• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

If you were to take one bike step up........

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I just rejoined the cycling crowd after a long hiatus. I started riding on my 26 year old Centurion. I did a lot of online research into low end, my current end, road bikes. I am still making sure I am going to stick with cycling but loving it. I landed on the Jamis Ventura Race. I bought the bike with a belief that in my price I was buying a set of components. The bike features carbon fiber fork, mono-stay and seat post. The component group was Shimano 105. Most bikes at the same price feature carbon fiber fork with maybe Shimano 105 rear but lesser front derailleur. The wheels are Formula CRX-220. Tires are Vittoria Zaffiro.

I have around 600 miles on this bike. I am already thinking of my next bike. If you were to suggest one step up into the $2,000 range what bikes would you consider. If you have no idea what that range is like god bless you and enjoy the high end.:eek:

Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Euhm decathlon has really good bikes for that price, but I don't think they exist in USA :p So you might be going for Specialized Allez with ultegra or a Tarmac SL2 with 105 and aksium wheels:) (those are around 2000€, I guess it's the same in dollars :) not sure though)
You can always try to buy models from last season in shops that couldn't sell those. I got a 2000€ discount on my Ridley Noah(2009 model) like that :) you'll find some real bargains that way.
Hope this helped

Well unless you have to sell your current bike, I would keep it. Use those components (there NOT bad) and just buy a new frame. With that kind of money and the bike market as it is, you could easily buy an incredible frame from an incredible maker on sale easily. If you found yourself loving it a lot then upgrade the components and sell off the lesser bike. Good luck:)

xmoonx said:
Well unless you have to sell your current bike, I would keep it. Use those components (there NOT bad) and just buy a new frame. With that kind of money and the bike market as it is, you could easily buy an incredible frame from an incredible maker on sale easily. If you found yourself loving it a lot then upgrade the components and sell off the lesser bike. Good luck:)

This cannot be re-stated often enough. 105 is great stuff, and I would never buy Ultegra or Dura Ace (my old bike was Ultegra 6500). I actually feel kinda sheepish for buying Centaur instead of Veloce. It's nice to lust after the more expensive groupsets, but I think they're mostly marketing. Middle of the pack amateurs like myself can get just as much out of 105/Veloce.

As xmoonx suggests, I found a good deal on a Raleigh with the above-mentioned Ultegra, which I bought with insurance money from my destroyed-by-F150 Giant OCR3 (which I still miss). Later, I found a killer deal on my current frameset, and just transferred the Ultegra. And then I got the Campy itch, and spent half a year bargain hunting for Centaur parts until I could swap out the Ultegra stuff. Now, I'm thinking about selling the old Ultegra stuff and building a new wheelset.

Upgrading is almost as much fun as riding!

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
mr. tibbs said:
Upgrading is almost as much fun as riding!
I agree
Ebay for some bits
Online retailers for end of line/discontinued (especially big ticket items where you need security)
Bikes drop value so fast you can have a top flight unit for less than a mid spec if you look at things rationally. Just be aware to keep away from "fashionable" items because that will cost for little return

You also get to upgrade the weakest points first, so the cost is spread and you get the biggest benefits sooner

Edit
I will also add chasing the lightest weight can be a folly because the goods don't last as long
I ride a 5 year old Look (which I bought new old stock in 2007 from the Distributor) and in that time some of the guys I ride with have absolutely TRASHED some super light but made in Taiwan frames, despite the fact that I am a heavier (by 15kg) and more powerful Rouleur type. These are not cheap frames, one is a Specialized Tarmac the Other a Giant TCR advanced, both approached $10k new in Australia (more now), now they are showing signs of their use, The Giant guy is onto another frame, he was happy and has another Giant... even lighter so I expect the same to happen
Mine remains solid as a rock, quality = Value

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Try a Pedal Force http://www.pedalforce.com Get a 1kg carbon frame with SRAM Rival. Should cost you about $2000 all up for a 7kg bike and some nice gear. I did this. Got a Pedal Force CG1 with SRAM Force for about 2400 after postage and it weighs 6.9kg's (kept my own wheels, pedals and seat).

May 19, 2009
Visit site
I'd get one of the chinese carbon froms from ebay and put the 105 parts on it, for $450, or buy the chinese carbon and spring for the new ultegra group and some neuvations for right at $1600 or $1700 Full carbon Ultegra is not very common at that price. But that's just me and many will diagree with me. Then I'd sell the old bike for half retail. The frames ride much better than aluminum, but not like high end carbon frames.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
That will be fine if you plan on replacing the frame in a couple of years, as I said even "good" Asian frames don't last long in the real world on real roads.
It will give a fair bit of bike for the money

Maybe look at Second Hand Titanium, I would personally never get S/H Carbon, but I would for Titanium. With the 105 bits it will last a LONG time, then when you want to step up change the wheels, then maybe the group later

Get a Cannondale CAAD9 because they are still - Hand Built in the USA!!!!

I would also say take the group off your current bike and transfer it over to the new frame.

If you don't get the Cannondale CAAD9 then you might as well get a carbon frame off ebay since that is what you will end up getting from most of the other bike manufacturers (including Cannondale) anyway.

The only frames Cannondale still builds in the USA are the aluminum road frames for the CAAD9 bikes. Even their high end carbon stuff is now coming from the far east.

There is no point to get a custom frame unless you have an unusually proportioned body. It is basically the same thing as buying custom tailored clothing. Sure the custom clothes will fit really well, but unless you have a weird body you can buy off the rack clothing that fits almost as well for far less money.

Nov 14, 2009
Visit site
Hey Tigerfish welcome back to bikes! If you have $2000 to spend then outlay on the best frame and then wheels in that order you can get. The Cannondale CAAD9 is a super frame. The predecessor CAAD 7 was a Giro winner and it is light. In the USA if you pick one up for maybe $1000 then another $1000 on Mavic Ksyrium wheels, plus your current components will get you about a 7.8kg bike. That level quality bike from a shop may cost you about $3500 in a shop. Good Luck!

Jan 13, 2010
Visit site
$2000 gets you into some nice bikes. Some more to consider--Scott CR1 Team, Cervelo S1, Felt F5 Team, Giant TCR Advanced 3. Shimano has been hinting at a new lighter, cheaper 105 groupset this summer, so you might want to wait and see what the 2011s look like. Or get a 2010 at clearance.

Personally, I have no problem with off-the-rack bikes if I can find one that fits me. But I do wish my Giant TCR had a brazed on espresso cup holder.

TRENDING THREADS