a very good Classics rider, but has never shown the climbing chops to become a guy who can do a GC ride in a race like Le Tour before. I know, you can point at 2009 Wiggins as an example, but that was in a very TT-biased race where he was a non-leader in a team who had sent a balanced team and for whom a top GC position was a hope more than a demand. There are too many guys above him in the GC pecking order at Sky who Thomas will have to work for for him to be putting in a GC ride even if he does put in that kind of transformation.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
Thomas, a GC ride? Are we still clinging to that?

Geraint Thomas will be a very good Classics rider, but has never shown the climbing chops to become a guy who can do a GC ride in a race like Le Tour before. I know, you can point at 2009 Wiggins as an example, but that was in a very TT-biased race where he was a non-leader in a team who had sent a balanced team and for whom a top GC position was a hope more than a demand. There are too many guys above him in the GC pecking order at Sky who Thomas will have to work for for him to be putting in a GC ride even if he does put in that kind of transformation.

Perhaps, a top ten in a Monument doesn't automatically mean you have a future in them. I don't see Voeckler winning the Ronde van Vlaanderen any time soon.

Wiggo will most likely show up but still, he wants nothing whatsoever to do with Alberto. AC is a league apart from Wiggins. There woud have to be way more TT kilometers in the TdF than there was this year for Brad to have a snowballs chance in hell.

I think he will ride the tour but he will know he carnt win it again, but to be fair to him he had a once in a lifetime chance to win it this year as the course suited him and certain other riders not in the race and he took it .
It wasn't great to watch but that's not his fault.

Captain Sensible said:
I think he will ride the tour but he will know he carnt win it again, but to be fair to him he had a once in a lifetime chance to win it this year as the course suited him and certain other riders not in the race and he took it .
It wasn't great to watch but that's not his fault.

I wholeheartedly agree with this.
I don't see Wiggins race the giro if the parcours is like the one that is rumoured. He'll race the tour because that's the most important race on the calendar, and even more so in the anglosaxon world where it's the only race that matters.

rghysens said:
I wholeheartedly agree with this.
I don't see Wiggins race the giro if the parcours is like the one that is rumoured. He'll race the tour because that's the most important race on the calendar, and even more so in the anglosaxon world where it's the only race that matters.

Well, it's been announced on Eurosport today that Sky have agreed to support Wiggins in his attempt to win the Giro and Vuelta in 2013. His aim is to win all three grand tours before he retires. If that is what he wants to achieve, fair enough. Most fans would agree that the 2013 Tour was going to be a hard ask for him. The only negative is that Froome won't have Wiggins riding for him which is a shame but the problem for Sky now is which of their best climbing domestiques ride the Tour and which ones ride the Giro ? If they ride both that won't be ideal for Froome.

It will be odd to think that Sky won't have either Wiggins or Cavendish at the Tour next year considering how important it is for the sponsor. On the other hand it will be great to see more coverage of the Giro/Vuelta in the British media.

Sky have enough climbing domestiques to split between Wiggins and Froome. Uran, Henao, Porte, Rogers, Kiryienka, Cataldo, Siutsov, Lopez, JTL? And then there's the likes of Thomas and EBH who will be very useful to Froome at the Tour.

TRENDING THREADS