• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Il Lombardia 2019, one day classic, October 12

Page 18 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Yeah he just wants to sprint oh so much :rolleyes: I guess that's why he escaped from others at the top of the San Fermo...
At that moment he got desperate, he realized they weren't going to catch Mollema, so he tried to get over to him without the others. It didn't work. And btw, I'm a Valverde fan. after Nibali exploded, I was rooting for Valverde. When Mollema attacked, I don't think Valverde knew it was the winning ticket.

Lombardia is not such a tactical race, at least not on this parcours. Civiglio is the focal point of the race and where all recent editions have been decided, be it on the climb or on the descent.
Roglic failed to attack on Civiglio, likely because he didn't have the legs to, and lost the race there. His pulls in the final km of the climb weren't going to bring Mollema back and his attack on the flat was the depserate move of someone who knew the ship had sailed.

I don't really understand why his late attack proves he was the only one racing to win while the attacks of Gaudu, Valverde or even Bernal on San Fermo were signs of riders racing for second.

Reactions: Blanco
So much criticism of Roglic when by the biggest FAILURE in the race was Team Ineos. - When will they learn a stage race is completely different to a one day race - They unnecessarily used up their riders before the second last climb - keep these riders in reserve and no way Mollema gets away on the second last climb.

It was clear as a day that the group isn't collaborating well on Civiglio, and that things are going to get worse on the flat, cause there rider who goes full gas can gain significantly on the group who looks at each other. And it was like that, Mollema gained the most at the end of the descent and at the beginning of the flat part. That's why it was crucial to catch Mollema on Civiglio, or at the descent. They were some 16 sec behind one km from the top and they stopped and gave him 10-15 sec more. That was the biggest mistake imo, and that was the place where Roglic should go full throttle if he had the legs. He would probably drag Valverde and couple of others, but that group would later decide the race on San Fermo. This way by the time when he went it was too late
if they worked together on the flat part they would catch him but no, better to be second that having Roglic beat you

if they worked together on the flat part they would catch him but no, better to be second that having Roglic beat you
When did you saw that a relatively big group of favorites without domestiques works efficient?
Why would you assume that Roglic will beat them? Or why would they assume that?
And why are you trying to claim that Roglic was willing to work, cause it was obviously not the case?

So much criticism of Roglic when by the biggest FAILURE in the race was Team Ineos. - When will they learn a stage race is completely different to a one day race - They unnecessarily used up their riders before the second last climb - keep these riders in reserve and no way Mollema gets away on the second last climb.
I think the same pretty much applies to Jumbo, Movistar, UAE, Astana, basically anyone who thought they had a chance except Trek.

In hindsight, Trek played it beautifully. Put Skujins in the break, then when he got caught put Ciccone in the front, and he kept driving the pace until Mollema made his attack. Mollema even made his attack off a Trek wheel (not sure if it was Ciccone or Skujins, who got back to the favorites group after being in the break all day) so he was already in full flight before anyone could react.

I think in all the talk of how “wrong” Roglic, Valverde etc got it, not enough is being said about how very, very right Trek as a team got it.

When did you saw that a relatively big group of favorites without domestiques works efficient?

As we are talking about Roglič, last time i have seen it was at Giro 2019. There was a stage, with a group of favorites racing against Roglič chasing, doing that rather efficently. Anyway, it's obvious you are not a big fan of Roglič, nothing wrong with that, but as we are already going in circles, discussing about things already discussed, best to move on.

As we are talking about Roglič, last time i have seen it was at Giro 2019. There was a stage, with a group of favorites racing against Roglič chasing, doing that rather efficently. Anyway, it's obvious you are not a big fan of Roglič, nothing wrong with that, but as we are already going in circles, discussing about things already discussed, best to move on.
On the contrary, I quite like Rogla as a rider, I just don't share his and couple of other posters here opinion about this particular race. That's all. As you said, we're moving on.

Dearest all, I read a lot of your comments, but I don't post a lot.
Mostly I can read the strategy (or lack of it) in races or where they went wrong,..
But it really bugs me now - what tactics or how should Roglic ride to win (keep another team rider, made alliaces in the bunch,..? - he was not super strong (one attack), Mollema was strong, others in group waiting,...)
Thank you for your answers

Why would you assume that Roglic will beat them? Or why would they assume that?
And why are you trying to claim that Roglic was willing to work, cause it was obviously not the case?
they sure worked efficiently when roglic tryed to catch Bauke, no question in my mind roglic was willing to work in the flat.
I guess based on results this year and in the last week they would assume that

TRENDING THREADS