• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Ignazio Moser

I came to a conclusion for a number of reasons," he said. "From a certain point of view, I do not like cycling anymore. I felt that it was no longer my life. I found it hard ... to do work hard ... to make sense of it. I do not speak a lot of the physical effort, but just the life of the cyclist. I think that when you start doing this kind of reasoning, it is already too late.

This could be interpreted a number of ways.

However, I would guess he realised he was never going to live up to the exceptions people had of him because of who his old man is and decided to call it quits rather than have unfavourable comparisons for his whole career.

Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au
BeagRigh said:
This could be interpreted a number of ways.

However, I would guess he realised he was never going to live up to the exceptions people had of him because of who his old man is and decided to call it quits rather than have unfavourable comparisons for his whole career.

Ironically, his old man was a legend most likely due to assistance no longer available.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Dear Wiggo said:
Ironically, his old man was a legend most likely due to assistance no longer available.

You mean a following helicopter in a time trial?
OK this post was started in the clinic but what is the doping connection besides the fact he rode a bike?

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Dear Wiggo said:
Moser blood doped to something as lame as the hour record. That's no longer permissible. I am not sure why you would completely ignore this well-known fact for what you posted.

Or maybe I am.

I am too. :D

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
I think if he was going to quit due to his reluctance to dope he would have done so sooner than this - he has won a few bits and pieces and could have had an ok career
I think it is probably the latter argument that he saw what Axcel went through with his dad and decided it wasn't worth the aggravation and ridicule he would endure and he fell out of love for the sport

Good on him to take a big life decision like that and go off on his own rather than try to live off of his name

Well, he mentions in that article that he wasn't looking forward to a career as domestique. He's a big guy (relatively speaking), so probably stood out in youth races because of his physical advantage as much as his talent and realized it would be different on the pro level.

Why is it so surprising a 22 year old changes his mind about his career? When I was that age most of my friends couldn't even figure out what they wanted to major in. Cycling fans act like it would be insane to "waste" talent by not following a pro career to its natural conclusion. This guy's life will be a lot easier, healthier, and wealthier if he becomes a lawyer or dentist.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
This has almost certainly nothing to do with doping. Like most sports, cycling is top heavy with its rewards. Middle of the road cyclists don't make a lot of money. At 22 you have a pretty good idea where you stand in cycling and can still go for a different career.

It's extremely unlikely that a talent would be deterred by doping, much like talents and driven individuals aren't deterred by a bit of shadiness in other walks of life.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Dear Wiggo said:
Moser blood doped to something as lame as the hour record. That's no longer permissible. I am not sure why you would completely ignore this well-known fact for what you posted.

Or maybe I am.

Yes but wasn't blood doping legal then? Thinking 1984? Yes that is an example of breaking today's rules. I was thinking of the year the helicopter followed him in a time trial that helped him win a giro in 1984? Helicopter assistance was definitely illegal then but not blood doping.

SeriousSam said:
At 22 you have a pretty good idea where you stand in cycling and can still go for a different career.

And what rock have you been hiding under, heck GT champions don't begin to strut their stuff until mid to late 20's and some not until their mid 30's and early 40's. Geez!

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Master50 said:
Yes but wasn't blood doping legal then? Thinking 1984? Yes that is an example of breaking today's rules. I was thinking of the year the helicopter followed him in a time trial that helped him win a giro in 1984? Helicopter assistance was definitely illegal then but not blood doping.

F. Moser worked with Conconi also when he broke the record in 1994. By then Conconi was quite interested in EPO, a form of blood doping. And it was illegal, Conconi even tried to find a test for it, or so he said.